Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NFL

Thanks
    Thanked 11,713 Times in 7,769 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NFL

With the recent movement of Justin Fields, Mac Jones and Kenny Pickett...all 1st round picks from just the past few years, the reality of just how rare and difficult it is to draft an above average starter much less an elite QB is glaringly evident.

For fun I went though every QB drafted in the 1st round since 2014, and rated their status as of today.

Year Pick Player Team Staus
    2023 1 Bryce Young Carolina Uneven first year
    2 C.J. Stroud Houston Budding star 1st year
    4 Anthony Richardson Indy Incomplete Injured
    2022 1 Kenny Picket Pittsburgh Probable bust - not with drafting team
    2021 1 Trevor Lawrence JAX Above averge starter
    2 Zach Wilson NYJ Bust
    3 Trey Lance San Fran Probable bust - not with drafting team
    11 Justin Fields Chicago Probable bust - not with drafting team
    15 Mac Jones NE Probable bust - not with drafting team
    2020 1
    Joe Burrow Cincy Elite Superstar
    5 Tua Tagovailoa Miami Above averge starter
    6 Justin Herbert LAC Above averge starter
    26 Jordan Love Green Bay Above averge starter
    2019 1 Kyler Murray Arizona Below average starter
    6 Daniel Jones NYG Below average starter
    15 Dwayne Haskins Washinton Bust
    2018 1 Baker Mayfield Cleveland Uneven - possible average starter
    3 Sam Darnold NYJ Bust - average backup
    Josh Allen Buffalo Elite Superstar
    10 Josh Rosen Arizona Bust
    Lamar Jackson Baltimore Elite Superstar
    2017 2 Mitchell Trubisky Chicago Bust - average backup
    Patrick Mahomes KC Elite Superstar
    12 Deshaun Watson Houston Below average starter
    2016 1 Jared Goff LAR Above average starter
    2 Carson Wentz Philly Bust - average backup
    26 Paxton Lynch Denver Bust
    2015 1 Jamies Winston Tampa Bay Bust - average backup
    2 Marcus Mariota Tennessee Bust - average backup
    2014 3 Blake Bortles LAX Bust
    22 Johnny Manziel Cleveland Bust
    32 Teddy Bridegwater Minnesota Bust - average backup

Excluding 2023 picks, that's 29 QB's drafted in the first round.

My count is...

4 - Elite Superstars
    5 - above average starters
    3 - below average starters
    1 - uneven - possible average starter
    4 - probable Bust - not with drafting team
    6 - Bust - average backup
    6 - Bust - undeniably so

Only 13.7% of the 29 are "elite superstars"

31% are either elite or above average starter

55% are a bona-fide Bust, probable Bust or Bust and average backup.

Only ONE of the "elite superstar" or "above average starters" has actually won a Super Bowl.

Sometimes it pays to look at the situation from 10,000 feet. We are all disappointed that the Bills have not even gotten to a Super Bowl in 30 years, but, man, we are better off than the overwhelming majority of the NFL teams who are scrambling in the dark, searching desperately for what we already have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 661 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NF

I might be unpopular for saying this, but there's only 1 maybe 2 elite QBs in this league - Mahomes and maybe Burrows.
    Jackson looks great in the regular season because his athleticism allows him to feast on bad and average defenses, but he can't elevate himself or the others around him when it matters.

Josh has shown elite traits from time to time and there are times where he does things even Mahomes could only dream of doing. But he's just not consistent enough.

3. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-21-2024)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,922 Times in 4,373 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: The Bills Are Blessed with One of a Only a Handful of the Rare Elite QB in the NF

Now imagine Mahomes on the Bills and Allen on the Chiefs.

Would the Chiefs be just as good with Allen?

Would the Bills be just as good with Mahomes?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I might be unpopular for saying this, but there's only 1 maybe 2 elite QBs in this league - Mahomes and maybe Burrows.
    Jackson looks great in the regular season because his athleticism allows him to feast on bad and average defenses, but he can't elevate himself or the others around him when it matters.

Josh has shown elite traits from time to time and there are times where he does things even Mahomes could only dream of doing. But he's just not consistent enough.
    Give me Reid or Taylor as OCs anyday and twice on Sundays.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Now imagine Mahomes on the Bills and Allen on the Chiefs.

Would the Chiefs be just as good with Allen?

Would the Bills be just as good with Mahomes?

We've spent a LOT of posts on that subject.

I do not think (at this point in time) there is any question, and I backed up my premise with a plethora of facts and evidence that....

If Mahomes was on the Bills (since 2017), they would have two or three SB wins.

If Josh Allen was on the Chiefs (since 2018), they woulds not have any.

But that's not the point of this thread and that horse that has been beaten to a bloody death....no need to rehash the same arguments.

I disagree with Kenny, "there's only 1 maybe 2 elite QBs in this league - Mahomes and maybe Burrows."

There is no question that there are four QB's drafted since 2014 that I deemed "Elite Superstar".

As I have posted before with a LOT of detail, The Athletic ranks QB's every year and out them into Tiers. This is not the opinion of journalists but rather the well informed expert opinion of current NFL professionals.....NFL coaches, GM's, coordinators, talent evaluators and QB coaches that are "granted anonymity to share unvarnished evaluations" to place each starting QB into "Tiers".

Instead of using the word "elite" they use "Tier 1". They define that as...

"Tier 1 - A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations. He has no real holes in his game."

2023 Tiers, reflecting the 2022 season had FIVE QB's....

Mahomes
    Burrow
    Allen
    Rodgers
    Herbert

Slightly different than my four "elite" (drafted since 2014) but my observation includes 2023 season. It will be interesting to see what their Tiers are when they publish in July.

My list was only QB's drafted since 2014. I include Lamar Jackson in "elite" because he raised the level of his play in 2023. Conversely, I believe that Herbert took a step back last year.

It remains to be seen if Rodgers maintains his "elite" status. I suspect he will.

Josh Allen took three years to climb into Tier 1 territory.
    2023 – JA got 44 Tier 1 votes and 6 Tier 2.
    2022 – JA’s first year obtaining Tier 1 status his voting average was 1.22 for Tier 1 (they do not give vote totals every year)
    2021 – JA got 20 Tier 1 votes and 30 Tier 2. He was deemed a “Tier 2” that year.
    2020 – JA got 4 Tier 2 votes, 40 Tier 3 and 6 Tier 4. He was deemed a “Tier 3” QB.
    2019 – JA received 18 Tier 3 votes, 36 Tier 4 and 1 Tier 5. He was deemed a “Tier 4” QB.

He is unquestionably an "elite" QB. And I am grateful that the Bils have him and will have him for years to come.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

SO, you think Burrow is elite, but not Josh?

OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Nota,

This thread is going to bring out the stupidest and most idiotic of this site.

8. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-18-2024),Novacane (03-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,608 Times in 6,162 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Nota,

Beat me to it .... sorry Kenny Burrow is very good ......... but is much much less without his insane level of WR quality that he's surrounded by.

Take away Higgins bye bye Burrow ...... take away Chase bye bye Burrow.

Send those two to Buffalo hello MVP Super Bowl Josh Allen.

Burrow needless to say provides no threat with his legs.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post

OK.

- - - Updated - - -

Nota,

Yeah...there is that chance for sure.

But, after seeing the movement of QB recently with well over half of NFL team desperately trying to find "their guy" with both the 2021 and 2022 draft class being dismally poor, it struck me on how blessed the Bills are.

With the realization that Josh Allen was never sure thing (if there are any "sure things"...I doubt it) it felt like the right time for the 10,000 ft view.

If one seriously looks at every teams QB situation there are not that many that are content for today and, especially the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,313 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Lawrence, Stroud and Love may end up in the Elite category soon.

But, did you really need all that to prove that it’s hard to draft a QB? It took us 20 years after Jim Kelly before we found Allen. Miami was about the same between Marino and Tua. Since Elway, the Broncos got a couple decent years out of Peyton and that’s it. Chicago has never had a good QB in the modern era.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,424 Times in 7,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh lacks something only Mahomes has but Josh is still an elite QB. 29 or 30 other teams would trade their current QB for JA in a heartbeat.

13. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-19-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Beat me to it .... sorry Kenny Burrow is very good ......... but is much much less without his insane level of WR quality that he's surrounded by.

Take away Higgins bye bye Burrow ...... take away Chase bye bye Burrow.

Send those two to Buffalo hello MVP Super Bowl Josh Allen.

Burrow needless to say provides no threat with his legs.

Availability factors into elite as well. Burrow has missed large parts in 2 of his 4 seasons. You want to tell me Mahomes is elite and Josh isn't I'll politely disagree. Tell me Burrow is elite and Josh isn't? Get the **** out of here!

15. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-20-2024),notacon (03-19-2024),yordad (03-20-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Lawrence, Stroud and Love may end up in the Elite category soon.

But, did you really need all that to prove that it’s hard to draft a QB? It took us 20 years after Jim Kelly before we found Allen. Miami was about the same between Marino and Tua. Since Elway, the Broncos got a couple decent years out of Peyton and that’s it. Chicago has never had a good QB in the modern era.

Makes what GB has done unbelievable. If Love develops into an elite QB they should be cursed to 100 years of bad QB play when he's done.

17. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-19-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't see Allen as an Elite QB until he achieves Elite. Allen has Elite abilities but not an Elite mind for the game. He's really just an average guy being carried forward on exceptional physical abilities and athleticism.

Can he become Elite? Perhaps. But time is ticking and it doesn't look like McDermott has the mustard to help it happen and even if he does he's proven it is probably going to take longer than Josh Allen's career to get there.

If you want Josh Allen to be Elite he's going to need to be matched with a different head coach -- and that is just a chance of a possibility not any guarantee.

19. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-21-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

13% isn't rare either...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Typ0 View Post
    I don't see Allen as an Elite QB until he achieves Elite. Allen has Elite abilities but not an Elite mind for the game. He's really just an average guy being carried forward on exceptional physical abilities and athleticism.

Can he become Elite? Perhaps. But time is ticking and it doesn't look like McDermott has the mustard to help it happen and even if he does he's proven it is probably going to take longer than Josh Allen's career to get there.

If you want Josh Allen to be Elite he's going to need to be matched with a different head coach -- and that is just a chance of a possibility not any guarantee.
    LOL!

22. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-19-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Anyone who thinks Josh is not elite isn’t paying attention. It takes more than a ****ing QB to win a Super Bowl

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    Anyone who thinks Josh is not elite isn’t paying attention. It takes more than a ****ing QB to win a Super Bowl
    Then why is he all too often trying to do it all himself?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,859 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Then why is he all too often trying to do it all himself?
    The Bills developed quite the running game after Brady took over. Down the stretch when every game matters, you put the ball into the hands of your best player, that being #17.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    Availability factors into elite as well. Burrow has missed large parts in 2 of his 4 seasons. You want to tell me Mahomes is elite and Josh isn't I'll politely disagree. Tell me Burrow is elite and Josh isn't? Get the **** out of here!
    Awesome observation.

Josh Allen has the longest streak of consecutive games of 99 without missing one because of injury.

He has only missed FOUR games in his whole career, due to injury between week 7 and 10 his rookie year in 2018 due to sprained right elbow. He was listed as "questionable" for that game and probably could have played.

The Bills came out on fire that day against the woefully bad Jets blowing them out 41-10. Barkley got the start and his first pass was a 47 yard completion to Robert Foster. The next play, Sean McCoy ran 28 yards for a TD, and the Bills led 7-0 after 49 seconds. They out gained the Jests...er....Jets the first quarter 186-1. No need to bring the promising rookie in.

Last game Josh Allen has missed because of injury was week 10, 2018 vs. those NYJ.

He is built like a brick ****house and plays like a bulldozer.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Then you have a badly warped definition of what an "elite QB" even means.

28. Post thanked by:

Novacane (03-19-2024)