Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiefs free-agent S Mike Edwards visiting Bills

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,080 Times in 4,277 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Chiefs free-agent S Mike Edwards visiting Bills

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    If Edwards is starting, then the S position is in BIG trouble. The guy has started 28 of his 75 NFL games. He's on his 3rd team in 3 years. He's a spot starter at best.
    Same could've been said for Hyde

2. Post thanked by:

Michael82 (03-21-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,308 Times in 15,455 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think the Bills are quietly replacing the worn out parts on the engine with new old stock.

4. Post thanked by:

Michael82 (03-21-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,483 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Just mho, but I think the over the hill signings have a lot to do with McDermott and his yesterday vet fetish because tomorrow is scary if a guy was just drafted and we won't play anyone unless we have to because omg we want to get somewhere and we can't do this because my collar is too tight and I can't breathe.
    Which is precisely why drafting 11 players is complete bunk. There is no room for 11 rookies. At very best 3 of them see the field, and the practice squad isn't going to be all rookies. Bills have to maximize their draft equity and get players who are real day one starters regardless of cost. I don't care if they trade 6 of the 11 picks away, get players who will see the field. McD can barely start 1 rookie. and quite frankly if we have 3 low draft round rookies starting we're screwed.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Turf View Post
    Which is precisely why drafting 11 players is complete bunk. There is no room for 11 rookies. At very best 3 of them see the field, and the practice squad isn't going to be all rookies. Bills have to maximize their draft equity and get players who are real day one starters regardless of cost. I don't care if they trade 6 of the 11 picks away, get players who will see the field. McD can barely start 1 rookie. and quite frankly if we have 3 low draft round rookies starting we're screwed.
    Brown started as a rookie

O'Torrence started every game as a rookie

Edmunds started every game as a rookie

McDermott will play rookies, they just have to be good enough to see the field.

7. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (03-21-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Brown started as a rookie

O'Torrence started every game as a rookie

Edmunds started every game as a rookie

McDermott will play rookies, they just have to be good enough to see the field.
    Not in the same season.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Realistically I can see 2DTs, 1 DE, 2 Safeties, 1 CB drafted to make the team on defense.

On offense, 2 WRs, 2 O-Linemen, 1 RB.

That's 11 already. Ideally we get a starter from WR, DT (rotation), DE (rotation), safety. But probably unlikely that many.
    Last edited by ghz in pittsburgh; 03-21-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Realistically I can see 2DTs, 1 DE, 2 Safeties, 1 CB drafted to make the team on defense.

On offense, 2 WRs, 2 O-Linemen, 1 RB.

That's 11 already. Ideally we get a starter from WR, DT (rotation), DE (rotation), safety. But probably unlikely that many.
    Do you mean this coming season?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,702 Times in 7,762 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
    Solid signing, gives flexibility in the draft. They still need to replace Morse
    They already have. McGovern will do just fine.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes. There is literally no one behind Oliver and Jones. Almost nada in FA market. It is a safe gamble they will get 2. They will count on at least 1 being involved heavily into rotation, so one might be drafted high. Reminds me of a McCargo, Kyle Williams draft year. Hope we get one outstanding starter out of that.

DE is a premium a position. I see Beane continue to swing there, especially with Von Miller situation. I admit this one may not start that much because I can see them go to them prototypical raw talent route to shoot for an eventual star.

Safety wise, I think they will let Hamlin walk next year, and they really need someone now. On CB, not extending Douglas beyond this year tells me that they'd prefer to draft a guy this year.

Receiver wise, without saying they will be looking for talent, preferable X type receivers. I think they will double dip. O-Line, Morse, Bates are gone. Did we replace them with any new signings (not someone that was on the roster last year)?

13. Post thanked by:

tomz (03-21-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yes. There is literally no one behind Oliver and Jones. Almost nada in FA market. It is a safe gamble they will get 2. They will count on at least 1 being involved heavily into rotation, so one might be drafted high. Reminds me of a McCargo, Kyle Williams draft year. Hope we get one outstanding starter out of that.

DE is a premium a position. I see Beane continue to swing there, especially with Von Miller situation. I admit this one may not start that much because I can see them go to them prototypical raw talent route to shoot for an eventual star.

Safety wise, I think they will let Hamlin walk next year, and they really need someone now. On CB, not extending Douglas beyond this year tells me that they'd prefer to draft a guy this year.

Receiver wise, without saying they will be looking for talent, preferable X type receivers. I think they will double dip. O-Line, Morse, Bates are gone. Did we replace them with any new signings (not someone that was on the roster last year)?
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

I can see the draft going something along these lines:

WR--starter this year
    Safety--Starter this year
    DT--Starter next year/heavy rotation this year
    Center--Starter possibly this year, if not next
    DE--Backup this year, possible future starter
    Corner--same as DE

I also think they will draft multiple DTs and probably a RB at some point too

15. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-22-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Generally agree. The thing is, some of the positions (interior OL, for example) do not require early rounders unless you think they need to plug and play. Rotational DTs, possibly the same (thought I do like the big dude from Texas). Note that they are also covered for a couple years with Jones. Safety is another non-premium position and they do seem to know their DBs. RE: Miller, they see him every day and may have a different view but, yes they do take lots of swings at DE.

I
    I’m thinking WR in R1 if they see a real talent they like. But with all of the other QBs, WRs, DEs and OTs going, who’s to say they might not take the attitude that ‘hey we can get the best in the draft at this other position”? Like C or S or DT.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    Generally agree. The thing is, some of the positions (interior OL, for example) do not require early rounders unless you think they need to plug and play. Rotational DTs, possibly the same (thought I do like the big dude from Texas). Note that they are also covered for a couple years with Jones. Safety is another non-premium position and they do seem to know their DBs. RE: Miller, they see him every day and may have a different view but, yes they do take lots of swings at DE.
    In the Bills D system, D Line play is very important, especially now we have small-ish linebackers across the board. Daquan is 32, not an age you can count on performance and quick recovery. Last year when he came back, you are looking at a different player from the early season. I'd not be surprised that internally fro the Bills, purely from a needs perspective DT might rank very very high, even #1.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,601 Times in 6,155 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In the Bills D system, D Line play is very important, especially now we have small-ish linebackers across the board. Daquan is 32, not an age you can count on performance and quick recovery. Last year when he came back, you are looking at a different player from the early season. I'd not be surprised that internally fro the Bills, purely from a needs perspective DT might rank very very high, even #1.
    I wouldn't be shocked if their guy is there or gets close enough to trade up to get.
    33 - Coleman - WR
    60 - Bishop - Safety
    95 - Carter - DT

Thanks
    Thanked 11,702 Times in 7,762 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

I can see the draft going something along these lines:

WR--starter this year
    Safety--Starter this year
    DT--Starter next year/heavy rotation this year
    Center--Starter possibly this year, if not next
    DE--Backup this year, possible future starter
    Corner--same as DE

I also think they will draft multiple DTs and probably a RB at some point too
    In other words the usual churn of players relying (mostly) on the draft to become starters or quality backups.

Like the 15 starters that have been the result of the drafts since 2017.

Although I disagree on...

"Safety--Starter this year" - signing S Mike Edwards and extending Rapp has made the need to draft a S to start right away much less critical. The best scenario is to draft a S in round 3 or later and maybe he can be an instant success like Benford was.

I was of your mind UNTIL they signed Mike Edwards.

I also believe that McGovern as starting C is almost cast in stone for 2024. Although they will spend some draft capital on IOL depth and maybe a guy that can show enough promise to compete at C for 2025.

I think DE and DL are higher priorities than S & C.

We all agree on the need for a quality WR that can step into the #2 position form day one. That will depend on how the WR class falls in round one.

NO ONE will be surprised if the Bills use some of those 11 draft picks to move up to grab the guy they value.