• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

Re: PSLs… Who is buying?

Originally posted by sukie View Post
    How much tax does one pay on profits of a value?… just asking for a friend.
    With the (dumbfoundedly legal) tax strategies of the filthy rich, aided by one party that wants to get rid of ANY estate tax????....hardly any.

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by sukie View Post
      How much tax does one pay on profits of a value?… just asking for a friend.
      (Snicker snicker).

Nice.

Comment

• sukie
        • Sep 2012

Some think you tax unrealized gains… precious.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Pegula hasn't made anything on the team. He paid 1.4 billion in sep 2014....cash. 119 million a year would take 11 years and 7 months to recover initial investment...that would be in 2026.

I still feel bad for season ticket holders.

Comment

• sukie
            • Sep 2012

20k gets one a huge 84 inch 8k tv Dolby Atmos set up. A killer theatre seating set up and a nice hotdog roller and popcorn machine.

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

PSLs suck, but it's a way of life for most sports now.

Locally, the Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, and Mavericks all have PSLs. Even the local high-school football teams have PSLs.

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Here's the story of a guy who entertains clients in a suite. Now he's being moved into regular seats, lol.

Season ticket holder shocked at $400,000 price tag to keep seats at the new Bills Stadium

Comment

• Historian
                  • Dec 2002

"Family Friendly"

Comment

• Historian
                    • Dec 2002

Comment

• sukie
                      • Sep 2012

That would be a cool dome but naming rights would be tricky

Highmark Death Star ? Nothing sells health insurance better than death

Comment

• notacon
                        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                        Pegula hasn't made anything on the team. He paid 1.4 billion in sep 2014....cash. 119 million a year would take 11 years and 7 months to recover initial investment...that would be in 2026.

You obviously don't understand what "making money" or "return on investment" means. Sorry, but operating profit is only one part of "making money" with a NFL team. The idea that "119 million a year would take 11 years and 7 months to recover initial investment" is incorrect and would only be justified if the VALUE of the asset DID NOT INCREASE ONE PENNY during that time.

Pegula has ALREADY made a LOT on the team and recouped his original investment some time ago when the value of the team topped $2.8B....double the $1.4B he paid for it.

The VALUE of that team he bought with $1.4 Billion has already produced a $2.3 BILLION "profit" (or "return") of his original investment....with the value of the team increasing from $1.4B to $3.7B (some have the value pegged even higher)....that's is about a 10% rate of return, NOT EVEN CONSIDERING the yearly operating profit.

If one assumes a $100M operating profit per year for 10 years that pushes the rate of return up to 13%. While the increases in value for the team continues to rise ever higher.

Mr Pegula "recovered his initial investment" some time ago, as both increase in value (if he sold the team) and operating profit piles up and shows no end in sight (especially considering it's GUARANTEED income stream (that is ever increasing via TV contacts) and GUARANTEED LIMITED labor cost (due to CBA that limits payroll to per-determined percentage of sales....I know of no other business with this model)

As a small business owner in the past I would have LOVED to have this type of cushy, RISK FREE business model.

In FACT, the value of the Bills is expected to rise ANOTHER $2.3 BILLION in just four years, in 2028 to a whopping $6 BILLION!!!

I have no problem with Pegula raking in as much money as he can, nor do I have any issue with NFL teams ever increasing value. They deserve it for developing such a wildly popular entertainment venture that regularly enjoys about 95 of the top 100 rated TV programs every year.

BUT, he is getting hundreds of million in public tax money already.....again, I don't have a serious issue with that since the Bills and a gem of a stadium reflects and promotes the Buffalo area positively and gives the people of WNY, NYS and fans all across the nation and world something to enjoy and support.

BUT, basically CRAPPING on the loyal fans who have put up with mostly a **** product for the majority of the teams 64 year existence, who support this team no mater WHAT....and disrespecting them squeezing ANOTHER $200 MILLION out of them (because he can) when he is reaping MASSIVE RICHES (on top of the already obscene wealth) seems a bit repulsively repugnant and selfish to the nth degree.

Comment

• sukie
                          • Sep 2012

It’s not a rate of return until sold. It’s unrealized gain when you speak of value.

Comment

• Mace
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                            You obviously don't understand what "making money" or "return on investment" means. Sorry, but operating profit is only one part of "making money" with a NFL team. The idea that "119 million a year would take 11 years and 7 months to recover initial investment" is incorrect and would only be justified if the VALUE of the asset DID NOT INCREASE ONE PENNY during that time.

Pegula has ALREADY made a LOT on the team and recouped his original investment some time ago when the value of the team topped $2.8B....double the $1.4B he paid for it.

The VALUE of that team he bought with $1.4 Billion has already produced a $2.3 BILLION "profit" (or "return") of his original investment....with the value of the team increasing from $1.4B to $3.7B (some have the value pegged even higher)....that's is about a 10% rate of return, NOT EVEN CONSIDERING the yearly operating profit.

If one assumes a $100M operating profit per year for 10 years that pushes the rate of return up to 13%. While the increases in value for the team continues to rise ever higher.

Mr Pegula "recovered his initial investment" some time ago, as both increase in value (if he sold the team) and operating profit piles up and shows no end in sight (especially considering it's GUARANTEED income stream (that is ever increasing via TV contacts) and GUARANTEED LIMITED labor cost (due to CBA that limits payroll to per-determined percentage of sales....I know of no other business with this model)

As a small business owner in the past I would have LOVED to have this type of cushy, RISK FREE business model.

In FACT, the value of the Bills is expected to rise ANOTHER $2.3 BILLION in just four years, in 2028 to a whopping $6 BILLION!!!

I have no problem with Pegula raking in as much money as he can, nor do I have any issue with NFL teams ever increasing value. They deserve it for developing such a wildly popular entertainment venture that regularly enjoys about 95 of the top 100 rated TV programs every year.

BUT, he is getting hundreds of million in public tax money already.....again, I don't have a serious issue with that since the Bills and a gem of a stadium reflects and promotes the Buffalo area positively and gives the people of WNY, NYS and fans all across the nation and world something to enjoy and support.

BUT, basically CRAPPING on the loyal fans who have put up with mostly a **** product for the majority of the teams 64 year existence, who support this team no mater WHAT....and disrespecting them squeezing ANOTHER $200 MILLION out of them (because he can) when he is reaping MASSIVE RICHES (on top of the already obscene wealth) seems a bit repulsively repugnant and selfish to the nth degree.
                            You are incorrect despite another wall of text. That's all I feel I have to say because you didn't even comprehend that the value of the franchise is not realized until sold and don,t comprehend that paying money means you pay it back before realizing profit on basic expenditure.

This is basic accounting and I still feel bad for season ticketholders.

You also still don't grasp the public money by terms is repaid by the end of agreement. It"s not free public money, it's a long term loan. Try to look past the end of your nose.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Mace View Post

Good Evening Mr. Mace:

You are aware that American tax rules enable the Owner of a NFL franchise to write off the purchase price of the acquired NFL team over 10 years as Goodwill?

In other words, Terry Pegula wrote off $140M per year for the past 9 years against business profit he made elsewhere.

I feel it has been a pretty good deal for this Mother Fracter.

Comment

• Clumpy
                                is looking for the Southern Cross for the first time!
                                • Mar 2022

My wife and I are not likely to renew. We have 2 seats in Sec 230 and it's looking like 15-20K per seat PSL plus tickets at around 7.5K per seat (est.) and parking. We live a little over 2 miles from the stadium so we could just walk but that's a limited savings. If we win Mega Millions or Powerball - full speed ahead

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍