Clear All
  • notacon
    • Aug 2012

Re: It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Sean is right, of course.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
      I’d rather watch the Bills win 10-12 reg season games and make the playoffs, winning the division every year, even without a Super Bowl, rather than ever live thru the drought again.

We also have hope right now where before we were simply hoping to win more than we lost.
      +1000

Most of the youngsters here, many (if not most) did not even start watching the Bills until when they were close to and getting into Super Bowls (the Jim Kelly Era). 1988 was their first 12 win season since 1964 (when the AFL played two fewer games).

Which means if you are younger than about 50 years old today, you were weaned on superlative Bills teams.

Old timers like me (and a handful of others) had to enure many, MANY more years MUCH, MUCH worse than the "drought years".

I watched every road game (home games were blacked out then...even Monday night games if not sold out 72 hours before kickoff) and listened to every other game on the radio.

Even the "Comeback game" in 1992 vs Houston was blacked out. I was living near Albany, NY at that time so I was able to watch it live.

Anyway, those under-50 fans have been SPOILED. You did not have to enure ONE win seasons (twice between 1964 when I first became a fan and 1986 when Jim Kelly era started) or TWO win seasons (three times) or even THREE win seasons (twice).

The WORST you ever had to tolerate was ONE FOUR win season, Kelly's first year as Bills QB....when everyone knew those days were coming to a rapid end. There was FOUR FOUR win seasons between 1964 and 1986.

In the "drought years" there were only ONE three win season and ONE four win season. Oh woe is me!!!

That's ELEVEN 1,2, 3 or 4 win seasons out of TWENTY TWO between 1964 and 1986. Compared to only THREE of those (one THREE win and TWO FOUR win) in the THIRTY SEVEN years since the Jim Kelly Era....the youngsters here football life.

Cry me a river because you have to enure five 10+ win, FIVE consecutive playoffs and four consecutive AFCE title seasons but not SB appearances YET in the Josh Allen Era that is still in it's infancy.

Comment

• Saratoga Slim
        • Jul 2005

You can say that they're a successful franchise and still want more. Those are not exclusive concepts.
        Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• Novacane
          • Jul 2002

He's right about the success part but calling a significant portion of your fan base narrow minded is stupid.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
            +1000

Most of the youngsters here, many (if not most) did not even start watching the Bills until when they were close to and getting into Super Bowls (the Jim Kelly Era). 1988 was their first 12 win season since 1964 (when the AFL played two fewer games).

Which means if you are younger than about 50 years old today, you were weaned on superlative Bills teams.

Old timers like me (and a handful of others) had to enure many, MANY more years MUCH, MUCH worse than the "drought years".

I watched every road game (home games were blacked out then...even Monday night games if not sold out 72 hours before kickoff) and listened to every other game on the radio.

Even the "Comeback game" in 1992 vs Houston was blacked out. I was living near Albany, NY at that time so I was able to watch it live.

Anyway, those under-50 fans have been SPOILED. You did not have to enure ONE win seasons (twice between 1964 when I first became a fan and 1986 when Jim Kelly era started) or TWO win seasons (three times) or even THREE win seasons (twice).

The WORST you ever had to tolerate was ONE FOUR win season, Kelly's first year as Bills QB....when everyone knew those days were coming to a rapid end. There was FOUR FOUR win seasons between 1964 and 1986.

In the "drought years" there were only ONE three win season and ONE four win season. Oh woe is me!!!

That's ELEVEN 1,2, 3 or 4 win seasons out of TWENTY TWO between 1964 and 1986. Compared to only THREE of those (one THREE win and TWO FOUR win) in the THIRTY SEVEN years since the Jim Kelly Era....the youngsters here football life.

Cry me a river because you have to enure five 10+ win, FIVE consecutive playoffs and four consecutive AFCE title seasons but not SB appearances YET in the Josh Allen Era that is still in it's infancy.
            Calling any Bills fan “spoiled” is outright laughable.

sounds like you feel entitled to gatekeep fandom on some seniority level.

arrogant as always.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
              • Mar 2004

He’s not lowering the bar, he’s simply acknowledging where we’re at and how far we’ve come. If you don’t think he and every person at OBD is doing everything in their power to win a SB, you’re crazy. Only one team gets to win every year and it takes more than just talent and coaching to do so. It takes a LOT of luck too with injuries, scheduling, weather, other teams failures, etc. I know that sounds like a bunch of crappy excuses but it’s true. One team is able to rise above it all each year and 31 other teams fail.
              You could call a season where you don’t go winless successful. You can raise or lower the bar all you want really.

Funny how Brady and Mahomes are always do “lucky”. Unless you mean lucky to have two of the best HCs ever. Too bad we don’t. We have a guy who gets defensive because it’s not all “good job skippy!!”

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                The goal when they sucked was not a superbowl.

Anyone who says or thinks that is delusional.
                yes. It was. It is EVERY year. Even if Ralph refused to spend to win. Even if the team was trash and coached by a moron.

The inherent goal of EVERY season is to win the Super Bowl. Even when the owner has the goal of max profits and your chances are horrible. That’s why they play the games.

if not, you shouldn’t be in the league.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

He’s not lowering the bar, he’s simply acknowledging where we’re at and how far we’ve come. If you don’t think he and every person at OBD is doing everything in their power to win a SB, you’re crazy. Only one team gets to win every year and it takes more than just talent and coaching to do so. It takes a LOT of luck too with injuries, scheduling, weather, other teams failures, etc. I know that sounds like a bunch of crappy excuses but it’s true. One team is able to rise above it all each year and 31 other teams fail.
                  I’m so tired of the “only one team can win every year” line. The Chiefs have 3 in 4 years. THREE. I’m not saying we have to do that, but at some point it HAS to be our year or this whole thing has been a failure.

“It’s better than the drought “
                  “31 other teams didn’t win the title either.”

That absolutely is lowering the bar.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    I’m so tired of the “only one team can win every year” line. The Chiefs have 3 in 4 years. THREE. I’m not saying we have to do that, but at some point it HAS to be our year or this whole thing has been a failure.

“It’s better than the drought “
                    “31 other teams didn’t win the title either.”

That absolutely is lowering the bar.
                    How many dynasties who won 3 or more SBs in such a short time frame?

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                      +1000

I’m only 46 but I’ve watched every game possible since 86’.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
                        yes. It was. It is EVERY year. Even if Ralph refused to spend to win. Even if the team was trash and coached by a moron.

The inherent goal of EVERY season is to win the Super Bowl. Even when the owner has the goal of max profits and your chances are horrible. That’s why they play the games.

if not, you shouldn’t be in the league.
                        Dude. It was not the goal. You watched those teams. They didn’t spend money, they let almost every free agent walk. Not once did I say before the season “if they don’t win a Super Bowl the season will be a failure”

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

The goal when they sucked was not a superbowl.

Anyone who says or thinks that is delusional.
                          Yes it was (is). Just as much as it is now. Everybody understands it's a process, and when they sucked the process was at the very beginning.

We're seven years in now and the process has been stalled for about three.

Just as when they sucked the process needed something to improve, where they are now something needs to improve.

If I own a junk car that's a piece of **** I expect it to break down. If I invest millions of dollars on a brand new, shiny toy I should expect it to get me where I want to go without failing.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            Yes it was (is). Just as much as it is now. Everybody understands it's a process, and when they sucked the process was at the very beginning.

We're seven years in now and the process has been stalled for about three.

Just as when they sucked the process needed something to improve, where they are now something needs to improve.

If I own a junk car that's a piece of **** I expect it to break down. If I invest millions of dollars on a brand new, shiny toy I should expect it to get me where I want to go without failing.
                            You just proved my point.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                              • Mar 2004

Dude. It was not the goal. You watched those teams. They didn’t spend money, they let almost every free agent walk. Not once did I say before the season “if they don’t win a Super Bowl the season will be a failure”
                              Again.... Was Ralph's top priority winning it? Not particularly. His top interest was profits. But... he would have said "you should go out and win with these players" even on the cheap.

Were they handcuffed by his cheapness? Yes. Did they still try to win the SB despite it? Yes. Did they have any real hope? No. But the Coaches, Players and fans were all still trying.

It is the INHERENT goal of the NFL to win the SB.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                                • Mar 2004

You just proved my point.
                                No he didn't.

His POS car is still trying to get to the same destination. Will he be surprised when it breaks down? No. But he was still trying to get to the destination.

Comment

Working...
                                X