Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Bills head coach Sean McDermott knows that a Super Bowl is the ultimate goal, and his team has fallen short in each of his seven seasons at the helm. But don’t tell him Buffalo hasn’t had success.

McDermott told Tom Pelissero of NFL Network that the Super Bowl isn’t the only measure of a coach’s accomplishments, of quarterback Josh Allen’s accomplishments, or of the team’s accomplishments.

“I think like anything, when you talk about the Bills, whether it’s Josh, myself, our team, we’ve had so much success,” McDermott said. “What’s left for Josh and for all of us is to take that one more step that we need to take. To say we haven’t had success or Josh hasn’t had success, I think would be kind of narrow-minded. It’s hard to win in the NFL, so you kind of regroup every year, and you take it one game at a time. But we’re all looking for Josh to really be that face of the franchise, like he’s been, and continuing to evolve, like he’s always done.”

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,081 Times in 4,278 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Oh this is going to bring all the crybaby haters to the yard

3. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (03-24-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,858 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I’d rather watch the Bills win 10-12 reg season games and make the playoffs, winning the division every year, even without a Super Bowl, rather than ever live thru the drought again.

We also have hope right now where before we were simply hoping to win more than we lost.

5. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-25-2024),Oaf (03-26-2024),Saratoga Slim (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,312 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Loser talk. If Josh Allen is your QB and you can’t win even one title, it’s a failure.

7. Post thanked by:

Canadian'eh! (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    I’d rather watch the Bills win 10-12 reg season games and make the playoffs, winning the division every year, even without a Super Bowl, rather than ever live thru the drought again.

We also have hope right now where before we were simply hoping to win more than we lost.
    Yeah, it’s better than that, but it’s an extremely low bar. The Patriots won 6 during our drought. Mahomes already has 3. 1 in 58 SB’s shouldn’t be too much to ask.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We already have one of the greatest QB’s to never win a title in Jim Kelly.

Those early 90’s teams had 6 HOF’ers plus a HOF coach and GM. They shattered all kinds of records, including one that will prob never be broken in the number of consecutive conf titles.

History is repeating itself. We have another team getting wins and putting up monster numbers but failing to win the big prize.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Loser talk. If Josh Allen is your QB and you can’t win even one title, it’s a failure.
    Are things much better than the 20 years of fail? Absolutely.

But do I want a Head Coach whose attitude is “we did pretty good”? Absolutely not. There’s levels to success. We aren’t a laughingstock anymore, and if that’s your goal…. Mission accomplished.

But the only true goal of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl. The Great QBs win them. Josh Allen is great. The bar has been elevated. McD trying to lower it to save his ass is not a good look.

whether be liked It or not, the bar is now Super Bowl or it’s a failed season. And a HC who needs to claim playoff appearances are good enough is a HUGE problem.

11. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-26-2024),OpIv37 (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It doesn’t have to be one or the other. The goal is Super Bowl. The HC is trying to lower that bar, which is very telling

Thanks
    Thanked 30,579 Times in 17,456 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The disappointment of not being able to get over the hump is greater than trying to get to that level, the higher expectations make the fall that much farther.

Taking a trash heap and making them respectable isn't that difficult for somebody that is competent...or shouldn't be.
    Staying there for an extended period of time is somewhat of an accomplishment, so kudos for that.
    But when 'competent' becomes consistently the end result, one has to start looking at why they haven't been able to improve on that and figure out how to fix it.

Because ultimately the goal is supposed to be winning championships, not stacking regular season wins and breaking records.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

14. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-28-2024),OpIv37 (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

This.

The excitement every Sunday brings me now compared to the misery it brought me for most of my life as a Bills fan is worth it alone. Do I want to see them win a Superbowl? As much as anyone on the planet.

Will I lose sleep over it if they don't? Nope. Sundays from Sept to Jan are my escape. Watching football is what I enjoy. Watching the Bills pretty much win every time they play compared to like 35% of the time is much more enjoyable and satisfying.

I do not ever want to re-live 20+ years of mediocre to terrible football teams.

16. Post thanked by:

jamze132 (03-25-2024),Saratoga Slim (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    This.

The excitement every Sunday brings me now compared to the misery it brought me for most of my life as a Bills fan is worth it alone. Do I want to see them win a Superbowl? As much as anyone on the planet.

Will I lose sleep over it if they don't? Nope. Sundays from Sept to Jan are my escape. Watching football is what I enjoy. Watching the Bills pretty much win every time they play compared to like 35% of the time is much more enjoyable and satisfying.

I do not ever want to re-live 20+ years of mediocre to terrible football teams.
    Is it more fun to watch now? Yes.
    Will I stop watching if they never win a SB? No.

But the goal today is the same as it was every year they sucked. WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Being closer is not the attitude they should have.

McD is wrong. They are 'more successful" but in the NFL the only true success is measured in trophies.

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (03-25-2024),YardRat (03-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,946 Times in 3,498 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

we kinda need 1

20. Post thanked by:

YardRat (03-26-2024)

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It really just boils down to how you view success. Compared to many teams, the Bills have been very successful. Compared to the Chiefs and Patriots they have not.

Like has been said though, I will take this over the drought any day. Watching the Panthers overpay guys just to get them to go there used to be us. The offseason and draft used to be our superbowl. Now there is a chance at the real one almost every year. I will take it.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    Is it more fun to watch now? Yes.
    Will I stop watching if they never win a SB? No.

But the goal today is the same as it was every year they sucked. WIN THE SUPER BOWL. Being closer is not the attitude they should have.

McD is wrong. They are 'more successful" but in the NFL the only true success is measured in trophies.
    The goal when they sucked was not a superbowl.

Anyone who says or thinks that is delusional.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,858 Times in 3,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    It doesn’t have to be one or the other. The goal is Super Bowl. The HC is trying to lower that bar, which is very telling
    He’s not lowering the bar, he’s simply acknowledging where we’re at and how far we’ve come. If you don’t think he and every person at OBD is doing everything in their power to win a SB, you’re crazy. Only one team gets to win every year and it takes more than just talent and coaching to do so. It takes a LOT of luck too with injuries, scheduling, weather, other teams failures, etc. I know that sounds like a bunch of crappy excuses but it’s true. One team is able to rise above it all each year and 31 other teams fail.

24. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-25-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Sean is right, of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

+1000

Most of the youngsters here, many (if not most) did not even start watching the Bills until when they were close to and getting into Super Bowls (the Jim Kelly Era). 1988 was their first 12 win season since 1964 (when the AFL played two fewer games).

Which means if you are younger than about 50 years old today, you were weaned on superlative Bills teams.

Old timers like me (and a handful of others) had to enure many, MANY more years MUCH, MUCH worse than the "drought years".

I watched every road game (home games were blacked out then...even Monday night games if not sold out 72 hours before kickoff) and listened to every other game on the radio.

Even the "Comeback game" in 1992 vs Houston was blacked out. I was living near Albany, NY at that time so I was able to watch it live.

Anyway, those under-50 fans have been SPOILED. You did not have to enure ONE win seasons (twice between 1964 when I first became a fan and 1986 when Jim Kelly era started) or TWO win seasons (three times) or even THREE win seasons (twice).

The WORST you ever had to tolerate was ONE FOUR win season, Kelly's first year as Bills QB....when everyone knew those days were coming to a rapid end. There was FOUR FOUR win seasons between 1964 and 1986.

In the "drought years" there were only ONE three win season and ONE four win season. Oh woe is me!!!

That's ELEVEN 1,2, 3 or 4 win seasons out of TWENTY TWO between 1964 and 1986. Compared to only THREE of those (one THREE win and TWO FOUR win) in the THIRTY SEVEN years since the Jim Kelly Era....the youngsters here football life.

Cry me a river because you have to enure five 10+ win, FIVE consecutive playoffs and four consecutive AFCE title seasons but not SB appearances YET in the Josh Allen Era that is still in it's infancy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You can say that they're a successful franchise and still want more. Those are not exclusive concepts.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,424 Times in 7,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's right about the success part but calling a significant portion of your fan base narrow minded is stupid.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    +1000

Most of the youngsters here, many (if not most) did not even start watching the Bills until when they were close to and getting into Super Bowls (the Jim Kelly Era). 1988 was their first 12 win season since 1964 (when the AFL played two fewer games).

Which means if you are younger than about 50 years old today, you were weaned on superlative Bills teams.

Old timers like me (and a handful of others) had to enure many, MANY more years MUCH, MUCH worse than the "drought years".

I watched every road game (home games were blacked out then...even Monday night games if not sold out 72 hours before kickoff) and listened to every other game on the radio.

Even the "Comeback game" in 1992 vs Houston was blacked out. I was living near Albany, NY at that time so I was able to watch it live.

Anyway, those under-50 fans have been SPOILED. You did not have to enure ONE win seasons (twice between 1964 when I first became a fan and 1986 when Jim Kelly era started) or TWO win seasons (three times) or even THREE win seasons (twice).

The WORST you ever had to tolerate was ONE FOUR win season, Kelly's first year as Bills QB....when everyone knew those days were coming to a rapid end. There was FOUR FOUR win seasons between 1964 and 1986.

In the "drought years" there were only ONE three win season and ONE four win season. Oh woe is me!!!

That's ELEVEN 1,2, 3 or 4 win seasons out of TWENTY TWO between 1964 and 1986. Compared to only THREE of those (one THREE win and TWO FOUR win) in the THIRTY SEVEN years since the Jim Kelly Era....the youngsters here football life.

Cry me a river because you have to enure five 10+ win, FIVE consecutive playoffs and four consecutive AFCE title seasons but not SB appearances YET in the Josh Allen Era that is still in it's infancy.
    Calling any Bills fan “spoiled” is outright laughable.

sounds like you feel entitled to gatekeep fandom on some seniority level.

arrogant as always.