Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: It’s narrow-minded to say Bills haven’t succeeded without a Super Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmal View Post
    Many, many fans of this team are so traumatized by the drought that they're now perfectly content to just make the playoffs every year. They don't want to try any new strategy in regard to coaching or roster development because they're afraid of slipping back into mediocrity, even though the odds of that happening when you have the most physically gifted QB ever in his prime are very slim. It's a pretty pathetic ideology.
    As evidenced by the annual coaching carousel good coaches are hard to find. This is why McD is still our coach. He has been good just not good enough.

That doesn’t mean that he has unlimited time. He doesn’t. The clocks ticking and I doubt he has more than 1-2 more failures left in his tenure as Bills HC.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Oaf View Post
    This. McD very likely isn't good enough to be a SB coach as we've seen, but if anyone can work their way to it, it's him.

Who had a "successful" season last year? It's basically the SB winners (KC) plus a few plucky teams that outperformed (HOU, GB, maybe DET).
    I would agree McDermott is a good coach but think he's going to need to sever from the Bills in order to learn and reflect on what being hungry and humble really means. Our players are not prepared properly then he throws their execution under the bus all the time. McDermott needs a real attitude adjustment then he might rise up because he's smart and disciplined and he understands the game he just doesn't understand as the head coach his team is doomed when he doesn't align things correctly and teach everyone what to do. He needs to take some steps back and reflect ....

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-29-2024)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't think McDermott publicly saying what his philosophy is anyway is all that terrible it is what it is. He claps to rally the boys on bad plays. That's McDermott. He has no fire. He's constructed a culture of consolation prizes, next game boys! We all know they're successful on a scale. My gripe would be that your hc isn't the guy for prepaid excuses unless he's feeling like he has to defend himself.

90"s Bills were on fire to get to super bowls and buzzsawed through opponents to get there before collapse.. this crew strives for getting to the playoffs, however,, and will flatline at home. 90's Bills heading to sb's, lost 5 total home games, never a playoff game at home. Horrible weather ? Welcome to our house, it's your last stop. Never came out complacent at home.

The cerebral Levy wasn't trying to cheer the boys, he was throwing his headset, screaming swearing to fire them up. 7 full seasons in to Levy, a woeful conservative coach unemployed for 4 years before we hired him, we had been to 4 super bowls.

Besides a couple players...it"s a complacent team. It"s not one step more, they're not getting to conference championships with home playoff games even, at least lose passionately.

They're coddled, not driven, McDermott is not stepping it up. They're a less successful version of the 90's Bills that will break their records but they're getting wobbly in terms of realistic contender. The real consolation prize is the gift to the fans for faith or you blow your window with a record setting elite qb and hope you find another one quick. I'm dubious.

No more happy consolation talk, take one home, we've been waiting all our lives.

5. Post thanked by:

Historian (03-29-2024),Mad Max (03-28-2024),Margarita (03-28-2024),Thurmal (03-28-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,206 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It is the way McDermott drives the organization with the growth mindset. It totally is what I should be doing in my classroom but there isn't time for it in the NFL. Why?

Because on a very fundamental level when you direct a team like this you show them where you want them to get but you let them figure out how to get there. That is what the growth does. More emerges. You get bigger and better input on everything. The entire team flourishes. It's like magic happening. Except there isn't time for **** to emerge and then incorporate it and make adjustments -- more organized and faster thinking leaves you in the dust.

It's great and all ... and it also is plagued with some big forms of paralysis if you aren't really careful and constantly hammering and aggressively teaching both the process and where you want to get.

Trust the process is really sound thinking until the process is driving you into a train wreck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 991 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I don't think McDermott publicly saying what his philosophy is anyway is all that terrible it is what it is. He claps to rally the boys on bad plays. That's McDermott. He has no fire. He's constructed a culture of consolation prizes, next game boys! We all know they're successful on a scale. My gripe would be that your hc isn't the guy for prepaid excuses unless he's feeling like he has to defend himself.

90"s Bills were on fire to get to super bowls and buzzsawed through opponents to get there before collapse.. this crew strives for getting to the playoffs, however,, and will flatline at home. 90's Bills heading to sb's, lost 5 total home games, never a playoff game at home. Horrible weather ? Welcome to our house, it's your last stop. Never came out complacent at home.

The cerebral Levy wasn't trying to cheer the boys, he was throwing his headset, screaming swearing to fire them up. 7 full seasons in to Levy, a woeful conservative coach unemployed for 4 years before we hired him, we had been to 4 super bowls.

Besides a couple players...it"s a complacent team. It"s not one step more, they're not getting to conference championships with home playoff games even, at least lose passionately.

They're coddled, not driven, McDermott is not stepping it up. They're a less successful version of the 90's Bills that will break their records but they're getting wobbly in terms of realistic contender. The real consolation prize is the gift to the fans for faith or you blow your window with a record setting elite qb and hope you find another one quick. I'm dubious.

No more happy consolation talk, take one home, we've been waiting all our lives.
    Amen brotha.

You got me thinking about the personalities of SB winning coaches and most of them are ball breakers at least as much as they are cheerleaders.

I still have a little hope that opie can bring Vince home to us but have at least as much expectation that he doesn’t have more than 1-2 more shots at him.