Thread: Beane Spoke at the Annual League Meeting

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane Spoke at the Annual League Meeting

Two interesting notes to me, starting at the 21 minute mark.
    1. He mentioned Daquan Jones and Austin Jackson are similar starting at 1 tech, then specially called out Jones improved pass rushing under the Bills system, and they believed (or hoped) Austin can do the same. That echoed some of the analysis out there on the Austin's signing.
    2. Right after the question on Austin, someone asked Beane what traits he's looking for in WR from the draft, and his answer is first - being smart, and second - able to play multiple positions. Then he went into complimentary to the WR room stuff, using the example of Knox and Kincaid when they drafted Kincaid. So-uh, a guy who can play more than 1 position, and then look at the traits the current Bills WRs are missing --- speed and size?

2. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-26-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,082 Times in 4,279 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Beane Spoke at the Annual League Meeting

Interesting.

When he says he wants a WR that can play multiple positions, does he mean XYZ, or does he mean a guy like Brock Bowers who can play TE or WR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What I read is more of a philosophical change - from Daboll to now Brady. Used to be the WR role is fairly well defined. Brown/Diggs/Davis outside. Beasley/McKenzie slot. Brady came in and even people said he used Dorsey's playbook, but you see more Cook in route and Diggs in motion etc. I guess multiplicity is high on Brady's list. So overall more of Sean Peyton kind of offense where Brady has his roots.

At the end of the season McDermott and Beane said they need more big plays from the offense. At the owner's meeting, McDermott elaborated more on facing 2 deep safeties, something he played the same defensive system as Chiefs' Spagnola's in limiting big plays from the opposing offense. I guess the direction for big play on offense may be switched from run deep and throw deep because we trust our guys (Digg/Davis) are better than yours to finding mis-matches due to our guys play roles not pigeon -holed for you to match, and the speed our guys can turn a short pass to a big play.

Look at Hill when he's at the Chiefs and now he's in Miami. Hill in most systems would be an outside X receiver with his speed. But his highlights are not really making difficult catches down the field we used to see from Randy Moss; rather we saw him being used in slot, in backfield, in motion etc., some easy completions from Mahomes/Tua, and turned into a big play.

So some easy buttons for Allen, but big things from RAC is what I think they are looking for. Davis was never that guy. Diggs was, even earlier this season, but somehow never replicated in the 2nd half. Maybe the change of Brady's offense is the cause. Shakir actually showed surprising RAC ability - maybe the best we've seen in Buffalo in recent years, but his lack of speed shows. A number of plays where he got away from the first defender could result in long TDs but were not.

There is a lot of speculation that Samuel may have a bigger role than we think as of now in the coming season. And of course they will draft a guy, maybe not for filling an immediate hole but for his potential, in their mind, that can be an eventual #1 receiver on this team.

5. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,710 Times in 7,767 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    What I read is more of a philosophical change - from Daboll to now Brady. Used to be the WR role is fairly well defined. Brown/Diggs/Davis outside. Beasley/McKenzie slot. Brady came in and even people said he used Dorsey's playbook, but you see more Cook in route and Diggs in motion etc. I guess multiplicity is high on Brady's list. So overall more of Sean Peyton kind of offense where Brady has his roots.

At the end of the season McDermott and Beane said they need more big plays from the offense. At the owner's meeting, McDermott elaborated more on facing 2 deep safeties, something he played the same defensive system as Chiefs' Spagnola's in limiting big plays from the opposing offense. I guess the direction for big play on offense may be switched from run deep and throw deep because we trust our guys (Digg/Davis) are better than yours to finding mis-matches due to our guys play roles not pigeon -holed for you to match, and the speed our guys can turn a short pass to a big play.

Look at Hill when he's at the Chiefs and now he's in Miami. Hill in most systems would be an outside X receiver with his speed. But his highlights are not really making difficult catches down the field we used to see from Randy Moss; rather we saw him being used in slot, in backfield, in motion etc., some easy completions from Mahomes/Tua, and turned into a big play.

So some easy buttons for Allen, but big things from RAC is what I think they are looking for. Davis was never that guy. Diggs was, even earlier this season, but somehow never replicated in the 2nd half. Maybe the change of Brady's offense is the cause. Shakir actually showed surprising RAC ability - maybe the best we've seen in Buffalo in recent years, but his lack of speed shows. A number of plays where he got away from the first defender could result in long TDs but were not.

There is a lot of speculation that Samuel may have a bigger role than we think as of now in the coming season. And of course they will draft a guy, maybe not for filling an immediate hole but for his potential, in their mind, that can be an eventual #1 receiver on this team.
    Thanks for the thoughtful analysis.

Maybe Brady can help Josh take those "easy buttons". Josh failed to do so in the last two minutes of the last game last season vs KC. He needs Brady to berate his ass until he learns.

There is little doubt that Samuel is on the team with Brady's encouragement to help realize that YAC dynamics that have been lacking.

It's going to be interesting (I hope exciting) to see how he is used, along with Cook and Shakir. One thing Samuel seems to bring to the table is the ability to catch the ****ing ball. Like Shakir's 86.6% catch ratio and Kincaid's 80%, far better than Davis' dismal 55.5%

Samuel had 68% last year even with Sam Howell passing him the ball. His career catch percentage is 65%. Far better than Gabe Davis' career 54.5%.