• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamze132
    • Jun 2003

Re: NFL approves new kickoff rule

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Why even have the kickoff anymore? Just give the “receiving” team the ball at the 25 like a touchback and be done with that.
    Special teams is still a part of football and I don’t think the league is ready to kill it yet…but it is trending that way.

Comment

• Bill Cody
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Next up: Two hand touch for quarterbacks!
      That makes no sense. This change means more contact not less. Kickoffs now are one team sprinting down and doing.....nothing as the ball sails out of the end zone. Or taking a fair catch. If anything the present system is fairy football.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Ingtar33 View Post
        correct. if they can't fair catch then 13 seconds would have been impossible (in theory), that said I'm not sure the bills would have kicked it off to tyreek hill either. probably would have put the ball through the endzone rather then risk a kickoff return. oddly the math sorta flips with this style kickoff, I wouldn't be surprised if most NFL teams chose to simply boot it into the endzone if the risk of a return goes up with these new rules
        That isn't going to be easy. They're kicking from the 20 yard line now. How many kickers can kick it more than 80 yards?

Comment

• mightysimi
          Buckle me in on the highway of sin
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          That isn't going to be easy. They're kicking from the 20 yard line now. How many kickers can kick it more than 80 yards?
          Not true, the kicker is still on the 35.

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
            That makes no sense. This change means more contact not less. Kickoffs now are one team sprinting down and doing.....nothing as the ball sails out of the end zone. Or taking a fair catch. If anything the present system is fairy football.
            exactly. It was something like 22% of kicks were returned. So this rule is going to force action not reduce it.

at the same time it will reduce injuries as guys won’t be getting massive momentum built up before contact

i think this rule will stick

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by T&C View Post
              Any kick that hits before crossing the receiving team's 20-yard line will be spotted at the receiving team's 40 (as it is for a kickoff that goes out of bounds).Any kick placed in the landing zone must be returned.

Any kick that hits in the landing zone and goes into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. The latter move would result in a touchback to the 20-yard line.A kick that hits in the end zone and stays inbounds could be returned or downed.

If downed, the ball will be spotted at the 35-yard line. A kick that goes out the back of the end zone will result in a touchback to the 35-yard line.

No fair catch or signal is allowed (unlike punt returns).

After the fourth quarter begins, a trailing team will have the opportunity to declare an onside kick under 2023 rules. If an onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, a penalty will occur and the ball will be placed at the kicking team's 20-yard line for the receiving team to begin the next possession.

For free kicks that follow a safety, the ball will be kicked from the 20-yard line, and the kicker will have an option to use a tee. The setup zone and landing zone will not change.
              I just realized. So there is no such thing as a squib kick anymore.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                Not true, the kicker is still on the 35.
                ok. I thought they were taking the full xfl deal. That's a mistake by the NFL. Kickers are too powerful now. Need that moved back at least 10 yards.

Comment

Working...
                X