• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

NFL approves new kickoff rule

NFL approves new kickoff rule - NBC Sports

In one of the most significant rule changes in NFL history, league owners voted today to fundamentally change the kickoff.

In a vote at the annual league meeting, the NFL has adopted a low-impact kickoff, modeled on what has previously been used in the XFL, that the league believes will increase the number of returns while decreasing the number of injuries.

Fans will notice major changes immediately, starting with the first play of every game: Kickoffs will not look the same this year.

Under the new rule, 10 players on the kicking team and at least nine players on the receiving team will line up just five yards apart and won’t begin running until the ball gets back to the returner, meaning players won’t be going full speed when they crash into each other, which caused so many injuries on kickoffs in years past. Of the 22 players on the field, only the kicker and one or two kickoff returners will line up separately from those players who are five yards apart.

28 **60 **128 **133 **144 **160
    163 **189 **200 **204 **248
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: NFL approves new kickoff rule

Why even have the kickoff anymore? Just give the “receiving” team the ball at the 25 like a touchback and be done with that.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sukie
      • Sep 2012

Seems to me non fair caught punts are far more dangerous than a kickoff.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Why even have the kickoff anymore? Just give the “receiving” team the ball at the 25 like a touchback and be done with that.
        Because that's boring?

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sukie View Post
          Seems to me non fair caught punts are far more dangerous than a kickoff.
          not really. Nobody gets jammed at the line on a kickoff. Until now.

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

I did not watch the USFL where apparently they used a variation of this new kickoff rule.

This sure looks like it will turn the kickoff into a play worth watching.

Going to be very interesting to see how the whole strategy for kickoffs is going to be completely upended. I think it's brilliant to require that the 19 players on the line only five yard apart, on the receiving teams side of the 50, can only move after the ball is caught or hits the ground with substantial penalties (with ball placement) in not precisely kicking the ball within 20 yards of the goal line.

This gives a fast returner a HUGE advantage. The down side is (after multiple returns for TD's) many teams may take the ball being placed on the opposing team's 30 yard line over risking the big return.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

Next up: Two hand touch for quarterbacks!

Comment

• POTLAND PSILBYLO
                Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                Next up: Two hand touch for quarterbacks!
                That's sexist

Comment

• Turf
                  • Jul 2002

So now what's the onside kick rule? Will they allow them to go back to the old style where they could run up to the ball? How about this fair catch nonsense, is that still in effect?
                  Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• T&C
                    • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                    So now what's the onside kick rule? Will they allow them to go back to the old style where they could run up to the ball? How about this fair catch nonsense, is that still in effect?

Comment

• Turf
                      • Jul 2002

I think this rule will have a larger effect on the game than people realize. You could easily get one score per game coming from kickoffs. And if someone masters it, even more. Nice video above. Does anyone know if you can fair catch it or is that out?
                      Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• T&C
                        • Sep 2023

I think this rule will have a larger effect on the game than people realize. You could easily get one score per game coming from kickoffs. And if someone masters it, even more. Nice video above. Does anyone know if you can fair catch it or is that out?
                        Any kick that hits before crossing the receiving team's 20-yard line will be spotted at the receiving team's 40 (as it is for a kickoff that goes out of bounds).Any kick placed in the landing zone must be returned.

Any kick that hits in the landing zone and goes into the end zone must be returned or downed by the receiving team. The latter move would result in a touchback to the 20-yard line.A kick that hits in the end zone and stays inbounds could be returned or downed.

If downed, the ball will be spotted at the 35-yard line. A kick that goes out the back of the end zone will result in a touchback to the 35-yard line.

No fair catch or signal is allowed (unlike punt returns).

After the fourth quarter begins, a trailing team will have the opportunity to declare an onside kick under 2023 rules. If an onside kick goes beyond the setup zone untouched, a penalty will occur and the ball will be placed at the kicking team's 20-yard line for the receiving team to begin the next possession.

For free kicks that follow a safety, the ball will be kicked from the 20-yard line, and the kicker will have an option to use a tee. The setup zone and landing zone will not change.

Comment

• sukie
                          • Sep 2012

I was also wondering that. Does the clock always start? If so ya can’t pull off a 13 seconds

Comment

• mightysimi
                            Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                            • Mar 2010

No fair catching. Either advance the ball or take a knee

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                              I was also wondering that. Does the clock always start? If so ya can’t pull off a 13 seconds
                              correct. if they can't fair catch then 13 seconds would have been impossible (in theory), that said I'm not sure the bills would have kicked it off to tyreek hill either. probably would have put the ball through the endzone rather then risk a kickoff return. oddly the math sorta flips with this style kickoff, I wouldn't be surprised if most NFL teams chose to simply boot it into the endzone if the risk of a return goes up with these new rules
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡