Thread: Connor McGovern WANTs to play center

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Connor McGovern WANTs to play center

Good Listen from Eric's podcast. Eric is able to get Bills players and coaches with some interesting insight not available from other reporters.

In this case, I learned that McGovern was drafted by Cowboys as a center. And when he signed with the Bills, the plan was for him to be a center in a year or two (If Morse plays out his contract). So it is not such a shock to the Bills that now he's the center. And then thirdly, his play improved coming to the Bills (remember there was cry that we paid him too much since he's just a back up with the Cowboys etc.) because Kromer changed his style from passive to aggressive.

From what he described himself that he loves to get hands on the opponent and implies that once he does that, it's over. Sounded it like a perfect match for center. There are a few 3-4 defenses we are going to face. If he's able to handle a NT one-on-one, Allen, Cook are going to have a good time against those defenses.

Also I found his mention of Spencer Brown interesting. I'm not one who believed the Bills can give Brown a big contract but if he's truely getting the injury behind him and continues on his improvement ... We may have to at lease franchise him for one more year.

2. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-29-2024),Oaf (03-28-2024),T&C (03-29-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Connor McGovern WANTs to play center

In Kromer we trust.
    The Things that unite us are far greater than the things that divide us. Just my 2 Cents.

"The Force, it's calling to you. Just let it in." - Maz Kanata: Star Wars VII The Force Awakens

"'Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum." - Winston Scott in John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum

#Cup or Bust 2024 #Bowl or Bust 2024 - It is the way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not good enough as a starting NFL Center.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If so I hope he's spending a lot of time with Josh during the offseason. Center is a qb's qb.

6. Post thanked by:

Mace (03-29-2024),YardRat (03-30-2024)

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,494 Times in 9,189 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Well...we all want things, hope he has better luck than I did.

8. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (03-29-2024),YardRat (03-30-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TheConsigliere View Post
    The uncertainty to me is that Morse always gave the very cerebral impression. Center needs to make line calls at times (QB may overwrite the calls though). We just don't know if McGovern can make the right call majority of the time.

10. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (03-29-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Good Listen from Eric's podcast. Eric is able to get Bills players and coaches with some interesting insight not available from other reporters.

In this case, I learned that McGovern was drafted by Cowboys as a center. And when he signed with the Bills, the plan was for him to be a center in a year or two (If Morse plays out his contract). So it is not such a shock to the Bills that now he's the center. And then thirdly, his play improved coming to the Bills (remember there was cry that we paid him too much since he's just a back up with the Cowboys etc.) because Kromer changed his style from passive to aggressive.

From what he described himself that he loves to get hands on the opponent and implies that once he does that, it's over. Sounded it like a perfect match for center. There are a few 3-4 defenses we are going to face. If he's able to handle a NT one-on-one, Allen, Cook are going to have a good time against those defenses.

Also I found his mention of Spencer Brown interesting. I'm not one who believed the Bills can give Brown a big contract but if he's truely getting the injury behind him and continues on his improvement ... We may have to at lease franchise him for one more year.

There's no way in HELL Brown will get franchise tagged. Next years tag is projected at around 25 million. You don't pay that to a RT.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 990 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    There's no way in HELL Brown will get franchise tagged. Next years tag is projected at around 25 million. You don't pay that to a RT.
    25m? That seems high. Regardless I wouldn’t spend anywhere near that on Spencer.

He’s a road grader in the run game but highly suspect in pass protection. If his job wasn’t to protect the Cyborg who covers up his flaws he might already be a pine rider in the league.

13. Post thanked by:

Oaf (03-29-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,696 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    25m? That seems high. Regardless I wouldn’t spend anywhere near that on Spencer.

He’s a road grader in the run game but highly suspect in pass protection. If his job wasn’t to protect the Cyborg who covers up his flaws he might already be a pine rider in the league.
    OL franchise Tag was 21m this year. Projected 25m next year. Doesn’t decipher by position so it’s usually set by LTs as 5 highest.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-tra...nd-rfa-tenders

Thanks
    Thanked 9,903 Times in 4,023 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

IDk. Im more wait and see on the shift to center. Ofc, I was wait and see on him last year. He had a rep as a good pass blocker but not so much as a run blocker. He turned out beter than I expected. I didn't realize he was brought in as the eventual successor to Mitch.

If it does work out, it gives them a little more flexibility in the draft. Meaning, they can find a guard or center rather than a true center, though I'd prefer a guy like Van Pran.

That said, I love Eric Wood's podcasts. he def gives a unique perspective to different players and coaches, and does a great job of bringing out that perspective in his guests. The Geno Atkins story was great. I loved the part where he talked about Rex's first year, where he kept telling Wood about the guy he'd be going against. Rex kept saying the guy was a lazy slug and Eric would crush him. And after going against him, Wood came back and *****ed out Rex, saying the guy wasn't anything like Rex described him.

16. Post thanked by:

John Doe (03-30-2024),kgun12 (03-30-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    IDk. Im more wait and see on the shift to center. Ofc, I was wait and see on him last year. He had a rep as a good pass blocker but not so much as a run blocker. He turned out beter than I expected. I didn't realize he was brought in as the eventual successor to Mitch.

If it does work out, it gives them a little more flexibility in the draft. Meaning, they can find a guard or center rather than a true center, though I'd prefer a guy like Van Pran.

That said, I love Eric Wood's podcasts. he def gives a unique perspective to different players and coaches, and does a great job of bringing out that perspective in his guests. The Geno Atkins story was great. I loved the part where he talked about Rex's first year, where he kept telling Wood about the guy he'd be going against. Rex kept saying the guy was a lazy slug and Eric would crush him. And after going against him, Wood came back and *****ed out Rex, saying the guy wasn't anything like Rex described him.
    Yeah. I'll take Kromer's word. He was obviously consulted before the Bills cut Morse and traded Bates.

18. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-30-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,607 Times in 6,161 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Yeah. I'll take Kromer's word. He was obviously consulted before the Bills cut Morse and traded Bates.
    Agreed 100% .... you just don't dump starters as a usual practice without knowing 1st that you can handle that situation.

(128) RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
    (141) C, Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, Georgia
    (160) LB Edefuan Ulofoshio, Washington
    (168) DE Javon Solomon, Troy

20. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (03-30-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,096 Times in 3,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Agreed 100% .... you just don't dump starters as a usual practice without knowing 1st that you can handle that situation.
    Not only a starter but his backup as well. And they had McGovern on the team last year so they know something about him.

22. Post thanked by:

notacon (03-31-2024)