Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Bills trading Diggs to texans

Thanks
    Thanked 30,676 Times in 17,518 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bills trading Diggs to texans

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    That's little ruff I think. Imagine you are in, say more than half the league where you can say after 7 years they have not drafted an elite QB. Absolute failure. Don't you think getting an elite QB already makes you one of the better front office? Unfortunately we live in back to back dominating team era, Brady's NE to Mahomes' Chiefs. The comparison is to those two teams. I'm afraid it is going to be very difficult to be one of those teams. There are other elite QBs in Brady's era, and they only get to win once or twice. We might just be in those category.
    Winning only once or twice is looking more unattainable as the years pass by.

We went from...

Allen/Beane/McD are going to win multiple championships to....
    KC is dominant, we might get one...maybe...if we're lucky, to...
    This is looking more like a Marino/Rivers/Fouts scenario...great regular season QB but we're never going to get far enough in the playoffs.
    It's a 3-2 count and this regime keeps getting the bat on the ball but it's always a foul tip.

The leadership room has been gutted and there is going to be even more pressure on Josh to 'get it done' and unless he shows some growth we know how that usually works out.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

2. Post thanked by:

Chet (04-06-2024),Lone Stranger (04-05-2024),OpIv37 (04-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,676 Times in 17,518 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

^ And there are two fundamental reasons for that...

1--Josh stopped progressing a few seasons ago, and
    2--Beane and McDermott keep dorking up the roster.

4. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (04-05-2024),OpIv37 (04-05-2024)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,943 Times in 4,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post

This is looking more like a Marino/Rivers/Fouts scenario...great regular season QB but we're never going to get far enough in the playoffs.
    Actually Allen has been greater in playoffs vs the regular season. He can only do so much. Its time for his teammates to step up. They didn't. Out with the old, in with the new.

6. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-06-2024),Jeff1220 (04-05-2024),justasportsfan (04-05-2024),kgun12 (04-05-2024),Lone Stranger (04-05-2024),Mad Max (04-05-2024),notacon (04-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Winning only once or twice is looking more unattainable as the years pass by.

We went from...

It's a 3-2 count and this regime keeps getting the bat on the ball but it's always a foul tip.

The leadership room has been gutted and there is going to be even more pressure on Josh to 'get it done' and unless he shows some growth we know how that usually works out.
    They may still win multiple championship, but I never ever said Allen/Beane/McD are going to dominate NFL like the Pats and the Chiefs this century. It will take a lot more than one superstar to make that happen.

The leadership room is gutted because they are old and not good enough, period. From a championship perspective, they hit it hard but someone (the Chiefs mainly) ran it down. Time to get a younger guy to the plate - maybe we get a home run hitter this time.

8. Post thanked by:

TacklingDummy (04-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,695 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

In ripping up the final three years of the contract, the Texans didn’t dump gigantic cash and cap commitments. Diggs was due to make $18 million in 2025, $19 million in 2026, and $17.495 million in 2027. They did Diggs a favor, setting the stage for not even having the player under contract when the second-round pick they sent to Buffalo in the 2025 draft is used.
    So why do it? The answer is fairly obvious. They want the best possible version of Diggs. They want none of the little things the Bills tolerated until it became one big thing. If the Texans draw a difficult early-season schedule and struggle to win and/or if Diggs ends up not getting as many passes as he wants, the promise of free agency might cause him to resist any of the things that the Bills had to endure.

1) Ari
    2)@ Mia
    3) Jac
    4)@ Bal
    5)@ Hou
    6)@ Jet
    7) Ten
    8)@ Sea

Thanks
    Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Actually Allen has been greater in playoffs vs the regular season. He can only do so much. Its time for his teammates to step up. They didn't. Out with the old, in with the new.
    Excellent point! It was the defense with all those aging/often injured leaders that everyone is so upset we let go. It was the disruptive offensive leader that faded away the last half of the season. They were starting a linebacker who was sitting on his couch a few weeks before that game and were playing their 4-5 guys on the depth chart at that position by halftime. I don’t think the field goal would have mattered. Again, the issue was the defense!
    There were dropped passes, fumbles and a bad defense that could stop KC.
    Yet with all those issues, the response to this is…well Josh didn’t throw to Diggs one time when he was wide open. The one player that was the awesome and playing unbelievable football over the last 8 weeks of the season and playoffs.

Come on folks, the team especially the defense was not good enough even with Hyde, Poyer and White. Hell they missed more games than they played and the first two clearly lost a step. I hope White comes back and plays to his abilities but probably not. The one thing I can agree on is McD, he does do some questionable decisions.

But to spit all this venom at Josh is crazy. You complained about his interceptions and he cleaned that up during the last half of the season. Some of you have convinced yourself he doesn’t do enough film study, he plays too much golf, he cares more about casing women then football, his priorities are wrong. I must ask, where did you read this, who are your sources, what evidence do you have? My god, you have one the great quarterbacks of a generation and you guys can’t even in enjoy it!!!
    We all want a SB, most of us have been fans since the 60’s and it’s tough to be so close so many times and it’s frustrating. This team might take a step back this year and you guys can say (and will) “I told you so “. But things weren’t working the way this team was, so they have to change it up. I believe EXCEPT for Morse, they had to do it. They were more of a liability than assets. I think for a team that was cap strapped they brought in a lot of players.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-06-2024),Jeff1220 (04-05-2024),Lone Stranger (04-05-2024),Mad Max (04-05-2024),TacklingDummy (04-05-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,797 Times in 7,837 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    What I meant is that the loss to KC was not all on Diggs.
    He hasnt however done much ever since Brady took over as OC. Check out his nos. since the denver game.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/game...2/stefon-diggs
    +1

No one is saying that the "loss to KC was"..."all on Diggs"....you are spot on that Brady did not see him as a "fit"

But with the KC game. what the facts show is that he did not help gain a win very much at all. He was TERRIBLE. Same last year vs Cincy. That's a LOT different than a 'loss being on one guy'.

The stats do not lie. Diggs disappeared in every Bills playoff loss during his four years here. That is undeniable.

In the most critical games, the #1 WR should be THE GUY that HELPS you win. Diggs, do not come close to doing that.

This reminds me of those that (incorrectly) say that people (like me) that are criticizing Josh's decisions after the 2 min mark are opining that 'the loss was all on Josh'. That's not true, at all.

What extremely experienced and knowledgeable observers, like Kurt Warner as accurately observing is that Josh let the opportunity slip through his fingers by not making smart decision and instead (yes, I am repeating this again and will again because it is SO spot on)...

“Sometimes,” Warner said, “you talk yourself into a play and say, ‘I’m gonna make this play, and this is the throw that’ll send us to the championship game,’ instead of saying, ‘I’m gonna let the defense dictate where I throw the ball.’ As a quarterback, you have to have the ability to balance those things.”

“It’s impossible to play perfect games, and Josh played an incredible game—until the end. In the end, he took some chances that wouldn’t have been what I would have done. But he chose to make those throws, and if you choose those throws, you’ve got to make ‘em. That’s part of being great. Brady, Montana, Mahomes—they have careers of making the plays in the absolute crucial times of the game. Now they’re on the Mount Rushmore of NFL quarterbacks.”

I sure looks like a factor in that was that Josh lost all faith in Diggs after that ridiculous dropped pass. A QB cannot make better decision if he does not trust who is supped to be their "go-to" WR. I suspect that that loss of trust was plainly evident once Brady took over. It sure looks like Brady did not trust Diggs either.....nor McD, nor Beane. Hence they literately paid money to have him move on.

You are spot on that Diggs "hasnt however done much ever since Brady took over as OC.".

Tim Graham put that reality in stark terms with these observations...

Trevon Diggs did his town crier impersonation after the Bills’ 24-22 home loss to the Denver Broncos on “Monday Night Football.” The Bills’ fourth defeat in six games floored them to 5-5, three spots out of the playoff picture.

Then, over the remaining seven regular-season games, Stefon Diggs caught only 34 passes for 315 yards and one touchdown, while Allen accounted for 1,896 yards of total offense, ran for 10 touchdowns and threw for eight more. Two sophomores, tailback James Cook and receiver Khalil Shakir, and rookie tight end Dalton Kincaid emerged as trustworthy weapons.

The Bills went 6-1, their lone loss at the Philadelphia Eagles in overtime.
    The Bills are not going to regret cutting Diggs loose. It will probably make the team better.

13. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (04-05-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Also,

Houston moved Diggs' guaranteed money to this year, so Diggs is essentially a free agent after the 2024 season.
    That shows that Houston does not trust Diggs either.

They are counting on him going on a revenge sprint, and Diggs thinking it will make him irresistible on the FA market come 2025.

If Houston thought him showing that he is still a true #1 WR (it's obvious the Bills don't think he is any more, no matter what they say in public) they would have welcomed him being under contract, when FA costs of top WR is going no where but UP.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The team will not be better next year, not without a major FA WR pickup or a stud WR in the draft. Will the Bills be better in the long run? Should be, god-willing if McDermott hits the bricks soon.

Anyone with hopes of contention in 2024 (barring a stud WR acquisition)doesn't understand football.

At all.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    In the end, Diggs didn't work out here. Blame goes to more than just Diggs but it was an unnecessary weight around the teams neck so it was time to move on. It's Allen's team now.

Not sure why Houston thinks the hassle is worth it. Especially with Stroud who makes that O already deadly.
    I don't think that's necessarily true.

He helped turn Josh Allen into a superstar elite QB and was stellar for the better part of 3 1/2 years. What did not work out was his playoff performances. Josh elevates his game for the playoffs like most truly great players do...Diggs seems to do the opposite.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    Bills fans have a very good team, just one that is not as good as Andy Reid's team. Can't get over that hump. Until Beane & McDermott prove they can do that people will feel that way.
    As you probably know, I disagree.

I would change that to 'Bills fans have a very good team, just one that does not have a QB as good as Patrick Mahomes'. YET. He's close....very close.

Democrats are people too imbondz's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,008 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I hate this organization again.
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    The team will not be better next year, not without a major FA WR pickup or a stud WR in the draft. Will the Bills be better in the long run? Should be, god-willing if McDermott hits the bricks soon.

Anyone with hopes of contention in 2024 (barring a stud WR acquisition)doesn't understand football.

At all.
    we were on a winning streak when Diggs wasnt a factor. Diggs is still a no.1 , but not in Bradys system.

We know Samuel can play in Bradys system, if Brady can find his Justin Jefferson in this draft ......... well check out the numbers when Brady was the OC at LSU.
    Even the rb got 50+ receptions.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...99/season/2019

20. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by imbondz View Post
    I hate this organization again.
    I like what Beane did with a receiver who wanted out.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

23. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (04-05-2024)

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,918 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

25. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-06-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There was one fairly big thing that happened in Week 1 of the 2023 season. Tim Graham, who covers the Bills for TheAthletic.com, mentioned on his podcast an incident between Allen and Diggs after the season-opening loss to the Jets, who lost quarterback Aaron Rodgers after only four plays.
    Per Graham, Diggs approached Allen in the locker room, and Allen didn’t react well to whatever Diggs said.

“I didn’t know what Stefon Diggs said to him, but Josh Allen snapped at him,” Graham said, via LarryBrownSports.com. “He said, ‘It’s one f—ing game!’ and kind of motioned like I’m not talking to you here. And Diggs walked away and Josh sat there. In retrospect, keeping in mind this was Week 1 when for all we know everyone is hunky dory, but looking back on it I wish I would have included that in my story or made some sort of reference to it. Maybe Stefon Diggs was saying something nice to him, but [Allen] didn’t snap at anybody else.”

Chances are Allen didn’t snap without a reason. He doesn’t seem to be that way. Maybe he was on edge after throwing three interceptions and losing in prime time to Zach Wilson. Or maybe Diggs made a comment that pushed his buttons.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

By trading Diggs, the Bills are trying to reshape the team around Allen during the remaining years of his prime. They want no impediments to his ability to lead. They want none of the minor issues from Diggs that eventually became a big enough deal to trade him.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Buffalo Bills reportedly allowed Stefon Diggs to seek trade from all but one rival team - newyorkupstate.com

‘“From what I do know, is he was allowed to seek a trade from anybody in the league except the Kansas City Chiefs, Mike,” Simms told Florio. “That’s what I’ve been told by multiple people. He was allowed to do that. The Chiefs were the only team they weren’t going to trade to.”’

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,510 Times in 15,592 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    Come on folks, the team especially the defense was not good enough even with Hyde, Poyer and White. Hell they missed more games than they played and the first two clearly lost a step. I hope White comes back and plays to his abilities but probably not. The one thing I can agree on is McD, he does do some questionable decisions.
    And for 50 years....have not been able to cover a tight end.

But to spit all this venom at Josh is crazy. You complained about his interceptions and he cleaned that up during the last half of the season. Some of you have convinced yourself he doesn’t do enough film study, he plays too much golf, he cares more about casing women then football, his priorities are wrong. I must ask, where did you read this, who are your sources, what evidence do you have? My god, you have one the great quarterbacks of a generation and you guys can’t even in enjoy it!!!
    I agree.

He is the second best player in the entire NFL.

And there were those here who whined about accuracy coming out of college.

Sure cleaned that up with a little coaching, didn't he?

The bottom line is that it's still a team game, and while the Bills are a very good team, like most, they still have deficiencies.

Injuries haven't helped them either.

If I were BB, I would be looking very hard at my medical/training staff, and asking a lot of questions.

30. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-06-2024)