Thread: More draft memories. Come in if you want to vomit over some history

Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,003 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

More draft memories. Come in if you want to vomit over some history

So exactly how important is getting this draft and every draft right in order to finally bring Vince home?

Be warned, you may want to go kneel in front of your toilet before reading.

I’ve already talked about our various missteps throughout the years with who we picked.

Now let’s consider the full ramifications of the picks we didn’t make…

In 1998 we traded away our number 9 pick to the Jaguars for Rob Johnson :

FRED TAYLOR is who the Jags selected with that pick. He’s on the Hall of Fame ballot and may someday get in.

In 2003 we traded away our number 14 pick to the Jaguars for Drew Bledsoe:

TY WARREN is who the Patsies ended up selecting by using that pick (via one more trade). He was one of the best Pats defenders of all time.

In 2020 we traded away our number 22 pick to the Vikings for Stefon Diggs:

JUSTIN JEFFERSON is who the Vikes ended up selecting with that pick. If he stays healthy he will be on the HOF ballot.

In 2017 we traded away our number 10 pick to the Chiefs for picks that turned into Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds (got convoluted with other trades):

PATRICK MAHOMES is who the Chiefs ended up selecting with that pick. Future first ballot HOF if he retires today.

THREE HOFish players and ONE stud for Rob Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, Stefon Diggs, Tre White Tremaine Edmunds.

Obviously this is all in hindsight but it does highlight the importance of making the right decisions along with getting the draft right. For example I was on record for despising the trade for Bledsoe AND the trade to the Chiefs. I’m just an armchair GM and I made the right calls when our GMs didn’t?

Then look at the Diggs trade, although he was good for us during the majority of his tenure the deal ended up being yet another fleecing of us. If we hold our water and don’t trade for Diggs not only could we have taken Jefferson BUT Aiyuk, Michael Pittman Jr AND Tee Higgins were all on the board after the pick. Those are pretty good odds.

Bottom line? Let’s not spoon this one up.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,198 Times in 5,923 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: More draft memories. Come in if you want to vomit over some history

I don’t see the trade for Diggs as bad at all. He was great for Josh and he was a great receiver. Now we get a second rounder who will be player X next off season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    I don’t see the trade for Diggs as bad at all. He was great for Josh and he was a great receiver. Now we get a second rounder who will be player X next off season.
    It’s obviously debatable and there is hindsight benefit but we gave up 6 picks for 3.5 effective seasons of Diggs and a 2nd round pick when we could have kept those picks and had any one of 4 stud WR all younger and still under team control and all just entering their primes.

Then who knows what those picks if kept could have turned into?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    It’s obviously debatable and there is hindsight benefit but we gave up 6 picks for 3.5 effective seasons of Diggs and a 2nd round pick when we could have kept those picks and had any one of 4 stud WR all younger and still under team control and all just entering their primes.

This is why I’m against moving up for one of the “can’t miss” WR’s. Especially this year, besides WR the Bills need to fill some depth.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    This is why I’m against moving up for one of the “can’t miss” WR’s. Especially this year, besides WR the Bills need to fill some depth.
    I agree. If we hold our water we fill more than one hole with some quality “chances” as opposed to spending the farm for the can’t miss.

But with BBB running the show we pretty much can pencil in a trade up. Just hope it works as well as the Josh trade as opposed to all of my examples.

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-06-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,198 Times in 5,923 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

5 picks not six. But I see your point.