Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If the Bills go "All In" for Marvin Harrison JR, How would you feel?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: If the Bills go "All In" for Marvin Harrison JR, How would you feel?

Beane has a 100% positive history of meeting the 1st rounder as a GM. So far the running report of top 30 visits including known meets at the combine indicates none of the top 3 WR is on the list. Again, this is just the media best attempts at guessing what Beane might do, not what he should/should not do, nor it is inclusive because we know teams meet more players than reported.

On the list for WR are Ladd McConkey, Troy Franklin, Keon Coleman, Tez Walker, Xavier Worthy, Brian Thomas Jr., Jalen McMillan, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Legette, Roman Wilson, Jonny Wilson, Stefan Cobbs, Paul Woods.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bil...t-tracker.html

2. Post thanked by:

Forward_Lateral (04-10-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,083 Times in 4,280 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Arizona allegedly wants 3 first round picks for pick 4

LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Arizona allegedly wants 3 first round picks for pick 4

LOL
    Let’s see if some doofus team bites in that (or slightly less than that) for one of the meh QBs. I doubt it.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,718 Times in 7,771 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    We had that “core” last year PLUS all the talent and experience we lost. And you can list the flaws of the guys we lost. We still don’t have anyone equal or better to make up the gap. And the June 1 cap space won’t be nearly enough to replace it all.

The Bills are in far worse shape than they were last year, and the results prove that last year wasn’t good enough. This is nothing but the usual homer spin from you.

Blah...blah...blah...blah...

You had the Bills buried VERY early last year. Do I really have to go over all the ****ty predictions you made????

In FACT, the Bills did EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of what you said they would do and went on a 6-1 finish to the year, not only winning the AFCE title for the fourth time is a row (which you said they would not), but getting the #2 seed (which you also said they would not)

With hardly ANY help from their supposed elite #1 WR, who has NEVER played at an elite level in the most critical games of his four years here....EACH playoff loss the past four years.

I have opined accurately that Josh Allen failure to rise to the "Mt Rushmore" of QB's (exactly what Kurt Warner observed....what, is Kurt giving "homer spin"???! How stupid) after the 2 min warning in the KC game was the tiny, sliver of a difference.

It is not "homer spin" to accurately observe the facts and reality. It is YOU that are putting your usual anti-Bills sour puss spin that is almost always wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And as usual, you move the goal posts and talk about what happened in the past because you got called out for your homer spin on the current topic.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Nota's darling...Joe B did the basically the same thing in his mock yesterday, except for Nabers.

The Bills give the Titans 28, 60 and 133 this year, plus next years' No. 1 for the Titans 7 and 182. The Bills take Nabers.

https://theathletic.com/5391796/2024...n-diggs-trade/

I can understand moving up some for either Thomas or AD Mitchell, and giving up less. there is a chance you won't have to move up at all for Mitchell.
    First of all, Joe B. is NOT my "darling". I have three "darlings" in my life...my wife and my two daughters. Don't besmirch or trivialize my relationship with them with silly crap about someone as mundane and irrelevant as a sports writer. How lame. Just sayin'

Joe B IS, in fact, the best Bills BEAT reporter in so much as his observations of the team and players, in particular with his always interesting "All-22 Film" analysis and grading are stellar, presenting astute insight and expert analysis. Anyone who reads him regularly is better informed.

Anyway, of course, I read his mock draft. I have no idea if it is anywhere close to something that may or even should happen. That's why mock drafts are so much fun. Pure speculation.

What you do not present, and what really matters, is his LOGIC for speculating. Coming from a professional writer, who's only assignment is the Buffalo Bills, his insight is noteworthy. Here is his full analysis which is very interesting, insightful and astute.

Tennessee Titans trade Nos. 7, 182 to Bills for Nos. 28, 60, 133 and 2025 1st

The pick at No. 7: Bills – Malik Nabers, WR, LSU

I continue to believe that anything, including a move like this one on draft day, is a real possibility for the Bills. Beane has long been an aggressive draft-day trader when he’s excited about a prospect and how he’d fit their system. Now, with a gaping hole for a top target at wide receiver and where the Bills are in their build, this is the type of move Beane could rationalize as one that puts them over the top for the foreseeable future. The cost of doing business might be high for some, which is understandable. I’m sure it will evoke memories of the Bills’ move up the board to take Sammy Watkins in 2014. But this is an entirely different situation from 2014 — almost comically so. Back then, it was the desperate move of a franchise hoping Watkins would help EJ Manuel become the franchise quarterback while blatantly ignoring several warning signs he was not that player. Now, there’s nothing for their quarterback to prove. The Bills have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Josh Allen, a still-talented roster around him, and a pretty good idea that they’ll be pushing for the playoffs at the very least in 2024. By arming him with a young receiver with elite potential on a rookie deal for the next four years, it gives the Bills a lot of flexibility for how they spend through the duration of the receiver’s rookie deal. I’d liken this move more to the one the Atlanta Falcons made in 2011 to fly up the board and select Julio Jones, already with a top quarterback in Matt Ryan in place. They certainly didn’t regret that trade for a second.

The recent trade of Diggs, and acquiring the Vikings’ 2025 2nd from the Texans, could empower Beane to make a stark move up the board like this one, too. With an extremely unsettled quarterback room — either starting journeyman backup Sam Darnold or a rookie — that pick has a good chance of turning into an early second-round selection. If that does happen, the Bills could easily get themselves back at the end of the first round next year, or just view their early second-round pick as their first-round pick replacement for dealing it away to get a potential game-changing receiver. For the right player, Beane will move a first-round pick.

Is Nabers worth this type of move? In a more standard draft year, Nabers would easily be the best receiver prospect by a wide margin and likely one of the first players selected. He is outrageously talented and smooth, with the explosiveness to win however the Bills ask him to. The separation is effortless whether he’s at X, Z or slot and he gets the defender to bite at his breakdown constantly. He can win with physicality or speed and will eat cushion from off-defenders alive. Nabers has excellent, crisp footwork, and his contested catch concentration is simply outstanding. On top of it all, he can be a monster with yards after the catch, either using physicality to drag defenders or his 4.35 speed to blow up a play. Nabers has all the potential to be a star in the NFL, and with one of the league’s best quarterbacks in Allen, it increases that likelihood by a large margin. Nabers is worth the hype. But would he make everyone forget about the price tag? It certainly looks like he has all the potential to do so. And with the Bills looking like they’ll have cap space to work with in 2025, it could be the catalyst to another push toward the top of the AFC.
    It's difficult to fault his reasoning. As with every draft, one never knows what is going to happen until it starts, and as every pick is made, it changes the decisions of each team (sometimes profoundly) depending on their draft board, and the possibility of striking a deal and the price.

This suggested trade is similar to what Forward put forth (and I did not have a knee jerk reaction that some here had, poo-pooing it out of hand) but the cost of next years 1st AND 2nd makes it much steeper.

Another interesting trade scenario was published today in CBS Sports Chris Trapasso's seven round mock where he has the Bills trading DOWN and STILL drafting THREE WRs'.

It's a pretty compelling idea....

1st Round Trade to Carolina for #1 Rd (#33) & #101 for Bills #28 & #248

33. Buffalo Bills (via mock trade w/ Panthers) - Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia
    60. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Dorlus, EDGE/DL, Oregon
    101. Buffalo Bills (via mock trade w/ Panthers) - Keon Coleman, WR, Florida State
    133. Buffalo Bills - Nathan Thomas, OL, Louisiana
    144. Buffalo Bills - Dwight McGlothern, DB, Arkansas
    160. Buffalo Bills - Tyrone Tracy, RB, Purdue
    163. Buffalo Bills - Cedric Johnson, EDGE, Ole Miss
    200. Buffalo Bills - Donovan Jennings, OL, UCF
    204. Buffalo Bills - Ryan Flournoy, WR, SE Missouri State

A lot of the mocks have McConkey going to KC at #32. Who knows????

I'm pretty satisfied and relieved that I AM NOT the one making decisions like these. It's a extremely difficult job.

Watching the NFL draft is always fun for any football fan. This year is going to be must-watch TV for any Bills fan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 625 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

WR is not a position you mostly HAVE to get in the first round.

https://twitter.com/TheJoeMarino/sta...55487586095569
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

9. Post thanked by:

DetoxTent (04-10-2024),notacon (04-10-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    And as usual, you move the goal posts and talk about what happened in the past because you got called out for your homer spin on the current topic.
    What baloney.

I'm not moving any goalposts. YOU ARE!!! Trying desperately (and failing) to obscure the fact that the majority of your sourpuss predictions were wrong which shows a stunning lack of judgement and realistic observations...over and over and over again.

Which makes your further predictions of doom and gloom, lacking in any credibility.

Sorry, but since I believe that Diggs was an ALBATROSS in his playoff (lack of) performances and especially his cancerous locker room presence, and the readily assumed detrimental relationship he had with Josh Allen this year, I see him as a NEGATIVE to the "core" of the Bills.

I also believe that every one of the players they moved on from (which you opined means the Bills got "worse") will prove to the team better. I strongly suspect if the Bills did NOT move on from those players, you'd be here whine that they are too old, they are washed up and a waste of cap space and the team needs to get younger....etc...etc...all presented as negatives.

In other words, I believe no matter WHAT the Bills do, you will have the same sourpuss anti-Bills rubbish. That's your nature.

So, you are wrong (as usual) there is no "homer spin" on the current topic, it's realistic observations that are difficult to refute...which you can't except top whining with the same tired predictions that you have been proven wrong time and time and time again.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post

I already posted some of my own research concerning that reality...

Some of today's very best WR's were not 1st round picks.

Interestingly, only ONE of the Top Five WR's in 2023 (in yards) was a first round pick. Two (including the #1 WR) were FIFTH round picks, One 4th round and one 2nd. Rank of the Top 5 and their draft round...

#1 - Tyreek Hill - 5th
    #2 - CeeDee Lamb - 1st
    #3 - Amon-Ra St Brown - 4th
    #4 - Puka Nacua - 5th
    $5 - A.J. Brown - 2nd.

The Bills #1 WR, Stefon Diggs (#13 in 2023 receiving yards) was also a 5th round pick.

Yes, first round picks are more likely to be good WRs' but not overwhelmingly so. Like a substantial percentage of all first round picks, there are more busts or those that do not come close to performing as well as their draft status.

In fact, out of the Top 20 WR in 2023...

9 - 1st round
    5 - 2nd round
    2 - 3rd round
    1 - 4th round
    3 - 5th round

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Let’s see if some doofus team bites in that (or slightly less than that) for one of the meh QBs. I doubt it.
    I'm a diehard Michigan fan, and McCarthy was great, but I just don't see how he's a top 10 pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Let's say the chips fell, and MHJ was still sitting there, somehow, at Arizona's pick.

If the Bills traded up to 5 by giving up 28, 60, next year's 1st and 2nd and drafted Marv JR, what would you do?

I'm not saying they should, would or even could, but what if they did?
    you don't trade up for a position if that draft is loaded at that such position... lets remember that Diggs was a 5th, Devonte Adams was pick #53 of the 2nd round.. Keenan Allen was a 3rd round pick so its very clear you don't have to break the bank to get that WR..

If I was the Bills I'd stay put and see who is on the board, I'm in the minority here and say the Bills should draft a O-linman preferably a center ,, I like Jackson Powers Johnson out of Oregon at 28 if he is there..

why you say is we have a once in a life time QB lets keep him protected , right now we have to replace 2 by moving McGovern to center and then bringing in a left guard, there is no garuntee that McGovern is the answer at center, he hasn't played there since college ... by drafting this kid out of Oregon not only is he a lot bigger than Morris he is more athletic than Morris, now are whole right side of the o-line is young and would be the smart move.

if you have to you trade up in the 2nd round for a wr like Ladd McConkey. or the kid out of Florida who might end up being the best of this years class.

Harrison has got a lot of attention because #1 he has his daddy's name, #2 he played at Ohio state which he was surrounded by talent. to me this is like the year Josh came out in the draft, most were in love with Mayfield at QB while a select few who follow college ball followed Allen through out his college career, a player who played with guys that are working at Lowes and home depot now vs a guy that had WRs 6 yards open with separation at a school loaded with talent...

the Kid from Florida Ricky Pearsall who played with a crap QB and surrounded by so so talent who played against probably the best defense's in division 1 football will end up being the most productive WR in this class and can be had in the 3rd round, problem is the Bills don't have a 3rd..

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cas22 View Post
    you don't trade up for a position if that draft is loaded at that such position... lets remember that Diggs was a 5th, Devonte Adams was pick #53 of the 2nd round.. Keenan Allen was a 3rd round pick so its very clear you don't have to break the bank to get that WR..

If I was the Bills I'd stay put and see who is on the board, I'm in the minority here and say the Bills should draft a O-linman preferably a center ,, I like Jackson Powers Johnson out of Oregon at 28 if he is there..

why you say is we have a once in a life time QB lets keep him protected , right now we have to replace 2 by moving McGovern to center and then bringing in a left guard, there is no garuntee that McGovern is the answer at center, he hasn't played there since college ... by drafting this kid out of Oregon not only is he a lot bigger than Morris he is more athletic than Morris, now are whole right side of the o-line is young and would be the smart move.

if you have to you trade up in the 2nd round for a wr like Ladd McConkey. or the kid out of Florida who might end up being the best of this years class.

Harrison has got a lot of attention because #1 he has his daddy's name, #2 he played at Ohio state which he was surrounded by talent. to me this is like the year Josh came out in the draft, most were in love with Mayfield at QB while a select few who follow college ball followed Allen through out his college career, a player who played with guys that are working at Lowes and home depot now vs a guy that had WRs 6 yards open with separation at a school loaded with talent...

the Kid from Florida Ricky Pearsall who played with a crap QB and surrounded by so so talent who played against probably the best defense's in division 1 football will end up being the most productive WR in this class and can be had in the 3rd round, problem is the Bills don't have a 3rd..
    I would not be upset if they didn't take a WR at 28. As long as they don't take something completely idiotic like RB. Even if they took a shut down corner ala Sauce Gardner, I would not complain.

That being said, I hope they take a WR or if Powers is there, him. I agree with you on him being a generational Center.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm a diehard Michigan fan, and McCarthy was great, but I just don't see how he's a top 10 pick.
    That’s how weak (IMO) this draft is at QB, when JJ McCarthy is being talked about as a first round pick. Bro smells like Joey Harrington.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Just as a general guideline, I'm against giving up something lie Joe B proposed here (by the way, I believe it is not enough) for one player, a non QB player, and not even the best in his position in this draft.

I'm all for get a difference maker. In this case, you are betting on this guy being a future HOF. Whatever you think the reasonings are, the biggest one is that you trust your scouting on WR is right on. Well, history showed many, in fact, majority WRs in HOF are drafted outside of top 10. Why the same scouting not able to unearth the Justin Jefferson type of guys in previous drafts (and that you have to trade for Diggs from Minny in the first place)? If you have doubts, like you have doubts on Justin Jefferson, don't do it. Play the odds. Instead of one guy, I can draft 2 first rounders, one second rounder, and one 4th rounder. If one of the 4 guys turns out being a difference maker, regardless the position, I'm already ahead.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    First of all, Joe B. is NOT my "darling". I have three "darlings" in my life...my wife and my two daughters. Don't besmirch or trivialize my relationship with them with silly crap about someone as mundane and irrelevant as a sports writer. How lame. Just sayin'

Joe B IS, in fact, the best Bills BEAT reporter in so much as his observations of the team and players, in particular with his always interesting "All-22 Film" analysis and grading are stellar, presenting astute insight and expert analysis. Anyone who reads him regularly is better informed.

Anyway, of course, I read his mock draft. I have no idea if it is anywhere close to something that may or even should happen. That's why mock drafts are so much fun. Pure speculation.

What you do not present, and what really matters, is his LOGIC for speculating. Coming from a professional writer, who's only assignment is the Buffalo Bills, his insight is noteworthy. Here is his full analysis which is very interesting, insightful and astute.

It's difficult to fault his reasoning. As with every draft, one never knows what is going to happen until it starts, and as every pick is made, it changes the decisions of each team (sometimes profoundly) depending on their draft board, and the possibility of striking a deal and the price.

This suggested trade is similar to what Forward put forth (and I did not have a knee jerk reaction that some here had, poo-pooing it out of hand) but the cost of next years 1st AND 2nd makes it much steeper.

Another interesting trade scenario was published today in CBS Sports Chris Trapasso's seven round mock where he has the Bills trading DOWN and STILL drafting THREE WRs'.

I'm pretty satisfied and relieved that I AM NOT the one making decisions like these. It's a extremely difficult job.

Watching the NFL draft is always fun for any football fan. This year is going to be must-watch TV for any Bills fan.
    KCs issues were not there play makers, there O-line was terrible, I'd be shocked if they don't take a o-lineman esp if theres a tackle there.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They aren't really worse.
    Milano will be back, so the LBs are already instantly better than last year.
    Corners are a wash, as the ones they lost (Tre and Dane) didn't contribute all that much.

Safety, to me is the big question mark. Even though Po and Hyde showed their age a lot, they still played better than average. Rapp played ok in his role, but how will he do in one of the traditional safety spots? Who will man the other safety spot?
    I wouldn't say they are all that much worse on paper, to be honest. The only position they've gotten weaker at is safety, but there's still the draft.
    You are right that the two biggest positional question marks are WR and safety. Rapp is not very good. He's not a starting safety, IMO. Figure they will draft at least one. Then what? They could use a DT for the rotation also.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    Depending how the WRs go ahead of their first round pick, would it be ok to go safety in round #1, WR in #2, the WR again later on?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    Depending how the WRs go ahead of their first round pick, would it be ok to go safety in round #1, WR in #2, the WR again later on?
    Only if the run hasn’t gotten too deep on WR and Nubin is available. None of the other safeties are first rounders.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,905 Times in 4,025 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah, I read his justification. He's still talking about giving away 2 no. 1 picks, a 2nd and a 4th for a WR, in a relatively deep class. Its cute speculation, but its also mortgaging the future for one non-QB player. Its far closer to Russ Brandon than it is Brandon Beane.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,905 Times in 4,025 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I already posted some of my own research concerning that reality...

Some of today's very best WR's were not 1st round picks.

Interestingly, only ONE of the Top Five WR's in 2023 (in yards) was a first round pick. Two (including the #1 WR) were FIFTH round picks, One 4th round and one 2nd. Rank of the Top 5 and their draft round...

#1 - Tyreek Hill - 5th
    #2 - CeeDee Lamb - 1st
    #3 - Amon-Ra St Brown - 4th
    #4 - Puka Nacua - 5th
    $5 - A.J. Brown - 2nd.

The Bills #1 WR, Stefon Diggs (#13 in 2023 receiving yards) was also a 5th round pick.

Yes, first round picks are more likely to be good WRs' but not overwhelmingly so. Like a substantial percentage of all first round picks, there are more busts or those that do not come close to performing as well as their draft status.

In fact, out of the Top 20 WR in 2023...

9 - 1st round
    5 - 2nd round
    2 - 3rd round
    1 - 4th round
    3 - 5th round
    I heard the podcast, again, its interesting. But this isn't the year to say, "We can get one down the road, there is no need to use a no. 1 pick on a WR."

There are some serious outliers at work here.

When you talk about the mid round picks that have made it, consider how many DIDN'T make it. In the list that you gave, as well as the one that Marino gave, these mid round gems pop up about 1 or two per year, once in a while, 3.

Examples:

Diggs was a 5th round pick in 2015. He was the 20th WR taken, the 15th past the first round. There were 35 WR taken that year, 29 after the 1st round. Of that...you have Diggs, taken in the 5th. Tyler Lockett was taken in the 3rd. Other than that, you have guys who contributed at times, like Jamison Crowder. But most...failed.

Tyreek Hill was a 5th round pick in 2016. He was the 18th WR taken and the 14th past the 1st round. There were 31 WRs taken that year, 27 past the 1st round. The vast majority failed.

I seriously doubt the Rams last year said to themselves, "we can wait, Puca will be there in the 5th. I'm sure the CHiefs didn't think that when they drafted Hill, or the Vikings when they drafted Diggs.

Its the same logic that says you can wait until the late rounds because Tom Brady was a 6th round pick or Brock Purdy was a 7th round pick.

Or its the same logic that would say you only take WRs who run a 4.6 because that's what Jerry Rice ran a 4.6 40 years ago.

The 2nd round picks are a little different. Many come from the 2nd. The 2019 draft was the best example, where Deebo, AJ Brown and Metcalf all came from the 2nd. But keep in mind that the Bills draft towards the end of the 2nd. Deebo and AJ Brown were taken towards the top of the 2nd. And as far as DK Metcalf, Im sure there are GM's still kicking themselves for letting him fall that far. Not too many will want to make the same mistake.

The Bills traded away their no.1 WR and their no 2 wr (sort of), is gone. This is no year to take some pass rusher, or safety, with the plan that they can get their No. 1 WR in the later rounds.

Rather, its a year to take the best WR at 28 and then another 1, or 2 in the later rounds.

23. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (04-11-2024)