A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Ok

I mean, who pissed in your Cheerios?
    The Sabres.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      The Sabres.
      It's okay. We can see who will win a championship first.

My Jazz included.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

It's okay. We can see who will win a championship first.

My Jazz included.
        Kudos for hanging on to the pro game. I bailed when Jordan ruined the league.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          Kudos for hanging on to the pro game. I bailed when Jordan ruined the league.
          I did bail on the Sabres around 1990 when I moved to Utah. Obviously the coverage back then wasn't accessible like it is now. The NBA was the only big 4 game in town, so following them wasn't a hard decision. Stockton, Malone, Jerry Sloan, Larry H Miller (owner), and the small market team were easy to root for. The fan base keeps me going back. Many play or have played the game (I do not) so the knowledge and passion is there.

We'll see what the market here is for hockey. They've had a minor league team for a few decades (the Grizzlies) and a brand new NHL sized rink is being buit just outside of Par City. It will be the future home of the Utah Outliers, an elite U-20 junior hockey team.

We're about to be announced as the host for the '34 winter Olympics. I'm sure the Yotes will get residual buzz from that.

And the new owner is a young tech guy, also owns the Jazz, surely is enticing to the league. Local. He's no dummy. I'm sure there will be butts in the seats.

Comment

• ckg927
            Not quite Best in the World....
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
            He has 5 years to build a new arena
            Again, IF he wins the auction for the land needed. As Cody Rhodes once put it, "That is a very big IF."
            John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
            David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
              • Aug 2012

It's come out that the coyotes weren't paying hotel bills for road stops.

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

I did bail on the Sabres around 1990 when I moved to Utah. Obviously the coverage back then wasn't accessible like it is now. The NBA was the only big 4 game in town, so following them wasn't a hard decision. Stockton, Malone, Jerry Sloan, Larry H Miller (owner), and the small market team were easy to root for. The fan base keeps me going back. Many play or have played the game (I do not) so the knowledge and passion is there.

We'll see what the market here is for hockey. They've had a minor league team for a few decades (the Grizzlies) and a brand new NHL sized rink is being buit just outside of Par City. It will be the future home of the Utah Outliers, an elite U-20 junior hockey team.

We're about to be announced as the host for the '34 winter Olympics. I'm sure the Yotes will get residual buzz from that.

And the new owner is a young tech guy, also owns the Jazz, surely is enticing to the league. Local. He's no dummy. I'm sure there will be butts in the seats.
              Question since you're in Utah. Are they thinking of replacing the Delta Center? It opened in 92 and that's old for an arena. Or have they kept it modern with upgrades?
              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

Question since you're in Utah. Are they thinking of replacing the Delta Center? It opened in 92 and that's old for an arena. Or have they kept it modern with upgrades?
                It’s weird how disposable stadiums and arenas have become. You think of places like MSG, Lambeau Field and Notre Dame Stadium and it just makes you wonder how teams can barely get 30 years out of a building now.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                  • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                  It’s weird how disposable stadiums and arenas have become. You think of places like MSG, Lambeau Field and Notre Dame Stadium and it just makes you wonder how teams can barely get 30 years out of a building now.
                  Well, they've completely remade lambeau and MSG. Like MSG is practically a brand new arena aside from the shell.

And college stadiums also often get remade. Like Michigan stadium is completely modern with just a really old bowl structure which works for college sports.

I do think you'll see less new arenas and more complete renovations like they've done other places, including Seattle.

And Buffalos time for a complete overhaul is coming. Soon.
                  Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• mightysimi
                    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                    • Mar 2010

The best post I saw about the move was:

- in 96 the Coyotes moved into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines and they have been struggling ever since.

Now to move to Salt Lake....into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines. What could go wrong?

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                      The best post I saw about the move was:

- in 96 the Coyotes moved into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines and they have been struggling ever since.

Now to move to Salt Lake....into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines. What could go wrong?
                      How was America west renovated? Did it not have an ice plant? It was almost brand new when the yotes moved in. I

I just never knew they did any work to accommodate the yotes, I just figured they threw em in there and called it a day
                      Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 04-16-2024, 12:18 AM.
                      Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• mightysimi
                        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                        • Mar 2010

How was America west renovated? Did it not have an ice plant? It was almost brand new when the yotes moved in. I

I just never knew they did any work to accommodate the yotes, I just figured they threw em in there and called it a day
                        It was just a basketball stadium so it stands to reason it didn't have an ice plant. I don't know the details but do know the sight lines where terrible which is why they moved to Glendale.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                          • Mar 2015

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the plan. Earlier this year, Utah lawmakers approved a bill that opens up the possibility of building a new arena in downtown Salt Lake City that would be home to the Utah Jazz and the NHL team.

A plan for a MLB stadium a few miles away is also in the works.

If the Jazz's owner, Ryan Smith, handles the Yotes like he has handled the Jazz since he acquired it, I'm not too optimistic.

With the Jazz he's had a mediocre team with captive audience who has an impressive consecutive sellout streak. He traded away our two great players for a haul of picks and then instead of properly tanking for a shot at drafting our Mario Lemioux (Victor Wembayama), the only way for a small market team to win it all, he fielded a team that finished 9th.

No guts, no glory.

I'm afraid he'll do the same with the Coyotes. Have a good team with players that fans can connect with, but won't make the tough business decisions to go after a title.

Comment

• ckg927
                            Not quite Best in the World....
                            • Aug 2012

ESPN reported that the Delta Center is going to be renovated to make it more fit for hockey.
                            John Hemingway(facing certain death): I want to see Buffalo win the Super Bowl.
                            David Coltrane(threatening John): Nobody's going to live that long, pal.

-The John Larroquette Show, "A Dark and Stormy Night", 4/12/94

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ckg927 View Post
                              ESPN reported that the Delta Center is going to be renovated to make it more fit for hockey.
                              For the interim, while the taxpayers pay for the new building to be built. Probably.

Comment

• Historian
                                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                                • Dec 2002

I don't know what kind of a market Salt Lake will be, but I'm hopeful.

What grinds at me, is that they're talking expansion yet again, and the cities listed are an abomination.

Phoenix (Oye!)

Atlanta (Are you ****ing kidding me???)

Houston (meh)

Kansas City (already failed there once)

Oklahoma City (that's in Oklahoma, right?)

Then there's old Quebec, which is the only logical choice, as there is already a fan base and a new arena.

Watch them get screwed again.

Comment

Working...
                                X