Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 12,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

It's come out that the coyotes weren't paying hotel bills for road stops.

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    I did bail on the Sabres around 1990 when I moved to Utah. Obviously the coverage back then wasn't accessible like it is now. The NBA was the only big 4 game in town, so following them wasn't a hard decision. Stockton, Malone, Jerry Sloan, Larry H Miller (owner), and the small market team were easy to root for. The fan base keeps me going back. Many play or have played the game (I do not) so the knowledge and passion is there.

We'll see what the market here is for hockey. They've had a minor league team for a few decades (the Grizzlies) and a brand new NHL sized rink is being buit just outside of Par City. It will be the future home of the Utah Outliers, an elite U-20 junior hockey team.

We're about to be announced as the host for the '34 winter Olympics. I'm sure the Yotes will get residual buzz from that.

And the new owner is a young tech guy, also owns the Jazz, surely is enticing to the league. Local. He's no dummy. I'm sure there will be butts in the seats.
    Question since you're in Utah. Are they thinking of replacing the Delta Center? It opened in 92 and that's old for an arena. Or have they kept it modern with upgrades?
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

Question since you're in Utah. Are they thinking of replacing the Delta Center? It opened in 92 and that's old for an arena. Or have they kept it modern with upgrades?
    It’s weird how disposable stadiums and arenas have become. You think of places like MSG, Lambeau Field and Notre Dame Stadium and it just makes you wonder how teams can barely get 30 years out of a building now.

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-19-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It’s weird how disposable stadiums and arenas have become. You think of places like MSG, Lambeau Field and Notre Dame Stadium and it just makes you wonder how teams can barely get 30 years out of a building now.
    Well, they've completely remade lambeau and MSG. Like MSG is practically a brand new arena aside from the shell.

And college stadiums also often get remade. Like Michigan stadium is completely modern with just a really old bowl structure which works for college sports.

I do think you'll see less new arenas and more complete renovations like they've done other places, including Seattle.

And Buffalos time for a complete overhaul is coming. Soon.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The best post I saw about the move was:

- in 96 the Coyotes moved into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines and they have been struggling ever since.

Now to move to Salt Lake....into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines. What could go wrong?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    The best post I saw about the move was:

- in 96 the Coyotes moved into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines and they have been struggling ever since.

Now to move to Salt Lake....into a renovated Basketball arena with terrible hockey sight lines. What could go wrong?
    How was America west renovated? Did it not have an ice plant? It was almost brand new when the yotes moved in. I

I just never knew they did any work to accommodate the yotes, I just figured they threw em in there and called it a day
    Last edited by JATMtheJATM; 04-16-2024 at 12:18 AM.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How was America west renovated? Did it not have an ice plant? It was almost brand new when the yotes moved in. I

I just never knew they did any work to accommodate the yotes, I just figured they threw em in there and called it a day
    It was just a basketball stadium so it stands to reason it didn't have an ice plant. I don't know the details but do know the sight lines where terrible which is why they moved to Glendale.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,851 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Jesus Christ.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the plan. Earlier this year, Utah lawmakers approved a bill that opens up the possibility of building a new arena in downtown Salt Lake City that would be home to the Utah Jazz and the NHL team.

A plan for a MLB stadium a few miles away is also in the works.

If the Jazz's owner, Ryan Smith, handles the Yotes like he has handled the Jazz since he acquired it, I'm not too optimistic.

With the Jazz he's had a mediocre team with captive audience who has an impressive consecutive sellout streak. He traded away our two great players for a haul of picks and then instead of properly tanking for a shot at drafting our Mario Lemioux (Victor Wembayama), the only way for a small market team to win it all, he fielded a team that finished 9th.

No guts, no glory.

I'm afraid he'll do the same with the Coyotes. Have a good team with players that fans can connect with, but won't make the tough business decisions to go after a title.

Not quite Best in the World.... ckg927's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,519 Times in 4,891 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

ESPN reported that the Delta Center is going to be renovated to make it more fit for hockey.
    "We've got a lot to cover. The good news is...I've got the time and I ain't going anywhere." -CM Punk, AEW Rampage, 8/20/21

"I see things in black and white and I have a zero tolerance policy for ****ty people." -Jon Moxley, AEW Dynamite, 1/6/21

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ckg927 View Post
    ESPN reported that the Delta Center is going to be renovated to make it more fit for hockey.
    For the interim, while the taxpayers pay for the new building to be built. Probably.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,343 Times in 15,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't know what kind of a market Salt Lake will be, but I'm hopeful.

What grinds at me, is that they're talking expansion yet again, and the cities listed are an abomination.

Phoenix (Oye!)

Atlanta (Are you ****ing kidding me???)

Houston (meh)

Kansas City (already failed there once)

Oklahoma City (that's in Oklahoma, right?)

Then there's old Quebec, which is the only logical choice, as there is already a fan base and a new arena.

Watch them get screwed again.

12. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (04-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I don't know what kind of a market Salt Lake will be, but I'm hopeful.

What grinds at me, is that they're talking expansion yet again, and the cities listed are an abomination.

Phoenix (Oye!)

Atlanta (Are you ****ing kidding me???)

Houston (meh)

Kansas City (already failed there once)

Oklahoma City (that's in Oklahoma, right?)

Then there's old Quebec, which is the only logical choice, as there is already a fan base and a new arena.

Watch them get screwed again.
    The NHL trying to force hockey to be a "national" sport instead of it's traditional regional sport has killed the charm the sport had. Team in Quebec? Hartford? Winnipeg? That's fun.

There's certainly remnants of that with the western Canada teams and even Buffalo. But overall, that charm is gone.

Salt lake City might be fun like that because they only have the Jazz. But bettmans vision killed the old NHL and while it may get them more money, it certainly hasn't made the league better.

14. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-23-2024),OpIv37 (04-24-2024),TheConsigliere (04-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The NHL trying to force hockey to be a "national" sport instead of it's traditional regional sport has killed the charm the sport had. Team in Quebec? Hartford? Winnipeg? That's fun.

There's certainly remnants of that with the western Canada teams and even Buffalo. But overall, that charm is gone.

Salt lake City might be fun like that because they only have the Jazz. But bettmans vision killed the old NHL and while it may get them more money, it certainly hasn't made the league better.
    I always blamed Gretzky for the demise of regional hockey after he signed with LA. And then he became part owner of the Coyotes

What a sellout.

Btw, Utah did get 20,000 $100 season ticket deposits in the 1st 24 hours that they went on sale, as of earlier today. Seems like the interest is there.
    Last edited by sahlensguy; 04-19-2024 at 05:10 PM.

16. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-23-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,343 Times in 15,478 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I don't have a problem with that per se.

I have a problem with them trying to force it into the sunbelt.

I've followed hockey since the Sabres dropped the first puck.

Why?

Because when all the October and November rains froze on the baseball infields, we could put on skates and play hockey on them over Christmas break.

It was how we coped with the long winters. It was in our blood.

Now it's, Let's throw a franchise there and see if anyone shows up. If not we can always move it.

Just seems silly to me.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    I don't have a problem with that per se.

I have a problem with them trying to force it into the sunbelt.

I've followed hockey since the Sabres dropped the first puck.

Why?

Because when all the October and November rains froze on the baseball infields, we could put on skates and play hockey on them over Christmas break.

It was how we coped with the long winters. It was in our blood.

Now it's, Let's throw a franchise there and see if anyone shows up. If not we can always move it.

Just seems silly to me.
    I'm not saying you're wrong. But part of the charm of the old NHL was old barns in cold places.

But I also don't want to see two Florida teams. Or another Atlanta team. Or a team in Las Vegas or even Dallas. I know I don't have a choice in it, but that's how I feel.

Nothing that's happening now is anything I agree with outside Arizona moving. There shouldn't be a second chance for that market. Just like there shouldn't be a third chance for Atlanta

19. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Arizona = "This has to be the worst place on the continent for an NHL hockey team".

Utah = "Hold my beer...".
    Salt Lake is holding a welcoming party now for the team. 12,000 fans showed up.

It'll be fine.

https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/...2Fimg-8771.jpg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The NHL needs ro accept that hockey is regional. Once you get south of Philly, no one cares about hockey. They jump the bandwagon when the local team is doing well in DC or Carolina or Florida or Dallas but they’ll never love the game the way they love football or basketball.

Nashville and Vegas are the exceptions, but Vegas had the advantage of being the only major league sport in town. They have the NBA in season tourney, football, and soon baseball, so I suspect the lustre will wear off as soon as they have a **** season while the Raiders make the playoffs.

Point is, the NHL is gonna do better with a small but devoted market in a place like Quebec then by trying to force a team into a more populated area in the ****ing swamp or desert. Their market is the northern US, Canada, and Northern Europe. And Russia.

22. Post thanked by:

TheConsigliere (04-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

There are over 20,000 deposits for season tickets. The deposit is only $100, so we'll see, but considering this acquisition happened only a week ago, with minimal buildup, it's a great start.

They are going to do an elimination bracket to vote for the name of the team. The Blizzard is the odds on favorite. I'd be good with that. We'd then have the Blizz and the Jazz. Just don't call us the Dairy Queens.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    There are over 20,000 deposits for season tickets. The deposit is only $100, so we'll see, but considering this acquisition happened only a week ago, with minimal buildup, it's a great start.

They are going to do an elimination bracket to vote for the name of the team. The Blizzard is the odds on favorite. I'd be good with that. We'd then have the Blizz and the Jazz. Just don't call us the Dairy Queens.
    I mean, SLC is not what I would consider a traditional hockey market but it is infinitely better than ****ing Arizona.

Does SLC get blizzards though?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I mean, SLC is not what I would consider a traditional hockey market but it is infinitely better than ****ing Arizona.

Does SLC get blizzards though?
    "Greatest snow on earth".

Deepest snow at ski resorts in the lower 48 this season

2002 and 2034 soon to be announced winter Olympics.

Yeah, I'd say Utah and Salt Lake City get blizzards.

More blizzards than yetis - another favorite contending name.

26. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-25-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

If you mention Gary Batman’s name in Quebec City they will spit on your poutine.

28. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-25-2024)