A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JATMtheJATM
    • Aug 2012

Re: A tradition unlike any other: coyotes relocation rumors are back!

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    I don't know what kind of a market Salt Lake will be, but I'm hopeful.

What grinds at me, is that they're talking expansion yet again, and the cities listed are an abomination.

Phoenix (Oye!)

Atlanta (Are you ****ing kidding me???)

Houston (meh)

Kansas City (already failed there once)

Oklahoma City (that's in Oklahoma, right?)

Then there's old Quebec, which is the only logical choice, as there is already a fan base and a new arena.

Watch them get screwed again.
    The NHL trying to force hockey to be a "national" sport instead of it's traditional regional sport has killed the charm the sport had. Team in Quebec? Hartford? Winnipeg? That's fun.

There's certainly remnants of that with the western Canada teams and even Buffalo. But overall, that charm is gone.

Salt lake City might be fun like that because they only have the Jazz. But bettmans vision killed the old NHL and while it may get them more money, it certainly hasn't made the league better.
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
      The NHL trying to force hockey to be a "national" sport instead of it's traditional regional sport has killed the charm the sport had. Team in Quebec? Hartford? Winnipeg? That's fun.

There's certainly remnants of that with the western Canada teams and even Buffalo. But overall, that charm is gone.

Salt lake City might be fun like that because they only have the Jazz. But bettmans vision killed the old NHL and while it may get them more money, it certainly hasn't made the league better.
      I always blamed Gretzky for the demise of regional hockey after he signed with LA. And then he became part owner of the Coyotes

What a sellout.

Btw, Utah did get 20,000 $100 season ticket deposits in the 1st 24 hours that they went on sale, as of earlier today. Seems like the interest is there.
      Last edited by sahlensguy; 04-19-2024, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

I don't have a problem with that per se.

I have a problem with them trying to force it into the sunbelt.

I've followed hockey since the Sabres dropped the first puck.

Why?

Because when all the October and November rains froze on the baseball infields, we could put on skates and play hockey on them over Christmas break.

It was how we coped with the long winters. It was in our blood.

Now it's, Let's throw a franchise there and see if anyone shows up. If not we can always move it.

Just seems silly to me.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          I don't have a problem with that per se.

I have a problem with them trying to force it into the sunbelt.

I've followed hockey since the Sabres dropped the first puck.

Why?

Because when all the October and November rains froze on the baseball infields, we could put on skates and play hockey on them over Christmas break.

It was how we coped with the long winters. It was in our blood.

Now it's, Let's throw a franchise there and see if anyone shows up. If not we can always move it.

Just seems silly to me.
          I'm not saying you're wrong. But part of the charm of the old NHL was old barns in cold places.

But I also don't want to see two Florida teams. Or another Atlanta team. Or a team in Las Vegas or even Dallas. I know I don't have a choice in it, but that's how I feel.

Nothing that's happening now is anything I agree with outside Arizona moving. There shouldn't be a second chance for that market. Just like there shouldn't be a third chance for Atlanta
          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
            Arizona = "This has to be the worst place on the continent for an NHL hockey team".

Utah = "Hold my beer...".
            Salt Lake is holding a welcoming party now for the team. 12,000 fans showed up.

It'll be fine.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

The NHL needs ro accept that hockey is regional. Once you get south of Philly, no one cares about hockey. They jump the bandwagon when the local team is doing well in DC or Carolina or Florida or Dallas but they’ll never love the game the way they love football or basketball.

Nashville and Vegas are the exceptions, but Vegas had the advantage of being the only major league sport in town. They have the NBA in season tourney, football, and soon baseball, so I suspect the lustre will wear off as soon as they have a **** season while the Raiders make the playoffs.

Point is, the NHL is gonna do better with a small but devoted market in a place like Quebec then by trying to force a team into a more populated area in the ****ing swamp or desert. Their market is the northern US, Canada, and Northern Europe. And Russia.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

There are over 20,000 deposits for season tickets. The deposit is only $100, so we'll see, but considering this acquisition happened only a week ago, with minimal buildup, it's a great start.

They are going to do an elimination bracket to vote for the name of the team. The Blizzard is the odds on favorite. I'd be good with that. We'd then have the Blizz and the Jazz. Just don't call us the Dairy Queens.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                  There are over 20,000 deposits for season tickets. The deposit is only $100, so we'll see, but considering this acquisition happened only a week ago, with minimal buildup, it's a great start.

They are going to do an elimination bracket to vote for the name of the team. The Blizzard is the odds on favorite. I'd be good with that. We'd then have the Blizz and the Jazz. Just don't call us the Dairy Queens.
                  I mean, SLC is not what I would consider a traditional hockey market but it is infinitely better than ****ing Arizona.

Does SLC get blizzards though?
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                    I mean, SLC is not what I would consider a traditional hockey market but it is infinitely better than ****ing Arizona.

Does SLC get blizzards though?
                    "Greatest snow on earth".

Deepest snow at ski resorts in the lower 48 this season

2002 and 2034 soon to be announced winter Olympics.

Yeah, I'd say Utah and Salt Lake City get blizzards.

More blizzards than yetis - another favorite contending name.

Comment

• TheConsigliere
                      • Aug 2022

If you mention Gary Batman’s name in Quebec City they will spit on your poutine.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by TheConsigliere View Post
                        If you mention Gary Batman’s name in Quebec City they will spit on your poutine.
                        Mention Gary Bestman in Utah and they will toast with non alcoholic jello shots.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                          • Aug 2012

I'm very happy to see the team move from Arizona to SLC. And I'm excited to see how the team builds and brands it's self over the summer. I do wonder if there are any players behind the scenes not keen on the move, but that's not anything to worry about for now
                          Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

I'm very happy to see the team move from Arizona to SLC. And I'm excited to see how the team builds and brands it's self over the summer. I do wonder if there are any players behind the scenes not keen on the move, but that's not anything to worry about for now
                            It's nature over "culture" here.

NBA players hate it.

NHL players are different. They know pond hockey. They will give it a chance, imo.

But yeah, people like living in Phoenix. Especially during the months of hockey season
                            Last edited by sahlensguy; 04-25-2024, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• JATMtheJATM
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                              It's nature over "culture" here.

NBA players hate it.

NHL players are different. They know pond hockey. They will give it a chance, imo.

But yeah, people like living in Phoenix. Especially during the months of hockey season
                              I mean. The idea of being a snowbird myself already sounds amazing.
                              Flag of Ukraine.svg

Comment

Working...
                              X