• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

With the 28th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft

Cooper DeJean, DB (Iowa)

I know this seems odd on the surface, and you’re probably mad this isn’t one of the multitude of first-round wide receivers that have been recycled over and over to the Bills in recent mock drafts, but DeJean does make sense if the draft board breaks a certain way and he falls.

As noted above, there are no long-term commitments to the safety room for Buffalo. Additionally, only Taron Johnson, Benford, and Elam are signed beyond this year in the cornerback room, with no signs Elam can hold up with any kind of consistency as a starter.

2024 NFL Mock Draft- Defensive chess piece falls into Bills’ lap in Round 1 - Buffalo Rumblings

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: With the 28th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft

The Iowa Hawkeyes weren’t easy on the eyes over the last couple of seasons, with one of the most brutal-looking college offenses you’ll ever see. Despite the lethargy on one side of the ball, the Hawkeyes managed to keep weaseling their way into the top 25 of the college football polls week in and week out. But how?

Cooper DeJean is how. He did everything and more for Iowa the last two seasons and had the opportunity to line up all over the field — from slot, to safety, outside corner, and even linebacker. DeJean played all of those positions at a very high level. Instincts and ball-winning tendencies will allow him to align anywhere in the secondary for whatever team that chooses him, while trusting he’ll instantly be one of the most trusted tacklers on the team from day one.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mad Max
      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
      • Mar 2003

That would be very Bills-like to take a DB in the first now wouldn’t it.

Let’s hope they break with that particular tradition.

Comment

• kgun12
        • Jul 2002

I love this kids versatility and it’s not a bad pick, but this pick would mean there wasn’t a WR the Bills liked. This would be where trading back would make sense to me.
        Retired Air Traffic Controller
        USAF VETERAN
        DAV

Comment

• Chet
          Allenhu Joshbar
          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
          That would be very Bills-like to take a DB in the first now wouldn’t it.

Let’s hope they break with that particular tradition.
          First we’d give up draft capital to move up 1-2 spots to select a CB who should’ve been a Day 2 pick.

In all seriousness, if we draft a CB with our first rounder than **** this team.

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Chet View Post
            First we’d give up draft capital to move up 1-2 spots to select a CB who should’ve been a Day 2 pick.

In all seriousness, if we draft a CB with our first rounder than **** this team.
            I don’t know if we’ve ever had a highly drafted DB that we even gave a second contract to other than Mushmouth Mckelvin.

They should avoid that position like the plague with first round capital.

I generally speaking wouldn’t draft the position in the first round ever except as a finishing move, never as a foundational one.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

I don't think DeJean makes it to 28, imho he's a top 20 player, I think Beane is trading up for Wr.

That said if they take a db this is the one I want...as a safety. Has dominant ceiling ala Ed Reed and Eric Weddle floor imho.

If they do this, I'm great with it and it means Beane moves up big in the 2nd with his eye on someone particular.

Don't think it happens tho.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

We draft 28th I anything could happen ...... but this kid would be a value at 28.

If a WR that we liked dropped enough we'd probably go that route.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                  I love this kids versatility and it’s not a bad pick, but this pick would mean there wasn’t a WR the Bills liked. This would be where trading back would make sense to me.
                  I like this guy myself and if the right loaf of bread isn't on the shelf ..... go for it.

Comment

• Woodman
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                    I don't think DeJean makes it to 28, imho he's a top 20 player, I think Beane is trading up for Wr.

That said if they take a db this is the one I want...as a safety. Has dominant ceiling ala Ed Reed and Eric Weddle floor imho.

If they do this, I'm great with it and it means Beane moves up big in the 2nd with his eye on someone particular.

Don't think it happens tho.
                    I agree he's going top 20.

Comment

• sukie
                      Seriously?
                      • Sep 2012

I don’t know if we’ve ever had a highly drafted DB that we even gave a second contract to other than Mushmouth Mckelvin.

I generally speaking wouldn’t draft the position in the first round ever except as a finishing move, never as a foundational one.
                      I remember hearing Leodis McKelvin and my jaw dropped. Wasn’t that the Brady Quinn year?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                        The Iowa Hawkeyes weren’t easy on the eyes over the last couple of seasons, with one of the most brutal-looking college offenses you’ll ever see. Despite the lethargy on one side of the ball, the Hawkeyes managed to keep weaseling their way into the top 25 of the college football polls week in and week out. But how?

Cooper DeJean is how. He did everything and more for Iowa the last two seasons and had the opportunity to line up all over the field — from slot, to safety, outside corner, and even linebacker. DeJean played all of those positions at a very high level. Instincts and ball-winning tendencies will allow him to align anywhere in the secondary for whatever team that chooses him, while trusting he’ll instantly be one of the most trusted tacklers on the team from day one.
                        he's only 21 so there's a lot of tread left on Cooper's tires. Personally I think Dejean could cut the mustard.

Comment

• Mad Max
                          Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                          I remember hearing Leodis McKelvin and my jaw dropped. Wasn’t that the Brady Quinn year?
                          At least you have a jaw, I don’t know if mush mouth does.

Brady Quinn was the year before. Mush mouth was in the Vernon Gholston draft 2008.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                            Personally I think Dejean could cut the mustard.
                            Is he hot dog enough is the question.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

How soon we forget Tre'?
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X