Thread: Don't want to beat it to death, but a well balanced national view on Diggs trade

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,509 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't want to beat it to death, but a well balanced national view on Diggs trade

Not really earth shattering but very well reasoned opinion from Breer which is probably backed by his sources. Not the kind of singleton view from the national media the last week and half.

The first mini era of Beane and McDermott is over. I'll add they were not really good enough to challenge the Chiefs during that time. The best outcome from the era is finding and developing Allen.

Clean slate for the new era, younger players and the accounting book. I watched the Bills official website of players coming in for workout. on offense, I see Allen and Dawkins. That's about it the familiar faces. Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir are the next crop.

And without saying, the draft is important. We need to do it right. Breer cited Rams made playoff in a reset year. I'll add the Chiefs won the Superbowl in a supposedly re-charge year. Looking back now, the draft propelled both.

2. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-16-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,948 Times in 3,500 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Don't want to beat it to death, but a well balanced national view on Diggs trade

Sounds about right to me. The Bills need to get younger/cheaper, not a news flash. The fact that Diggs can be annoying was probably a factor but not the biggest one. I never bought the whole "Diggs is a cancer that they had to move no matter what" narrative a lot of guys here have been selling.

4. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,432 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Don't want to beat it to death, but a well balanced national view on Diggs trade

I think they saw the 2nd half of the season that Diggs was not going to put up big #'s in Brady's system and they decided to get all his money off the books this year. Him being a pain in the ass made it an easier decision to make.

6. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,198 Times in 5,923 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They got a second in return… they weren’t getting a second next offseason.

8. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (04-16-2024),kgun12 (04-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,619 Times in 6,169 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    They got a second in return… they weren’t getting a second next offseason.
    If the Vikings have a horrible season that two is like a late one.
    FSU WR K. Coleman #33
    Utah DB C. Bishop #60
    Duke DT D. Carter #95
    Kentucky RB R.Davis #128
    Georgia C S.VanPran-Granger #141
    Washington LB Edefuan Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE J.Solomon #168
    UCF OT T.Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB D.Hardy #219
    England OT T.Clayton #221

10. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-15-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It was time.

12. Post thanked by:

cookie G (04-16-2024),kgun12 (04-15-2024),Novacane (04-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 3,577 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    If the Vikings have a horrible season that two is like a late one.
    Vikings?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    Vikings?
    Houston had the Vikings 2nd that's the pick we traded for .... not the Texans 2nd which will be a much later pick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

​The Bills will receive a 2025 second-round pick (via the Minnesota Vikings) in exchange for Diggs, a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2025 fifth-round pick. IMO that's almost a 1st round pick .... Vikings should suck royal this year.

Bills trade Stefon Diggs to Texans for 2025 second-round pick

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Houston had the Vikings 2nd that's the pick we traded for .... not the Texans 2nd which will be a much later pick.
    Thanks. I figured it out a bit after I posted and couldn't edit.

And the Vikings will have a terrible season. They have no QB and have the Packers and Lions in their division.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks. I figured it out a bit after I posted and couldn't edit.

And the Vikings will have a terrible season. They have no QB and have the Packers and Lions in their division.
    A nice top 5 pick would be great ..... that would be 37 .... my guess the Texans will be drafting near 60th.

The trade keeps looking better and better.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

A nice top 5 pick would be great ..... that would be 37 .... my guess the Texans will be drafting near 60th.

The trade keeps looking better and better.
    I only wish it had been for a 2nd this year. A year from now makes it more like a 3rd rounder.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I never bought into the notion a pick this year is equivalent to a pick a round later. I understand that in a trade market, cashing a pick now has more value than cashing a pick a year later, especially in a business where job security changes on a yearly basis, but from a franchise perspective, a higher pick should always be more valuable.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I never bought into the notion a pick this year is equivalent to a pick a round later. I understand that in a trade market, cashing a pick now has more value than cashing a pick a year later, especially in a business where job security changes on a yearly basis, but from a franchise perspective, a higher pick should always be more valuable.
    We will reap the benefits of it soon enough who know's maybe just a couple days away if we use it to move up this year

The 2nd rounder next year has some nice value .... I'd love to keep it however if it gets us up for somebody we really want by all means use that capital next week.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's akin to the time value of money.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's akin to the time value of money.
    Not quite. Money over time buys less due to inflation. A second round pick regardless year allows you to pick a player within top 64, assuming no expansion.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not quite. Money over time buys less due to inflation. A second round pick regardless year allows you to pick a player within top 64, assuming no expansion.
    That's making my point. Money today is worth more than money in the future.

24. Post thanked by:

Mad Max (04-16-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

That's making my point. Money today is worth more than money in the future.
    Aside from inflation you can use the “money” to make you more money if you had it right now as opposed to in the future.

26. Post thanked by:

Goobylal (04-16-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,720 Times in 7,773 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Not really earth shattering but very well reasoned opinion from Breer which is probably backed by his sources. Not the kind of singleton view from the national media the last week and half.

The first mini era of Beane and McDermott is over. I'll add they were not really good enough to challenge the Chiefs during that time. The best outcome from the era is finding and developing Allen.

Clean slate for the new era, younger players and the accounting book. I watched the Bills official website of players coming in for workout. on offense, I see Allen and Dawkins. That's about it the familiar faces. Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir are the next crop.

And without saying, the draft is important. We need to do it right. Breer cited Rams made playoff in a reset year. I'll add the Chiefs won the Superbowl in a supposedly re-charge year. Looking back now, the draft propelled both.

Thanks for this. I respect Albert Breer.

He's right. It was time.

I strongly suspect that (maybe even as early as the 2024 playoffs) this move will be seen as exactly what the Bills needed and will help propel them, and Josh Allen, to the next level.