Thread: McDavid becomes 4th player to hit 100 assists in a season. Kucherov right behind.

Buckle me in on the highway of sin mightysimi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,030 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

McDavid becomes 4th player to hit 100 assists in a season. Kucherov right behind.

McDavid did it last night making him just the 4th player in history to do it. Kucherov should get an apple in the next few games to make him the 5th. The list is now:

Orr - 1
    Lemieux - 1
    McDavid - 1
    Kucherov - 1* (probably)
    Gretzky - 11

Breaking stats down really shows how ridiculous Gretzky was.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,314 Times in 13,736 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: McDavid becomes 4th player to hit 100 assists in a season. Kucherov right behind

It’ll be a sad day for hockey if that POS Ovechkin breaks Gretzsky’s goal record.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,432 Times in 7,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: McDavid becomes 4th player to hit 100 assists in a season. Kucherov right behind

I wonder if we'd of ruined McDavid if we'd have won the lottery that year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    It’ll be a sad day for hockey if that POS Ovechkin breaks Gretzsky’s goal record.
    He will. They will roll his corpse out there and bank em in off him to do it.

5. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-17-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Kucherov does it! Now 5 to the list. Super impressive

Thanks
    Thanked 16,509 Times in 12,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mightysimi View Post
    McDavid did it last night making him just the 4th player in history to do it. Kucherov should get an apple in the next few games to make him the 5th. The list is now:

Orr - 1
    Lemieux - 1
    McDavid - 1
    Kucherov - 1* (probably)
    Gretzky - 11

Breaking stats down really shows how ridiculous Gretzky was.
    In fairness, Gretzky was at his height before the goaltending position evolved. Like, you look at those mid 80s goalies, and they were plumbers during the workday. (Not literally)

Watching those goalies is an exhibit of terrible, with a few exceptions. And of course, that's not his fault. Just the game has changed big time
    Flag of Ukraine.svg

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by JATMtheJATM View Post
    In fairness, Gretzky was at his height before the goaltending position evolved. Like, you look at those mid 80s goalies, and they were plumbers during the workday. (Not literally)

Watching those goalies is an exhibit of terrible, with a few exceptions. And of course, that's not his fault. Just the game has changed big time
    The problem with that argument is everyone would have been capable of doing it. The tenders were worse, so were the defensive systems or lack their of but the playing field was the same for everyone in that day and age and only one was doing what Wayne was doing. Offensive schemes now are better than ever with analytics and tendency tracking so I do think someone who could pass through the eye of a needle across 2 zones would still be very, very effective.

We are celebrating the chase for 70 goals from Matthews and 100 assists from Kuch and McJesus but Gretzky did both 4 years in a row. No one else is even close.

Gretzky still had almost a point per game at 39 in the height of the clutch and grab era.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

The problem with that argument is everyone would have been capable of doing it. The tenders were worse, so were the defensive systems or lack their of but the playing field was the same for everyone in that day and age and only one was doing what Wayne was doing. Offensive schemes now are better than ever with analytics and tendency tracking so I do think someone who could pass through the eye of a needle across 2 zones would still be very, very effective.

We are celebrating the chase for 70 goals from Matthews and 100 assists from Kuch and McJesus but Gretzky did both 4 years in a row. No one else is even close.

Gretzky still had almost a point per game at 39 in the height of the clutch and grab era.
    Oh, for sure. I don't disagree gretz was... Well. Amazing.

I still think Mario was better though

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not only that, for the more recent guys like Ovechkin, they’ve been constantly changing rules to increase offense. They got rid of the two line pass, more holding penalties called, 4 on 4 then 3 on 3 OT, etc.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He will. They will roll his corpse out there and bank em in off him to do it.
    Most records get broken at some point. As great as Gretzsky was, with the increased scoring and crazy analytics, it was going to happen eventually. I just still really hope it’s not Ovechkin. It’s really disgusting how the league let him be a thug for so many years.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Most records get broken at some point. As great as Gretzsky was, with the increased scoring and crazy analytics, it was going to happen eventually. I just still really hope it’s not Ovechkin. It’s really disgusting how the league let him be a thug for so many years.
    Scoring has decreased since the Gretzky prime era. Makes ovies scoring ability extremely impressive

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Scoring has decreased since the Gretzky prime era. Makes ovies scoring ability extremely impressive
    I think a lot of it had to do with how teams play him. Not so much now, but in his younger days, I saw him score so many goals where he’d enter the zone with two defenders back and neither would challenge him. They’d try to position themselves between him and the goal but gave him way too much space to shoot. Sometimes they even almost screened their own goalie. It’s like the defenders were afraid to challenge him.

And their PP would be comical if it wasn’t so effective. Ovie is a RH shot so he just stands by the left dasher board and watches everyone else play 4 on 4 until a shooting lane opens up. It’s cherry picking. I can’t believe that they’ve been doing it for 20 years and no coach can figure out how to stop it.

And beyond all tbat, he’s still a thug that the league refused to discipline because he makes them so much money.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

In his youth, he also had the wheels to take them wide so probably why they were hesitant.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh, for sure. I don't disagree gretz was... Well. Amazing.

I still think Mario was better though
    They played in the same era. How do you say someone with less production in the same era is better? Points per game are a telling stat with this. Gretzky is higher with more games played. 0.04 points per game higher with over 500 more games played.

Gretzky got injured too. He was not the same player after Suter in the Canada Cup in 91.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

They played in the same era. How do you say someone with less production in the same era is better? Points per game are a telling stat with this. Gretzky is higher with more games played. 0.04 points per game higher with over 500 more games played.

Gretzky got injured too. He was not the same player after Suter in the Canada Cup in 91.
    When I watch clips of both, I just see more skill and creativity with Mario. But also, Mario came into the league several seasons after Gretzky and played beyond Gretzky so I think Mario spent more seasons and more prime seasons in the dead puck era. I just would take Mario.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

When I watch clips of both, I just see more skill and creativity with Mario. But also, Mario came into the league several seasons after Gretzky and played beyond Gretzky so I think Mario spent more seasons and more prime seasons in the dead puck era. I just would take Mario.
    the goalies got awesome in 85?

2 Season's worth of games and 230 points past when Gretzky retired. I guess that's a lot but not when the guy being compared to him had 4 200 point seasons.

I think you are crazy. Maybe the highlight packages don't show the dominance.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

the goalies got awesome in 85?

2 Season's worth of games and 230 points past when Gretzky retired. I guess that's a lot but not when the guy being compared to him had 4 200 point seasons.

I think you are crazy. Maybe the highlight packages don't show the dominance.
    Roy came into the league around that time. The goaltending got better as goalies got faster and more athletic and changed techniques. It didn't happen over night, but it really started around that time period.

I dunno, man. I just think if we aren't allowed to include goalies in BPE discussions, I go with Mario.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Roy came into the league around that time. The goaltending got better as goalies got faster and more athletic and changed techniques. It didn't happen over night, but it really started around that time period.

I dunno, man. I just think if we aren't allowed to include goalies in BPE discussions, I go with Mario.
    85-96 points Lemieux - 881
    85-96 points Gretzky - 1583

Almost double. I still think you are crazy.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

85-96 points Lemieux - 881
    85-96 points Gretzky - 1583

Almost double. I still think you are crazy.
    How many games played? I wasn't aware of such a discrepancy

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many games played? I wasn't aware of such a discrepancy
    669 for Lemieux
    780 for Gretzky

So about 1.5 seasons worth of games difference between the 2.

22. Post thanked by:

JATMtheJATM (04-19-2024)