Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We don’t need a number one receiver…says Beanie Baby

Thanks
    Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,515 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: We don’t need a number one receiver…says Beanie Baby

If you look Diggs 2nd year stats in nfl: 84 catches on 112 targets. Shakir 2nd year 39 catches on something like 43 targets. Not saying shakir will be Diggs. But something to watch, especially next year that he may step into a role that opponents may put #1 cb on him.

Right now though, I still bet Shakir is not getting 100 targets in 2024. Kincaid is odds on favorite to get that. But you never know if Shakir will force Brady’s hand by having a Diggs like breakout season which is not uncommon for wr on year 3

Thanks
    Thanked 5,393 Times in 3,863 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It doesn't matter what you get with your picks but don't whiff.

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The lack of a dependable #1 target has held this team back and Josh as well. He’s never had a guy he can just throw it up to and let him go make a play. Bring him that and you will see this offense reinvent itself, don’t and you will see the definition of insanity play out.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

4. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-20-2024),TacklingDummy (04-20-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    The lack of a dependable #1 target has held this team back and Josh as well. He’s never had a guy he can just throw it up to and let him go make a play. Bring him that and you will see this offense reinvent itself, don’t and you will see the definition of insanity play out.
    I don't see it. Josh doesn't throw that kind of ball imo.

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,928 Times in 4,377 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Josh does throw alot of balls imto tight coverage. Some would say up for grabs.

To me it always seems like he fits the ball right in there and the reciever gets tackled almost immediately.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Josh does throw alot of balls imto tight coverage. Some would say up for grabs.

I think we are seeing close to the same thing. To me it always seems like he fits the ball right in there and the reciever gets tackled almost immediately.
    I think we are saying close to the same thing. I see when he throws it up, it's more of a reckless, low percentage throw than to a spot where the receiver can outmaneuver the coverage to go get it without a high risk of an int.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Every team wants a true #1. Who doesn’t want a Randy Moss even with some baggage? My point is don’t simply chase that guy. If you have a non prototypical #1 receiver ranked significantly higher, don’t take that one

9. Post thanked by:

GreedoII (04-20-2024),kgun12 (04-20-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Every team wants a true #1. Who doesn’t want a Randy Moss even with some baggage? My point is don’t simply chase that guy. If you have a non prototypical #1 receiver ranked significantly higher, don’t take that one
    Don't try to hit the home run with the draft pick. Get a ground rule double and don't whiff

11. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-20-2024),kgun12 (04-20-2024),Lone Stranger (04-20-2024),YardRat (04-20-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,384 Times in 15,507 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Don't try to hit the home run with the draft pick. Get a ground rule double and don't whiff
    I like the philosophy Sahlens.

The Watkins and Tuttle moves scare the heck out of me.

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

I'm sure he will do right by us.

13. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-20-2024),Lone Stranger (04-20-2024),sahlensguy (04-20-2024),TacklingDummy (04-21-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I do want a home run guy. But there are different home run guys from different positions. Don’t zero in on the 1st base position and say we must get a home run guy there. The chiefs proved that over and over

15. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

Totally agree with this, drafting is a major risk to start. Too many players just can’t and don’t live up to their hype! I’d rather have more draft picks in the middle rounds and not waste a brunch like you said “trying to force” things.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

17. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-20-2024),Lone Stranger (04-20-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Beane is a bright guy.

No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.

19. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-20-2024),Jeff1220 (04-22-2024),Lone Stranger (04-20-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,908 Times in 4,026 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Which I interpret as having enough talent at several positions that the "#1 WR" is going to be different guys, at different times. Kincaid could be "#1" one week...Shakir for a half...Cook for a drive...depending on what the defense is giving you.
    Well you could interpret it that way, but that's not what he meant. There are a few teams that have 2 legit No. 1's. Of courze there aren't too many of them.

San Fran with Deebo and now Ayuk (at present);
    Tampa
    Miami
    Philly
    The Chargers did with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams

Again, he said "ideally" or a word to that effect.

I think some people find some encouragement in how the offense performed the last half of last season when Diggs was "absent".
    Im sure there are...to an extent I am too. They began to run the ball more effectively and cut down on the turnovers. The D played lights out.

But keep in mind, in the last 6 games, including the playoffs, they passed for less than 200 yards in 4 of those games, and in a 5th game, they barely squeaked past 200 yards.

Not sure if they can sustain that for a full season, esp. a rebuild on defense and teams getting a sneak peek at the Bills playbook this year.

Yeah me either, because he hasn't. He's stagnated the last couple (few?) years, actually. Looking through rose-colored glasses maybe in hindsight we can claim Diggs actually stunted Allen's growth to a certain extent because of his insistence on being the "#1" and the QB will finally show some more growth.
    Yeah those would be pretty rose colored glasses. I know its fashionable to slam on Diggs and let it slop over to his whole career here. But Josh was pretty accurate when he said, "he helped me become the QB I am today."

I caught Kurt Warner last night talking about the situation, and he just laughed a bit and said something like "yeah, he needs someone". He went on about talking about having that guy you can rely upon to get open and catch the ball. Ofc, when his career was at its best, he had at least 2.

Stl- Bruce and Holt (with huge contributions from Faulk and Akim);
    Zona- Fitz and Boldin

For 3 1/2 years, Josh had that with Diggs. Does Kincaid, Shakir or Samuel now fill that role? Idk. I hope so.

I don't think anybody is claiming we couldn't use a talented receiver in the draft or we shouldn't use our first on one, IMO it's more "we don't need a guy to build the passing game around at wide receiver because we already have the QB to do that".
    I don't see it as "building the passing game around" as much as giving the passing game something it hasn't had for a while, a bona fide deep threat.

I like who they have at WR now, but they are really in the short to mid range areas of the field.

Right now, there are 3 guys within reach (at 28 or possibly a small trade up) that have the size/speed/hands/ability to get open deep/other factors:

Thomas
    Mitchell
    Legette

there are others with speed, but many of them are more of underneath targets.

Why its important:

-most obvious, you have a QB with a cannon for an arm who loves, in face needs, to throw the ball deep at times.
    -because of that, you need a legit target
    -it doesn't mean you have to chuck the ball deep constantly. Most teams play the BIlls in a two deep zone now. With that legit deep target, you are most likely going to draw one of the safeties away from the middle of the field, opening things up for the group of talented underneath/mid route guys, bot h in their route and the ability to take off after the catch.

Anyhoo...after all that, I found it interesting that Josh texted Beane 2 words last year during the 1st round "Dalton Kincaid". Josh even made a Draft Day reference when he talked about it.

So this year, he only types 1 word "Xavier".

Beane looks at it, shows it to McD, and says, "who does he mean? Xavier Legette or Xavier Worthy?

McD says "I know who he meant, and write down a name"

With 28th pick of the 2024 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Xavier Thomas, Edge, CLemson.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Huh? He throws that kind of a ball all the time.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.
    Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,096 Times in 4,286 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.
    What draft picks didnt pan out??

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,606 Times in 17,476 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No I can honestly say I did not, and that's not to undermine all of his abilities, honestly.
    IMO, he was average size, better than average speed. When I think of true number 1s, I think of guys like..... DK Metcalf, Eric Moulds, TO as a Niner, Irvin, guys like that.

As a matter of fact, I went through every draft since the merger and ranked where I thought the Bills receivers are:

Some "true #1s" in Bills history, IMHO:

Eric Moulds

Frank Lewis

Andre Reed

Jerry Butler

Haven Moses

Bills True #2s:

Bob Chandler

Marlin Briscoe

Stefon Diggs

Chris Burkett

James Lofton (a true #1 as a Packer)

TO (#1 as a 49er)

Quinn Early

Byron Franklin

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Stevie Johnson

Sammie Watkins

Bills "True 3rds" IMO:

Mark Mosely

Robert Woods

Josh Reed

Ron Jesse

Lou Piccone

Steve Tasker

John Holland

Don Beebe

Russell Copeland

Justin Armour

Robert Holt

Marquise Goodwin

Zay Jones

Ray Ray McCloud

Roscoe Parrish

Gabe Davis

Kalil Shakir

Cole Beasley

Al Edwards

Billy Brooks

JD Hill

Absolute Garbage

Bernard Ford

Julius Dawkins

Mitchell Brookins

Kamil Loud

Avion Black

Walter Broughton

Brad Lamb

Drew Hadad

Sam Aiken

Eric Richardson

Perry Tuttle

Jimmy Teal

Reggie Bynam

Justin Shorter

Chris Walsh

Kwame Cavil

John Kimborough

James Hardy

Marcus Easley

TJ Graham

Danny Fulton
    There's an awful lot there to debate, but most glaringly putting somebody who barely saw the field in offensive sets like Mike Mosley with Woods, Reed, Piccone, etc is an insult to the other guys.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    What draft picks didnt pan out??
    Elam, Zay, Edmunds, Ford, Epenesa, and Moss if were just talking about 1st through 3rd rounders.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.
    I didn’t say the draft pick had to be the big splash, just that he needed one. I can absolutely see Beane thinking we’re close and going all in to try and get Nabers. I wouldn’t like it, but it fits his mentality.