• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgun12
    • Jul 2002

Re: We don’t need a number one receiver…says Beanie Baby

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    I like the philosophy Sahlens.

The Watkins and Tuttle moves scare the heck out of me.

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

I'm sure he will do right by us.
    Totally agree with this, drafting is a major risk to start. Too many players just can’t and don’t live up to their hype! I’d rather have more draft picks in the middle rounds and not waste a brunch like you said “trying to force” things.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

I like the philosophy Sahlens.

The Watkins and Tuttle moves scare the heck out of me.

Depending on how the first round plays out, make a small move if you think a solid number 1 WR will drop down to 17...20...22, etc.

Trying to force your way into the top 10 or 12 is just too risky for a team that has a few holes and limited cap space.

Beane is a bright guy.

I'm sure he will do right by us.
      No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.

Comment

• cookie G
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        Which I interpret as having enough talent at several positions that the "#1 WR" is going to be different guys, at different times. Kincaid could be "#1" one week...Shakir for a half...Cook for a drive...depending on what the defense is giving you.
        Well you could interpret it that way, but that's not what he meant. There are a few teams that have 2 legit No. 1's. Of courze there aren't too many of them.

San Fran with Deebo and now Ayuk (at present);
        Tampa
        Miami
        Philly
        The Chargers did with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams

Again, he said "ideally" or a word to that effect.

I think some people find some encouragement in how the offense performed the last half of last season when Diggs was "absent".
        Im sure there are...to an extent I am too. They began to run the ball more effectively and cut down on the turnovers. The D played lights out.

But keep in mind, in the last 6 games, including the playoffs, they passed for less than 200 yards in 4 of those games, and in a 5th game, they barely squeaked past 200 yards.

Not sure if they can sustain that for a full season, esp. a rebuild on defense and teams getting a sneak peek at the Bills playbook this year.

Yeah me either, because he hasn't. He's stagnated the last couple (few?) years, actually. Looking through rose-colored glasses maybe in hindsight we can claim Diggs actually stunted Allen's growth to a certain extent because of his insistence on being the "#1" and the QB will finally show some more growth.
        Yeah those would be pretty rose colored glasses. I know its fashionable to slam on Diggs and let it slop over to his whole career here. But Josh was pretty accurate when he said, "he helped me become the QB I am today."

I caught Kurt Warner last night talking about the situation, and he just laughed a bit and said something like "yeah, he needs someone". He went on about talking about having that guy you can rely upon to get open and catch the ball. Ofc, when his career was at its best, he had at least 2.

Stl- Bruce and Holt (with huge contributions from Faulk and Akim);
        Zona- Fitz and Boldin

For 3 1/2 years, Josh had that with Diggs. Does Kincaid, Shakir or Samuel now fill that role? Idk. I hope so.

I don't think anybody is claiming we couldn't use a talented receiver in the draft or we shouldn't use our first on one, IMO it's more "we don't need a guy to build the passing game around at wide receiver because we already have the QB to do that".
        I don't see it as "building the passing game around" as much as giving the passing game something it hasn't had for a while, a bona fide deep threat.

I like who they have at WR now, but they are really in the short to mid range areas of the field.

Right now, there are 3 guys within reach (at 28 or possibly a small trade up) that have the size/speed/hands/ability to get open deep/other factors:

Thomas
        Mitchell
        Legette

there are others with speed, but many of them are more of underneath targets.

Why its important:

-most obvious, you have a QB with a cannon for an arm who loves, in face needs, to throw the ball deep at times.
        -because of that, you need a legit target
        -it doesn't mean you have to chuck the ball deep constantly. Most teams play the BIlls in a two deep zone now. With that legit deep target, you are most likely going to draw one of the safeties away from the middle of the field, opening things up for the group of talented underneath/mid route guys, bot h in their route and the ability to take off after the catch.

Anyhoo...after all that, I found it interesting that Josh texted Beane 2 words last year during the 1st round "Dalton Kincaid". Josh even made a Draft Day reference when he talked about it.

So this year, he only types 1 word "Xavier".

Beane looks at it, shows it to McD, and says, "who does he mean? Xavier Legette or Xavier Worthy?

McD says "I know who he meant, and write down a name"

With 28th pick of the 2024 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select...

Xavier Thomas, Edge, CLemson.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
          I don't see it. Josh doesn't throw that kind of ball imo.
          Huh? He throws that kind of a ball all the time.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

No need for Beane to make a splash. He already has the QB who can put the team on his back and win it all. If Beane just drafts enough players who fit the system we'll be fine. We might even hit on another star or two.
            Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.
            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              Beane does need a splash after his last few moves didn’t pan out. He’s feeling some heat and while his job likely isn’t in jeopardy yet if the Bills slip or miss the playoffs then he’ll be on the hot seat while McDermott is gone. They both need to make a big move.

They can’t allow this team to go into next season without significant improvement that they can sell to the owners and fan base. Any step back would be a disaster.
              What draft picks didnt pan out??

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

No I can honestly say I did not, and that's not to undermine all of his abilities, honestly.
                  IMO, he was average size, better than average speed. When I think of true number 1s, I think of guys like..... DK Metcalf, Eric Moulds, TO as a Niner, Irvin, guys like that.

As a matter of fact, I went through every draft since the merger and ranked where I thought the Bills receivers are:

Some "true #1s" in Bills history, IMHO:

Eric Moulds

Frank Lewis

Andre Reed

Jerry Butler

Haven Moses

Bills True #2s:

Bob Chandler

Marlin Briscoe

Stefon Diggs

Chris Burkett

James Lofton (a true #1 as a Packer)

TO (#1 as a 49er)

Quinn Early

Byron Franklin

Lee Evans

Peerless Price

Stevie Johnson

Sammie Watkins

Bills "True 3rds" IMO:

Mark Mosely

Robert Woods

Josh Reed

Ron Jesse

Lou Piccone

Steve Tasker

John Holland

Don Beebe

Russell Copeland

Justin Armour

Robert Holt

Marquise Goodwin

Zay Jones

Ray Ray McCloud

Roscoe Parrish

Gabe Davis

Kalil Shakir

Cole Beasley

Al Edwards

Billy Brooks

JD Hill

Absolute Garbage

Bernard Ford

Julius Dawkins

Mitchell Brookins

Kamil Loud

Avion Black

Walter Broughton

Brad Lamb

Drew Hadad

Sam Aiken

Eric Richardson

Perry Tuttle

Jimmy Teal

Reggie Bynam

Justin Shorter

Chris Walsh

Kwame Cavil

John Kimborough

James Hardy

Marcus Easley

TJ Graham

Danny Fulton
                  There's an awful lot there to debate, but most glaringly putting somebody who barely saw the field in offensive sets like Mike Mosley with Woods, Reed, Piccone, etc is an insult to the other guys.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    What draft picks didnt pan out??
                    Elam, Zay, Edmunds, Ford, Epenesa, and Moss if were just talking about 1st through 3rd rounders.
                    COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

I think teams rarely make significant improvements from even the best rookies.

If Beane is feeling pressure to do so, we're in trouble.
                      I didn’t say the draft pick had to be the big splash, just that he needed one. I can absolutely see Beane thinking we’re close and going all in to try and get Nabers. I wouldn’t like it, but it fits his mentality.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

Huh? He throws that kind of a ball all the time.
                        Josh isn't the cerebral thrower with touch who throws the ball to a spot that where wr can change direction to and to where the DB can not. Josh is a power thrower. Aaron Rodgers he is not.

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

I didn’t say the draft pick had to be the big splash, just that he needed one. I can absolutely see Beane thinking we’re close and going all in to try and get Nabers. I wouldn’t like it, but it fits his mentality.
                          Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                            Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.
                            Wow that would cost us a ton .... never put nothing past Beaner.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• kgun12
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                              Wow that would cost us a ton .... never put nothing past Beaner.
                              Way too much and we need to fill more that a few other positions, at least for quality depth!
                              USAF VETERAN
                              DAV

Comment

• Woodman
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                                Way too much and we need to fill more that a few other positions, at least for quality depth!
                                100% agreed!

Please make this your best draft Beanie.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                                X