Thread: QB School Breakdown on the Allen of the Chiefs at Bills playoff game

Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

QB School Breakdown on the Allen of the Chiefs at Bills playoff game

I know people told me it is there for a few days. To be honest I was hesitant - I never re-watched any of the Bills playoff loss in the past. But this is focused on QB play so not the whole game. I admitted that the main reason I was hesitant is because I don't think I can stomach watching Mahomes and the Chiefs drove to score on us every possession again.

Lots of info here. Sullivan played QB in NFL before so he knows what he's talking about and if it is something he's not sure about, he said so directly. Hindsight is 20/20. We know that no QB makes 100% the right decision, and you can see it here clearly that Allen had some not so great decisions. But he made enough good ones and made some poor decisions work. His running ability, you hear that from many current and former players, is a key component that distinguishes him from many good QBs. That is not Lamar Jackson or other running QBs before him kind of main weapon, because Josh adds that to his consistent superb passing ability.

What I came away is that I do think Josh, especially in critical games playing against equally capable opposing QBs, tends to default to what Sulliban calls "putting on the superman cape" moments a little too soon. He could take the next best option or let the play develop a a bit more, or just throw the ball away. It's a delicate balance because 1) he can and 2) it is the time to use it in the playoff. But when he goes to it too often, he actually misses some real opportunities for better plays.

As far as the 2nd to last play that we debated for months on, I now blame it on Brady who called the play for the TD shot, and the play unfolded exactly as they draw up, except Jones flashed his "superman cap" and made the difference. Also by the way, how many times Jones was on Allen, chasing and tackling in this game alone? I really wished someone signed him away from the Chiefs this off-season.

The last thing I want to mention is that Curtis Samuel is really supposed to be playing Diggs role for the Bills going forward, not as a true X #1 receiver, just as Diggs was not in that role either. Samuel was a dual threat from high school to college to NFL playing both WR and RB (Deebo lite). How many times in this game Brady had Diggs lined up in the backfield? In fact quite a lot in the last few games and Diggs was reportedly not quite buying into it. Imagine we put Smauel back there. It will be a true dual threat instead of just giving him a free release.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,610 Times in 17,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: QB School Breakdown on the Allen of the Chiefs at Bills playoff game

It's the part of the position that Josh hasn't grown into yet, and we've been waiting for 2-3 seasons to see it. Maybe not having Diggs will force it on him.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 30,610 Times in 17,479 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

And IMO you can't blame Brady for the call...the concept worked perfectly, it was execution that failed.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,447 Times in 7,303 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    And IMO you can't blame Brady for the call...the concept worked perfectly, it was execution that failed.
    It was a dumb call. Of course we'll never know but the Bills very likely lose the game even if the players had executed the play.

Josh and Brady both need to be smarter.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,098 Times in 4,287 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watching that explains why they got rid of Diggs.

Clear cut.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    It's the part of the position that Josh hasn't grown into yet, and we've been waiting for 2-3 seasons to see it. Maybe not having Diggs will force it on him.
    As a player, yes Josh has another step to climb up to. From the front office (Beane) perspective, you have to see that the Chiefs have Mahomes, Kelce, and Jones put their "superman capes" on at different points of the game whereas the Bills had one guy capable and he did that at times in this game. But a lot of fans, even some on this board, we are asking Allen to be perfect to win the battle 1 on 3. It can happen, and nearly happened, but certainly not a good strategy. I ask this question again, if the Bills had a Chris Jones who made one play, just ONE, to stop one of the Chiefs drives, or even just made them kick a field goal instead of a TD, would the outcome be different? I'm going to say we are certainly to win that game.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,359 Times in 2,088 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Josh is clearly a man among boys. dude went toe to toe with the champs and was the only guy who really did anything above and beyond for us all day. I can't blame josh for that loss. Especially since he made more then enough plays to win. but the defense couldn't get stops. diggs dropped balls. players failed to convert on downs, guys missed blocks. and bass missed kicks.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

8. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (04-23-2024)