Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Thomas Jr. (or your ideal first rounder) might need surgery. still take him?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,614 Times in 17,481 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Brian Thomas Jr. (or your ideal first rounder) might need surgery. still take him

I'm not moving up for either of them even without the red flags.

As far as if Thomas drops to 28, I'd like more medical specifics.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,102 Times in 3,581 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Brian Thomas Jr. (or your ideal first rounder) might need surgery. still take him

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    I’ve said it a couple of threads before this came out, it wouldn’t surprise me a bid if they drafted another position other than WR at 28. I would love to see one of the top linemen on either side of the ball fall to us.
    Oh hell, the only thing I don’t want to see is trading a lot of picks to move up to far.
    It would surprise me if they went anywhere other than WR. They lost Diggs and have no true #1. And while I agree that the offense will be dynamic and there might not be a true #1, they still need good WRs. It's still an offense-driven league.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,941 Times in 1,213 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    It would surprise me if they went anywhere other than WR. They lost Diggs and have no true #1. And while I agree that the offense will be dynamic and there might not be a true #1, they still need good WRs. It's still an offense-driven league.
    You could be right, just don't be surprized if it isn't WR.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

Thanks
    Thanked 12,455 Times in 7,305 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They're going CB in the first.

5. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-23-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    They're going CB in the first.
    You kid, but if Cooper DeJean, CB happens to fall, (probably not) they would run to the podium!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

You kid, but if Cooper DeJean, CB happens to fall, (probably not) they would run to the podium!
    I hope not. My tv is too new and expensive.

8. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You could be right, just don't be surprized if it isn't WR.
    Benjamin Albright has reported that the bills are aggressively trying to move up for a wide receiver.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,398 Times in 3,867 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Benjamin Albright has reported that the bills are aggressively trying to move up for a wide receiver.
    If that's the case, should have kept Diggs.

We're supposed to look forward to the draft. Not be weary of it.

11. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Not sure what his exact quote was but, as written, I don't buy it. Makes no sense to trade up before the draft without knowing who will be available.

Checking in to see what it would cost if their guy is still on the board when the pick comes up makes sense. A good GM should be evaluating all options.

14. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many rumors do we hear before a draft? Like senseofdoom said, why would a team let everyone know their plan? It’s like going into a car dealership and tell them you have to have a certain car. What happens the price goes way up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

How many rumors do we hear before a draft? Like senseofdoom said, why would a team let everyone know their plan? It’s like going into a car dealership and tell them you have to have a certain car. What happens the price goes way up.
    While Benjamin Albright may have insight that Beane is looking to move up, there isn't a chance that he has insight that it's for a wr. The rumor isn't worth anything.

17. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It's the height of misinformation season in the NFL. Right now they're all liars. That said, I'd prefer to trade back a little than trade up a little.

19. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    If that's the case, should have kept Diggs.

We're supposed to look forward to the draft. Not be weary of it.
    Diggs was wearing out his welcome. Better to get younger and cheaper at the position. Guys are getting paid $30M/year now at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by senseofdoom View Post
    Not sure what his exact quote was but, as written, I don't buy it. Makes no sense to trade up before the draft without knowing who will be available.

Checking in to see what it would cost if their guy is still on the board when the pick comes up makes sense. A good GM should be evaluating all options.
    Meaning if there's a guy they want, they have trade parameters in place.

21. Post thanked by:

senseofdoom (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,727 Times in 7,779 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I think it's important to read what Albert Breer actually wrote, because it's a LOT more nuanced than "both Thomas and Nabers have injured left shoulders and they might need surgery."

This is what he wrote...

Both of LSU’s star receivers, Brian Thomas Jr. and Malik Nabers, have issues with their left shoulders. The risk here is considered relatively minimal—in both cases, there’s a chance the player may have to have the shoulder surgically repaired after the 2024 season. Bryan Bresee, the Saints’ first-round pick last year, had a similar situation with his shoulder coming into the draft last year.
    This sure looks like a non-issue.

Not only would I still take Thomas at #28 (which is very likely he won't come close to last that long) I would have no issues with Beane moving UP to get him....possibly quite a bit.

He is clearly the best WR prospect this year after the top 3. He is clearly better than any WR after him on most draft rankings. I would LOVE for him to be on the Bills. Here is Dane Brugler's full analysis on him from his 2024 "The Beast" draft guide....

4. BRIAN THOMAS JR. | LSU

6’ 2 7/8” | 209 lbs. | 3JR

10/8/2002 (age 21.55)

2021 - 12 GP - 9 GS - 28 Rec - 359 Yards - 12.8 AVG - 2 TD - 5 Drop
    2022 - 13 GP - 6 GS - 31 Rec - 361 Yards - 11.6 AVG - 5 TD - 3 Drop
    2023 - 13 GP - 12 GS - 68 Rec - 1,177 Yards - 17.3 AVG - 17 TD - 5 Drop

Career - 38 GP - 27 GS - 127 Rec - 1,897 Yards - 14.9 AVG - 24 TD - 13 Drop

BACKGROUND: Brian Thomas Jr., who has a sister (Shenika), grew up in Walker (just outside of Baton Rouge). He started playing organized sports at age 6, primarily basketball and football. He played football all the way through youth sports and middle school, although many around him believed basketball would be his long-term future. Thomas starred on several travel and AAU basketball teams, including the 15U Elfrid Payton Elite (led the team to the 2018 championship). Even though Thomas played football from a young age, his father (Brian Sr.) wanted him to focus only on basketball as a freshman at Walker High School, because of Thomas’ slender size. With his high-flying dunks, Thomas was an immediate star on the basketball court and helped the team to a 38-4 record, including the 2017-18 5A state championship — the first in school history. In the title game, Thomas (20 points, eight rebounds) fueled a comeback, overtime victory and was named game MVP. He joined the football team prior to his sophomore season and started going to a trainer to help develop his frame. In his first high school game, he accounted for 278 receiving yards and three touchdowns on just four catches (69.5 yards per catch). Thomas had his most productive season as a junior with 75 receptions for 1,272 yards (17.0) and 17 touchdowns. He was named honorable mention All-State in 2019, as he led Walker to an 8-4 record. Walker played an abbreviated schedule in 2020 because of the pandemic, and Thomas finished with 32 receptions for 551 yards and nine total touchdowns. He received an invitation to the All-American Bowl and earned All-District honors three straight years. After his breakout freshman season on the basketball court, Thomas led Walker back to the title game in 2019. He surpassed 1,000 career points midway through his sophomore season and was named All-State in basketball as a junior. Thomas didn’t play basketball as a senior, but he did join the track team in 2021 and set personal bests of 11.23 seconds in the 100 meters and 22.12 in the 200.

A four-star recruit, Thomas was the No. 13 wide receiver in the 2021 recruiting class and the No. 4 recruit in Louisiana. Before he’d even played a snap of high school football, he received an offer from LSU after working out at a camp on the LSU campus in June 2018. Thomas also received high-level basketball offers (Texas A&M offered him as a freshman), but he decided that football would be his future, because it was his “love” since childhood. Thomas added football offers from several other SEC programs before narrowing down his final choice to Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Texas A&M. He kept everyone in suspense until signing day, when he officially inked with his home state Tigers. Thomas was the No. 5 recruit in former head coach Ed Orgeron’s final class at LSU. He elected to skip his senior season and enter the 2024 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Outstanding size/speed athlete with fluid body movements … NFL-caliber accelerator off stutter-step release to quickly eat up grass and get over the top on man corners (his favorite route is the slot fade) … comfortably finds the ball in flight and alters his body for contortionist mid-air adjustments … plays strong to the football, and his focus doesn’t diminish with bodies around him … works back to the ball and uses box-out angles like a basketball power forward … minimal delay going from catcher to runner, which is uncommon for a “big” receiver … shows natural run instincts to make the first man miss … put some impressive blocking efforts on tape (see his full-field hustle on Jayden Daniels’ long run against Florida in 2023) … his production improved each season, peaking at 1,000-plus receiving yards in 2023 (Thomas and Malik Nabers became just the third pair of LSU receivers to reach 1,000 receiving yards in the same season, joining Ja’Marr Chase/Justin Jefferson in 2019 and Odell Beckham Jr./Jarvis Landry in 2013).

WEAKNESSES: Modest figure with room to improve his bulk … play strength will be tested by more physical press corners than he faced in college … tends to lose his footing at the top of routes and needs to sharpen his breaks … a lot of crossers and verticals on tape, and his route tree needs more branches … shows great blocking effort one play, then takes his foot off the pedal the next … benefited from an all-star supporting cast, including multiple NFL receivers and a Heisman-winning QB.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at LSU, Thomas was primarily an outside receiver in offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock’s spread scheme, working on both sides of the formation (87.2 percent of his career snaps came outside). He showed flashes his first two seasons in Baton Rouge but took his game to another level as a junior in 2023, leading the FBS in touchdown grabs (17) — the most receiving TDs by a receiver in an FBS season since DeVonta Smith’s 23 in 2020. A former basketball recruit, Thomas has unique body movements for his size (before and after the catch) with the focus and coordination to make plays above the rim. He consistently gets on top of coverage with his quick acceleration (his 1.78-second “flying 20” was the fastest at the combine), although crisper cuts and improved leverage will help him create better separation out of breaks. Overall, Thomas plays with impressive length, fluid speed and ball-winning athleticism. If his route efficiency catches up with his natural talent, he will be a dangerous weapon in the NFL. He projects as a quality NFL starter with the upside of Tee Higgins.

GRADE: 1st Round (No. 15 overall)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,204 Times in 5,929 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Notty why was he (BTJ) a non factor the 2 preceding years?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I think it's important to read what Albert Breer actually wrote, because it's a LOT more nuanced than "both Thomas and Nabers have injured left shoulders and they might need surgery."

This is what he wrote...

This sure looks like a non-issue.

Not only would I still take Thomas at #28 (which is very likely he won't come close to last that long) I would have no issues with Beane moving UP to get him....possibly quite a bit.

He is clearly the best WR prospect this year after the top 3. He is clearly better than any WR after him on most draft rankings. I would LOVE for him to be on the Bills. Here is Dane Brugler's full analysis on him from his 2024 "The Beast" draft guide....
    They said the same thing about Shaq Lawson's injured shoulder. Not serious. Injured as a freshman...may not need surgery until AFTER his rookie year. We all know how that went...

25. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,489 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Notty why was he (BTJ) a non factor the 2 preceding years?
    Let me throw in my 2 cents.

Eric Moulds. Stefon Diggs. DK Metcalf. All had mediocre college production…Metcalf’s was atrocious actually not just mediocre.
    BTW Eric Moulds production his first two years as a pro was also quite pedestrian…looked very bust like as a matter of fact …and then came the third year!

I think you might be greatly discounting the learning curve of the game and the youth of these players.

Everyone doesn’t progress at the same pace. There are also a multitude of variables that we as casual observers aren’t privy too. Offensive design? QB preference? High performing upper classmen? The list goes on.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    They said the same thing about Shaq Lawson's injured shoulder. Not serious. Injured as a freshman...may not need surgery until AFTER his rookie year. We all know how that went...
    This is why so many players don’t live up to the hype, teams and especially reporters floss over these things and when they get to the show it they can’t play like they did at college. Remember most college teams have very few guys even good enough to smell an NFL locker room let alone play at that level!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm not taking anyone with my #1 pick who already has injury issues.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

29. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-24-2024)