Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on Day 1

Thanks
    Thanked 26,351 Times in 13,758 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Some thoughts on Day 1

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    Op, you cannot possibly include legette in you 3 WR taken between 28-32. I agree that we didn’t want Worthy so to move up 40 spots to get into the 3rd and 20 spots later was stealing from KC. We were not gonna draft him

Legette went BECAUSE we didn’t want him so we robbed Carolina as well.

Now you have Franklin Mitchell and McConkey sitting there with better picks to follow and a chance to move up with all those 5s
    Point is… KC thought worthy was worthy (uggh… no pun intended) of 28. SF thought Pearsall was worthy of 31. Beane didnt think either was worthy of 28.

Carolina thought Legette was worthy of 32. Beane did not.

However you phrase it, 3 teams clearly had very different draft boards than the Bills. Carolina- who knows? They’re rebuilding and haven’t been ver good lately. But we know KC and SF have good FO’s.

It’s waaaaayyyy too early to tell who was right. But it seems odd to me that 3 other professionals had the same opinion while Beane had a different one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Of course you think we fleeced KC. You always see everthing from the homer perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course you think we fleeced KC. You always see everthing from the homer perspective.
    But he's right don't you know, he's a ledgend in his own mind!
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

3. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,434 Times in 15,542 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    I agree with you about the KC trade. You really don't need to help the team who knocked you out of the playoffs 3 times any help.

I don't see a trade where you basically trade down...so you can trade up from the 4th round to the 3rd round with your arch rival.

Big picture to me:

this has become a must hit situation.

He just traded his best WR;
    He passed over 3 WR's and didn't trade up for one who fell past 20...

He better hope..

-whoever he has targeted in the 2nd better be better than who he passed over with the trades.
    -Especially with the KC trade, he better hope those guys bust out.

There isn't any wiggle room here. IF this doesn't work, there will be no "we didn't like him:" or "the draft is a crap shoot" or "he wasn't as high on our board" or god forbid, "we liked this CB better than the WRs who were there".

This doesn't work, none of that matters a damned. This works or it doesn't.

And personally, if it doesn't I'd consider it a move worthy of firing.
    Agree on all counts.

He has now backed himself into a corner, (much like the team last year) where his strategy had better work.

And if it doesn't work, yes, he should be terminated.

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,864 Times in 3,385 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He's the Anti-Op. You see everything from the jilted girlfriend perspective.
    Last edited by POTLAND PSILBYLO; 04-26-2024 at 04:41 PM. Reason: to spread mustard secretly between each letter

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by POTLAND PSILBYLO View Post
    He's the Anti-Op. You see everything from the jilted girlfriend perspective.
    I see it as more of a post-“battered woman syndrome” scenario.

Battered women always believe the “this time will be better!” line. I keep coming back for the abuse but I no longer believe that it can stop.

The abuse changed from being pummeled and thrown down the steps to merely a huge kick in the nuts on an annual basis. Nota takes the kick in the nuts and tells everybody that it’s really a form of receiving oral sex.

7. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-27-2024),kgun12 (04-26-2024),POTLAND PSILBYLO (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,210 Times in 5,933 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Had the bills stayed at 28. The Chiefs most likely would have gotten Worthy anyway and Pearsall could easily have been selected at 33. Buffalo could have selected Mitchell, legette Franklin or Mcconkey.

do you buy the likelihood of that premise? If so then look at it this way, today we pick 60 and done for the day.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Had the bills stayed at 28. The Chiefs most likely would have gotten Worthy anyway and Pearsall could easily have been selected at 33. Buffalo could have selected Mitchell, legette Franklin or Mcconkey.

do you buy the likelihood of that premise? If so then look at it this way, today we pick 60 and done for the day.
    No I don’t buy it. The Chiefs had to have reason to believe they couldn’t have gotten Worthy if they stayed put. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have given us anything to trade up.

SF took a WR so they probably would have taken Worthy if we didn’t.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

No I don’t buy it. The Chiefs had to have reason to believe they couldn’t have gotten Worthy if they stayed put. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have given us anything to trade up.

Speculating but let’s say you are right. Buffalo didn’t want Worthy and preferred to move way up in today’s draft. WAY up.

meaning KC moved way back today.

as far at Carolina. That was a reach pick. And I can only understand the move if they want the optional 5th year option. What value does 33-32 get you?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Speculating but let’s say you are right. Buffalo didn’t want Worthy and preferred to move way up in today’s draft. WAY up.

meaning KC moved way back today.

as far at Carolina. That was a reach pick. And I can only understand the move if they want the optional 5th year option. What value does 33-32 get you?
    It’s quite simple. Carolina wanted a WR. They know we need a WR. They thought Legette was worth it, Beane didn’t.

As far as KC, if the guy they picked gets 75 yards and a TD in another playoff loss to them, no one is gonna care that they moved back on day 2 of the draft.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

It’s quite simple. Carolina wanted a WR. They know we need a WR. They thought Legette was worth it, Beane didn’t.

As far as KC, if the guy they picked gets 75 yards and a TD in another playoff loss to them, no one is gonna care that they moved back on day 2 of the draft.
    Or the pick they got for the trade down is a CB and intercepts Mahomes or the DL sacks Mahomes to preserve the win or the WR catches the game win TD in the playoff win against KC?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

So Beane fleeced Carolina for a better pick position today. I would have been fine had they chosen who they are going to pick today at 7:05. But 32 or 33 makes no difference EXCEPT draft position improved.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Here's what you and others are missing, if Bean wanted either of those WR's, he doesn't make at least on of those trades!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

We traded down and got a WR, 3 other teams traded up to get WR’s within about 7 picks, so maybe there’s something to that.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kgun12 View Post
    Here's what you and others are missing, if Bean wanted either of those WR's, he doesn't make at least on of those trades!
    Well other teams wanted those guys and Beane didn’t. So who’s right? Beane, or the 3 other teams that thought WR’s were worthy of those picks? Time will tell, but when it’s 3 experts vs 1, usually the 3 are right.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Well other teams wanted those guys and Beane didn’t. So who’s right? Beane, or the 3 other teams that thought WR’s were worthy of those picks? Time will tell, but when it’s 3 experts vs 1, usually the 3 are right.
    It's a crap shoot, no one knows, look at the busts vs the ones that make it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 3,882 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Oh it’s def too early to judge. Beane has a lot of picks over the next two days. He can still get some good players and he still could potentially trade the pick for an existing player (although the cap situation makes that unlikely).

I’m not passing judgment yet. I’m just a little confused as to why our draft board was so much different than others in terms of the WR’s available at the end of the first
    So we traded back with KC to get Coleman (who I like) and Carter (who's just a body and no more).

Beane's use of the trade assets doesn't look too smart, tbh.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 3,882 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So was the strategy to trade back behind these other great teams who also need wr and take the scraps?

I like Coleman and think he's a good fit, but still...

We squandered that 3rd round pick on a backup, if we're lucky.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,752 Times in 7,802 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

- - - Updated - - -

Except you assertion that "You always see everything from the homer perspective." is 100% false. You keep on showing that you have NO IDEA what "homer" even means.

BTW....you (as usual) are misrepresenting what I actually wrote.

I did not say I "think we fleeced KC."...I said " I suspect the Bills fleeced KC".

Do you understand what "suspect" means????

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Except you assertion that "You always see everything from the homer perspective." is 100% false. You keep on showing that you have NO IDEA what "homer" even means.

BTW....you (as usual) are misrepresenting what I actually wrote.

I did not say I "think we fleeced KC."...I said " I suspect the Bills fleeced KC".

Do you understand what "suspect" means????
    Really? You're going to split hairs over semantics?

And of course it's the homer perspective. Within hours after it happened- long before either guy even puts cleats on for practice, you come in with "KC pick (suspected) bad, Buffalo pick good."

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    So we traded back with KC to get Coleman (who I like) and Carter (who's just a body and no more).

Beane's use of the trade assets doesn't look too smart, tbh.
    We were already behind KC and other teams with the roster we had last season.

We had to part ways with a lot of guys due to the cap, injuries, guys aging out, etc.

With the cap situation, the only way to make up that talent gap was the draft and it's really just not possible.