Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on Day 1

Thanks
    Thanked 26,334 Times in 13,747 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Some thoughts on Day 1

Some of this may have been said in the draft thread but I was doing other things while following the draft on my phone/ipad so I didn’t read it.

First, I’m glad we didn’t waste picks to trade up. I think I read that Beane said he tried but couldn’t find the right partner. Don’t care- just happy it didn’t happen. That was good.

Now for the bad, or at least confusing parts:

I don’t know why we would trade with KC. They’ve been a brick wall for us in the playoffs so I don’t know why Beane would do anything that could potentially help them.

From 28 through 32, three WR’s were taken. Two of them were taken by teams that were in the SB last year, so you know they have quality FO’s. I don’t know anything about the players specifically, but I find it strange that other FO’s found them worthy of late first round picks, but ours did not.

Maybe they like someone who fell out of the first and knew they could nab him at 33 tonight? I don’t know- just speculating on why we passed on 3 WR’s that other teams liked.

2. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2024),jamze132 (04-26-2024),Thurmal (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,484 Times in 7,098 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Some thoughts on Day 1

Even if we didnt trade with KC, they would still end up with Worthy either at 29,30,31 or 32 or if we drafted Worthy ourselves at 28.
    By us trading with them, we get their 3rd rd instead of someone else.
    I am guessing, we traded for more picks because we're going to trade for a receiver.

4. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,652 Times in 6,197 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    FSU WR Coleman #33
    Utah DB Bishop #60
    Duke DT Carter #95
    Kentucky RB Davis #128
    Georgia C Granger #141
    Wash LB Ulofoshio #160
    Troy DE Solomon #168
    UCF OT Grable #204
    Penn ST. CB Hardy #219
    Eng. OT Clayton #221

Thanks
    Thanked 5,403 Times in 3,871 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Some of this may have been said in the draft thread but I was doing other things while following the draft on my phone/ipad so I didn’t read it.

First, I’m glad we didn’t waste picks to trade up. I think I read that Beane said he tried but couldn’t find the right partner. Don’t care- just happy it didn’t happen. That was good.

I don’t know why we would trade with KC. They’ve been a brick wall for us in the playoffs so I don’t know why Beane would do anything that could potentially help them.

From 28 through 32, three WR’s were taken. Two of them were taken by teams that were in the SB last year, so you know they have quality FO’s. I don’t know anything about the players specifically, but I find it strange that other FO’s found them worthy of late first round picks, but ours did not.

Maybe they like someone who fell out of the first and knew they could nab him at 33 tonight? I don’t know- just speculating on why we passed on 3 WR’s that other teams liked.
    Good points but it's a day or two early to judge. Let's see what Beane does now with our draft capitol. We could get two good wr prospects instead of one, slightly better, wr prospect.

7. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,459 Times in 7,309 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He actually said the opposite. He did not try and trade up.

9. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,872 Times in 3,516 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by justasportsfan View Post
    Even if we didnt trade with KC, they would still end up with Worthy either at 29,30,31 or 32 or if we drafted Worthy ourselves at 28.
    By us trading with them, we get their 3rd rd instead of someone else.
    I am guessing, we traded for more picks because we're going to trade for a receiver.
    KC’s front office knows what they’re doing. We should have had interest in that same player yet we let KC jump us yet again. Didn’t work out too good the last time…

11. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Good points but it's a day or two early to judge. Let's see what Beane does now with our draft capitol. We could get two good wr prospects instead of one, slightly better, wr prospect.
    Oh it’s def too early to judge. Beane has a lot of picks over the next two days. He can still get some good players and he still could potentially trade the pick for an existing player (although the cap situation makes that unlikely).

I’m not passing judgment yet. I’m just a little confused as to why our draft board was so much different than others in terms of the WR’s available at the end of the first

Thanks
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The two teams that drafted those WR’s had know glaring needs at other positions so the Chiefs could take the chance on his speed and 49ers I will say got a decent pick but it might have been a reach because Aiyuk or Debo might be on the move.
    Retired Air Traffic Controller
    USAF VETERAN
    DAV

14. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Watching the Pat Mac show Mike Lombardi the 3x SB GM says plan and simple the Bills didn't like any of the WR's taken and there are sone really good WR’s left that can help the Bills.

16. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Oh it’s def too early to judge. Beane has a lot of picks over the next two days. He can still get some good players and he still could potentially trade the pick for an existing player (although the cap situation makes that unlikely).

I’m not passing judgment yet. I’m just a little confused as to why our draft board was so much different than others in terms of the WR’s available at the end of the first
    System fits? Worthy was probably not the type the Bills wanted so he was probably lower on the board. Pearsall came out of nowhere--must be something specific to what the 9ers like in a receiver. Legette is a one year wonder with some issues with drops--there are others who seem more solid (AD Mitchell, McConkey even) so trading down one pick to jump a full round seemed reasonable.

It will be interesting to see if they go WR right away or go for DeJean who is suggested to be catnip for McDermott--just his type of safety with versatility and smarts.

At any rate, they did yield quite a bit of upward mobility in later picks for very modest trades down.

18. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024),YardRat (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,403 Times in 3,871 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There was a time when Bill Belichick's drafts were put on a pedestal because he was Bill Belichick. I'm not ready to put late round wide receiver pics on a pedestal because they were made by good teams.

20. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,617 Times in 17,484 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by tomz View Post
    System fits? Worthy was probably not the type the Bills wanted so he was probably lower on the board. Pearsall came out of nowhere--must be something specific to what the 9ers like in a receiver. Legette is a one year wonder with some issues with drops--there are others who seem more solid (AD Mitchell, McConkey even) so trading down one pick to jump a full round seemed reasonable.

It will be interesting to see if they go WR right away or go for DeJean who is suggested to be catnip for McDermott--just his type of safety with versatility and smarts.

At any rate, they did yield quite a bit of upward mobility in later picks for very modest trades down.

I would rather have Dejean than Mitchell or McConkey. Get a WR later, there will be some available.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

22. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (04-26-2024),kgun12 (04-26-2024),tomz (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,207 Times in 5,931 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Op, you cannot possibly include legette in you 3 WR taken between 28-32. I agree that we didn’t want Worthy so to move up 40 spots to get into the 3rd and 20 spots later was stealing from KC. We were not gonna draft him

Legette went BECAUSE we didn’t want him so we robbed Carolina as well.

Now you have Franklin Mitchell and McConkey sitting there with better picks to follow and a chance to move up with all those 5s

24. Post thanked by:

justasportsfan (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by jamze132 View Post
    KC’s front office knows what they’re doing. We should have had interest in that same player yet we let KC jump us yet again. Didn’t work out too good the last time…
    Not arguing whether KC knows what they are doing. They know more than us but Beane didn't know what KC was drafting Worthy from what I understand. Beane obviously felt Worthy is not a fit.

26. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    I would rather have Dejean than Mitchell or McConkey. Get a WR later, there will be some available.
    Agreed.

28. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,207 Times in 5,931 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There are probably offers for 33

Thanks
    Thanked 11,731 Times in 7,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

As I said in another thread, I suspect the Bills FLEECED KC.

They can have Worthy. Same with Pearsall and Legette.

Better WR's than all of those the are still on the board.

Of course, we will not know for a year or two.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

Of course you think we fleeced KC. You always see everthing from the homer perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post

Of course you think we fleeced KC. You always see everthing from the homer perspective.

32. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2024),kgun12 (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,909 Times in 4,026 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I agree with you about the KC trade. You really don't need to help the team who knocked you out of the playoffs 3 times any help.

I don't see a trade where you basically trade down...so you can trade up from the 4th round to the 3rd round with your arch rival.

Big picture to me:

this has become a must hit situation.

He just traded his best WR;
    He passed over 3 WR's and didn't trade up for one who fell past 20...

He better hope..

-whoever he has targeted in the 2nd better be better than who he passed over with the trades.
    -Especially with the KC trade, he better hope those guys bust out.

There isn't any wiggle room here. IF this doesn't work, there will be no "we didn't like him:" or "the draft is a crap shoot" or "he wasn't as high on our board" or god forbid, "we liked this CB better than the WRs who were there".

This doesn't work, none of that matters a damned. This works or it doesn't.

And personally, if it doesn't I'd consider it a move worthy of firing.

34. Post thanked by:

Historian (04-26-2024),YardRat (04-26-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sukie View Post
    There are probably offers for 33
    Give the Commanders our 33 for their 36 and their 67 (3rd rd)