If it is like the previous few seasons with the "one player away" mentality, I think Beane, McDermott, Pegula would sign off to get a guy who is best to contribute right away or fill a hole. Elam, Kincaid is kind of in that category. Watching the draft last night, I can't help thinking 1) they believe there are still some 1st round talent available that they feel can get (like Cooper Dejean is obvious, universally ranked 1st round talent), even though Beane admitted there aren't 28 1st round grade but more than last year. And 2) they are willing to sacrifice a slightly higher grade player for more shots at quality talent in the first 100 players.

It could also mean maybe a philosophy change as well, like drafting late in each round, maybe it is better to have more shots than pinning on one prospect - I'm personally aligned with that strategy because we are probably doomed to pick in late 20s as long as Josh is playing and you are not likely to get a more surefire talent in top 10.

The downside is you expect the people you draft may take longer to get on the field, i.e., may not provide as much immediate contribution.

I know there are crowds banging on the door shouting we are wasting Josh's prime years. If we spent everything to grab Odunze (I heard here in the 'burgh last night that even 2 1st and 2 2nd is not enough to go up to 9), are you sure we have a talented team win this year? In my view we are still far from it, which means we may waste more time of Josh's prime years.