Thread: So Who at #33?

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,425 Times in 15,539 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: So Who at #33?

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    Keon Coleman with #33.

There will be another run of WR's after #33.

If not WR, Cooper DeJean would be a good pick.
    Spot on Nota.

Well done.

What do you think of his skills?

2. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-27-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,105 Times in 4,292 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wasn’t really high on Coleman until I did research after the pick.

Of course there’s always a chance he busts, but if he works his butt off, he has the elite ceiling. His physical intangibles are off the charts, and his hands are already elite.

4. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-27-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,741 Times in 7,792 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Historian View Post
    Spot on Nota.

Well done.

What do you think of his skills?
    Thanks.

In the "Round 1 & 2 Predictions. Who you guess" thread before the draft started I had this...

1. Move up - WR Brain Thomas Jr
    2. S Javon Bullard (might have to move up to get him too).
    I suspect that the Bills had four WR's with 1st round grades, and quite possibly tried to move up to get Thomas. When he went at #23, Keon Coleman was probably next up on their depth chart as it's pretty clear Beane did not want Worthy, Pearsoll and Legette.

Coleman seems to be the closest skill set to Thomas albeit not as fast. Their background in basketball as their first sport is almost identical as is their size and ability to win contested catches.

It's obvious why the Bills covet Coleman and his skill set. Big, tough, who can go up and (as we've all heard by now) "play above the rim". He has the potential to be a red zone star, almost uncoverable. He also is known as a good blocker. His record of acrobatic one handed catches and great hands (he hardly EVER drops the ball) has me (and I suspect Josh Allen) extremely excited to see how he develops.

Dane Brugler had these observations in his The Beast 2024 Draft Guide...

STRENGTHS: Physically impressive athlete … outstanding body control, hip flexibility and leaping skills to sky the ball and make plays above the rim … didn’t record first drop of 2023 until the ACC title game (had an outstanding gauntlet drill at the NFL combine) … routinely makes 50/50 grabs, and his highlight reel includes several one-handed catches … maintains his focus to track/finish while wearing defenders like a backpack … consistently draws pass interference calls, especially in the red zone … snatch-and-go receiver with the limber frame that allows for half of his body to make the catch while the other half gets a head start working upfield … quick at the line and at the top of his route … improved nuance as a route runner, introducing head bobs or jab steps to get corners leaning at the break point … knows how to use his body to shield defenders on slants … able to physically dominate as a blocker and will take cornerbacks completely out of plays … wasn’t expected to return punts at Florida State, but he filled the need and was productive (joined Peter Warrick as the only FSU players with 100-plus receiving yards and 100-plus punt return yards in the same game) … averaged 12.0 yards per punt return in 2023 (25/300/0) … “loves to work,” according to head coach Mike Norvell (NFL scout: “His drive since he was a kid was to max out his ability and cash in for his family. … That singular focus and talent? Yeah, I’ll bet on that.”) … teammates speak highly of the way he carries himself (Trey Benson: “He has so much energy. … I’ve never seen him down.”) … led team in receiving at two different schools.

WEAKNESSES: Not a burner, and his speed is mediocre by NFL standards … can be more efficient beating the jam and stacking corners … routes require additional polish and deception … doesn’t consistently separate on film, leading to a high-trafficked catch points (his 30 contested targets ranked second most in the FBS in 2023) … guilty of extending both hands and pushing off defenders downfield (flagged twice for offensive pass interference in 2023) … played through a partial muscle tear in his hip/groin area throughout the 2022 season at Michigan State (an injury contributed to his decision to give up basketball); missed one game as a junior and parts of several others because of nagging injuries (November 2023).

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Florida State, Coleman lined up inside and outside (motion-heavy) in head coach Mike Norvell’s up-tempo scheme. After putting himself on the NFL radar as a two-sport athlete at Michigan State, he transferred to Tallahassee in 2023 and led the Seminoles in receiving — and the nation in acrobatic “He did what?!” catches. Thanks to his basketball background, Coleman “big brothers” cornerbacks up and down the fi eld using size, strength and athleticism. But what really separates him as a pass catcher is his dominance with the ball in the air. Not only can he overpower defenders at the catch point, but he also makes leaping acrobatic stabs appear routine with his natural body control and extraordinary catch radius. Overall, Coleman must develop more nuance to his route running, but his big-man twitch, physicality and ball-winning adjustment skills allow him to be a difference maker. With continued refinement, he has the talent to be an NFL starter (similar in ways to Courtland Sutton).

GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 37 overall)
    Once Thomas was gone, Keon Coleman is a fantastic second choice, and Beane did EXTREMELY well in trading back to greatly improve the value of later round picks.

With the other 2nd round pick of safety Cole Bishop has the Bills with two solid prospects that will almost assuredly be starters some time next year. Coleman probably from day one, and Bishop as he picks up experience with McD probably favoring the vet Edwards as bishop learns the defense, with Bishop becoming the clear starter and one of the leaders of the defense for 2025.

All-in-all, after only three picks, I'm extremely encouraged by Beane's skill.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I wasn’t really high on Coleman until I did research after the pick.

Of course there’s always a chance he busts, but if he works his butt off, he has the elite ceiling. His physical intangibles are off the charts, and his hands are already elite.
    All reports have his attitude to be first class and is known as a hard worker and positive locker room presence.

It's fairly obvious that the reason Adonai Mitchell dropped like a rock to #52 overall and the 11th WR off the board (after being widely mocked to the Bills at #28) was his character issues.

Coleman sure looks like a perfect fit for the Bills.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,409 Times in 3,875 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

All reports have his attitude to be first class and is known as a hard worker and positive locker room presence.

It's fairly obvious that the reason Adonai Mitchell dropped like a rock to #52 overall and the 11th WR off the board (after being widely mocked to the Bills at #28) was his character issues.

Coleman sure looks like a perfect fit for the Bills.
    He's the anti Stfon Diggs, lockeroom presence wise.

8. Post thanked by:

notacon (04-30-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    He's the anti Stfon Diggs, lockeroom presence wise.
    I suspect that that is one of THE reasons Josh Allen wants him.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,656 Times in 6,201 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    WR Coleman #33 DB Bishop #60 DT Carter #95 RB Davis #128 C Granger #141
    LB Ulofoshio #160 DE Solomon #168
    OT Grable #204 CB Hardy #219 OT Clayton #221