Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

Thanks
    Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

If you are nerds of the game, you will enjoy what Wiley said in the video.

The first thing is about from college to NFL. That's exactly why you see the biggest jump in an NFL player's career is often year 1 to year 2. Those still in the "I'm a stud in college" mindset will washout in a short few years.

The second point is about Bruce. It resonates with me as one of my kids in a different sport seeking coaches years ago and we found out that the ones got to the top of the world often not the best coaches afterwards because their natural ability makes them do things easier than the rest of us and it is hard for them to understand why we could not do what they considered easy. It is the guys like Phil Hanson that have limited natural ability but worked hard in technique to reach what they reach. In the end though, there is always some one with both the natural ability and the desire to master all the technique to beat everyone.

The Bills need to get more of those "some one" in addition to Josh to win the championship.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 6,229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

Best Buffalo Bill ever.

Maybe the best player period.

1) Ari
    2)@ Mia
    3) Jac
    4)@ Bal
    5)@ Hou
    6)@ Jet
    7) Ten
    8)@ Sea

3. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-15-2024),Mercy (05-14-2024),OpIv37 (05-14-2024)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

My first and all time favorite
    Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
    Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

5. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-15-2024),Woodman (Yesterday),YardRat (05-15-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,496 Times in 15,582 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Bruce came to us as a talented 305 lb fat body.

Rusty Jones turned him into the fastest 273 lb DE to ever play the game.

7. Post thanked by:

Mercy (05-15-2024),OpIv37 (05-15-2024),Thurmal (05-15-2024),Woodman (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,662 Times in 17,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He was special, no doubt.

The Bills need to get more of those "some one" in addition to Josh to win the championship.
    A good start would be Josh becoming a "some one" himself...he's not there yet.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    If you are nerds of the game, you will enjoy what Wiley said in the video.

The first thing is about from college to NFL. That's exactly why you see the biggest jump in an NFL player's career is often year 1 to year 2. Those still in the "I'm a stud in college" mindset will washout in a short few years.

The second point is about Bruce. It resonates with me as one of my kids in a different sport seeking coaches years ago and we found out that the ones got to the top of the world often not the best coaches afterwards because their natural ability makes them do things easier than the rest of us and it is hard for them to understand why we could not do what they considered easy. It is the guys like Phil Hanson that have limited natural ability but worked hard in technique to reach what they reach. In the end though, there is always some one with both the natural ability and the desire to master all the technique to beat everyone.

Totally agree/been saying that for years about the best players usually not making the best coaches. As for Josh and a championship, they need a defense that doesn't fold in the playoffs.

10. Post thanked by:

Mercy (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 6,229 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

13. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (05-20-2024),Mercy (05-15-2024),OpIv37 (05-15-2024),YardRat (05-18-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

What a monumental bust Wiley was

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    What a monumental bust Wiley was
    Bust? The guy played in NFL for 10 years and had a couple of 10+ sack years with 1 pro-ball appearance.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,395 Times in 13,783 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I watch clips of the 90's teams, the game seems to be a half step slower than it is today, with one exception: Bruce Smith. Obviously, training and nutrition has improved, so if those 90's guys played today, they would be bigger and faster, but Bruce was 20 years ahead of his time. If you could take 1992 Bruce Smith and put him on the current team exactly as he was back then, he'd still lead the league in sacks. I can't say that about anyone else.

He's my all-time favorite player. To this day, my game day jersey is an authentic Bruce Smith.

17. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (05-20-2024),Mercy (05-15-2024),Woodman (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Power to Give Rep

I want your jersey!

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I watch clips of the 90's teams, the game seems to be a half step slower than it is today, with one exception: Bruce Smith. Obviously, training and nutrition has improved, so if those 90's guys played today, they would be bigger and faster, but Bruce was 20 years ahead of his time. If you could take 1992 Bruce Smith and put him on the current team exactly as he was back then, he'd still lead the league in sacks. I can't say that about anyone else.

He's my all-time favorite player. To this day, my game day jersey is an authentic Bruce Smith.

19. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,790 Times in 7,831 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I was lucky to be able to see Bruce Smith LIVE at several games (back when I attended some games).

TV (especially the crappy quality of TV at that time) does not give his amazing quickness any justice.

I remember one game vs NE, close defensive struggle and late in the game, Bruce literally took the game over. He was unstoppable and everyone in the stadium KNEW he was unstoppable.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 4,305 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Bust? The guy played in NFL for 10 years and had a couple of 10+ sack years with 1 pro-ball appearance.
    Dude was terrible for the Bills. He had one good year, his contract year.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    I want your jersey!
    It’s the only authentic Bills jersey I’ve ever owned. I also have an authentic ND #12 Jersey (it was Ian Book when I got it), and for Christmas my wife gave me an authentic Rob Ray goat head sweater.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Dude was terrible for the Bills. He had one good year, his contract year.
    Maybe you have a high standard. A second round pick played behind Bruce Smith for 3 years, in a 3-4 scheme, got a total 10 sacks in 4 years with the Bills. then had his probowl year with chargers with 13 sacks is far from a bust. Money talks. Busts don't get a $40 million contract in FA market 24 years ago.

Statistically speaking, 70% drafted players don't start for any team after 3rd or 4th years. So Wiley is already in the 30%. Then he got a big contract afterwards, which put him probably in the top 20%. He fell sharply after he got into 29 year age and beyond, which is par for the course for average NFL players.

Now 20 years later, technology and training science may help to extend dedicated professional players professional life somewhat. Still father time in general still rules. We saw it first hand this past season where a bunch of around 30 year old players declining performance. In my opinion (and many others) that the front office did the right thing to jettison most of them with the youth movement.

There are exceptions. Personally, I'd keep Bruce Smith with the Bills and it might shorten the drought years because I think with Bruce, we might make the playoff in Bledsoe's first year.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    He was special, no doubt.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,123 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Totally wrong.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I was lucky to be able to see Bruce Smith LIVE at several games (back when I attended some games).

TV (especially the crappy quality of TV at that time) does not give his amazing quickness any justice.

I remember one game vs NE, close defensive struggle and late in the game, Bruce literally took the game over. He was unstoppable and everyone in the stadium KNEW he was unstoppable.
    I saw him play in person a few times. Unfortunately I was young and generally just watched the ball. I wish focusing on Bruce had occurred to me at the time.

FWIW, when London Fletcher was with Washington, my friend scored free tickets to a game against the Giants. I spent a lot of time watching Fletcher. Now, don’t get me wrong: Fletcher is nowhere near Bruce’s level. But I noticed a lot of things that are hard to notice on TV. There were numerous times where it looked like a player was about to get open, but Fletcher had diagnosed the play and cut off the passing lane. At that point, he was old and slow but he made up for it by always knowing where to be.

That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.

27. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (05-20-2024),notacon (05-18-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,790 Times in 7,831 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    I saw him play in person a few times. Unfortunately I was young and generally just watched the ball. I wish focusing on Bruce had occurred to me at the time.

FWIW, when London Fletcher was with Washington, my friend scored free tickets to a game against the Giants. I spent a lot of time watching Fletcher. Now, don’t get me wrong: Fletcher is nowhere near Bruce’s level. But I noticed a lot of things that are hard to notice on TV. There were numerous times where it looked like a player was about to get open, but Fletcher had diagnosed the play and cut off the passing lane. At that point, he was old and slow but he made up for it by always knowing where to be.

That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.
    I did not have you issue of being young when you saw him live since I did not go to my first Bills game until I was close to 20 years old.

The second game I ever went to was September 7, 1980 (I was 25 years old) the famous end of the 20 game losing streak to Miami of the 70's.

I was in the end zone seats as the crowd tore down the goalposts. I was well into my 30's when I had the honor of seeing Bruce in action.