• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sahlensguy
    • Mar 2015

Re: Keon Coleman

Wow.

Keon was asked about his jacket as he was sitting down, at his 1st formal interview as a pro. It was a fine response and when the football questions came he did great. I know a well spoken 20 year old athlete can put some people on edge, but still...

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
      I think with Coleman you’re hoping for an Eric Moulds type development with his route running becoming his main focus. If you get that then you got a steal.

If not then you’re potential getting a Kelvin Benjamin type. Though I do think Coleman’s burst and agility is better than Benjamin.

Benjamin -
      40 - 4.61
      10S - 1.62
      Vertical - 32.5
      Broad - 119

Coleman -
      40 - 4.61
      10S - 1.54
      Vertical - 38
      Broad - 127
      DHop -
      40 - 4.57
      10S = 1.59
      vertical - 36
      broad - 115

Supposedly Coleman improved his 40 yard speed to 4.5x range in his pro day. I still believe his ceiling is DHop, creating separation using intelligence and physicality just like DHop did in his career. For example, one of the trademark move is DHop routinely sets up back-shoulder catches by allowing the cornerback to get on top of him and then boxing them out. There is no reason Coleman can't copy that move.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Coleman is raw. There are reviews out there from his Seminoles tape that it seems a lot of his plays have no route concept at all. Pretty much we move everyone to give you space, and then we lob the ball up and you go up to dunk on them. And he did that successfully. I'd imagine Brady saw that and say "imagine if we get him to run routes..." whereas Josh saw that the say "Imagine in rezone where I have no place to go with the ball ..."

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

And the other side of the coin is also true: Andy Reid says "I don't want to find out if Coleman can run routes, but I can imagine Worthy running free ..."

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

Beane sucks at drafting wrs. He traded back one spot with Carolina, foregoing the 5th year option on Coleman. He's not even confident enough in himself to be sure Coleman will last past his 4th year.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              I think with Coleman you’re hoping for an Eric Moulds type development with his route running becoming his main focus. If you get that then you got a steal.

If not then you’re potential getting a Kelvin Benjamin type. Though I do think Coleman’s burst and agility is better than Benjamin.

Benjamin -
              40 - 4.61
              10S - 1.62
              Vertical - 32.5
              Broad - 119

Coleman -
              40 - 4.61
              10S - 1.54
              Vertical - 38
              Broad - 127

yeah, the pro comps are always a little fun, as long as they are taken with a grain of salt.

There was one over the weekend I considered.

I'll give Lance Zierlien's review of the guy I was thinking of:

40-Yard Dash 4.53

10-Yard Split 1.55

Vertical Jump 38.5’’
              Broad Jump 10’ 2’’
              Bench Press 27

Overview

Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

Strengths

Highly competitive at everything he does. Consistently productive over three seasons. Fearless play demeanor with alpha swagger. Uses hands to swat coverage jam and release from press. Big, presentable target on slants and in zone work. Leverages and stems his way to open catch space. Plays with patience and poise to win combat catches. Strong hands and well-respected ball skills. Outworks opponents to carve out work space in tight quarters. Wins jump balls with well-timed leaps and frame to shield the finish. Stiff-arm getaways after the catch. Junkyard dog who is willing to scrap as a blocker. Can clinch and manhandle finesse corners in space.

Weaknesses

Feet not quick enough in stutter-release vs. press. Tends to wear tight, press coverage for much of the route. Downhill speed fails to threaten most cornerbacks. NFL corners likely to squat on and squeeze his breaks and turns. Too upright slowing his route breaks. Suffered from a few focus drops headed into traffic. Needs better urgency getting up the field after catch. Below-average stop-start quickness to elude and accelerate. Wasn't a major factor in red zone.

Sources Tell Us

"All this talk about (his lack of) separation is overdone. In the league, nobody gets that much separation anyway. You have to know how to use your body and route leverage and you need strong hands. From what I've seen of him, he does all that stuff well." -- Wide receivers coach with AFC team

Hint 1: Its not Gabe Davis

Hint 2: He was drafted around the same area of the draft.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                Beane sucks at drafting wrs. He traded back one spot with Carolina, foregoing the 5th year option on Coleman. He's not even confident enough in himself to be sure Coleman will last past his 4th year.
                From what I read it was possibly a cost saving move and if Keon brings it… he will be extended after year 3

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                  There are reports his team interviews do not go well. To reporters, talking about Macy's clothes, sharing cookies are fun and genuine stuff. But I know there are management types looking all of those seemingly innocent details and wondering why this guy is not 100% on football in this setting, or lack of self control eating stuff like cookies.
                  His football responses were fine, pretty good actually.
                  Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                  Coleman is raw. There are reviews out there from his Seminoles tape that it seems a lot of his plays have no route concept at all. Pretty much we move everyone to give you space, and then we lob the ball up and you go up to dunk on them. And he did that successfully. I'd imagine Brady saw that and say "imagine if we get him to run routes..." whereas Josh saw that the say "Imagine in rezone where I have no place to go with the ball ..."
                  He addressed that in the press conference, specifically a receiver's responsibilities in an Air Raid offense like the Seminoles run versus the Pro style of Michigan State.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                    From what I read it was possibly a cost saving move and if Keon brings it… he will be extended after year 3
                    Sends a terrible message to the organization if they need to save on that cost.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                      Hint 1: Its not Gabe Davis

Hint 2: He was drafted around the same area of the draft.
                      Ooh! Ooh!!

YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sahlensguy
                        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        His football responses were fine, pretty good actually.
                        Yeah, not sure what the problem is.

Here's Josh's introduction press conference - who didn't fly solo. Maybe that Keon didn't have the suit, Bills pin and hat rubbed some the wrong way.

On a side note, Tremaine was a great guy and built! Sucks he didn't work out.

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Well, he hasn't used a pick in rounds 1-3 in Buffalo to draft as WR.

I was fine with what they got out of Gabe Davis as a low 4th round pick.
                          And I'm happy what they had/have in Shakir as a 5th round pick.

But those are rounds where you say, "if he works out, great, if not...its the 4th or 5th round."

But there was a reason he used a 1st round pick to trade for Diggs. Because as you said, his ability to find a difference maker, a go to guy, is a bit spotty.
                          So he traded for a proven commodity. I maintain that was a wise decision.

Here, he has put the WR corps in a situation where you have to nail the 1st round pick, no ifs, ands or buts.

And I have my doubts as to whether he did.

He could have used the 2nd rounder as trade capital to move up for Brian Thomas, but apparently chose not to.

This don't work out, he has some serious questions to answer. And I maintain, it could be a termination worthy offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                          Ooh! Ooh!!

Give it to me Horseshack!

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                            Well, he hasn't used a pick in rounds 1-3 in Buffalo to draft as WR.

I was fine with what they got out of Gabe Davis as a low 4th round pick.
                            And I'm happy what they had/have in Shakir as a 5th round pick.

But those are rounds where you say, "if he works out, great, if not...its the 4th or 5th round."

But there was a reason he used a 1st round pick to trade for Diggs. Because as you said, his ability to find a difference maker, a go to guy, is a bit spotty.
                            So he traded for a proven commodity. I maintain that was a wise decision.

Here, he has put the WR corps in a situation where you have to nail the 1st round pick, no ifs, ands or buts.

And I have my doubts as to whether he did.

He could have used the 2nd rounder as trade capital to move up for Brian Thomas, but apparently chose not to.

This don't work out, he has some serious questions to answer. And I maintain, it could be a termination worthy offense.

- - - Updated - - -

Give it to me Horseshack!
                            Beane could have traded up for BTJ or taken Coleman at 28 or traded up later for a 2nd wr or just drafted another wr. He did none of that. No conviction in his moves for a wr.

Comment

• cookie G
                              • Mar 2003

Beane could have traded up for BTJ or taken Coleman at 28 or traded up later for a 2nd wr or just drafted another wr. He did none of that. No conviction in his moves for a wr.
                              As Thomas kept falling, I was actually assuming to hear a trade up. Never happened, and apparently, he didn't try.

I the 3rd, when they took Carter, guys like Lil Bro McCaffery, Troy Franklin and Javon Baker were still on the board.

McCaffery is about as good of an athlete as his older brother, a tinge faster, and has only been playing WR for 2 years (and had around 900 yards last year. )
                              Don't know what scared them off about Franklin
                              Javon Baker had shown himself capable of being a good intermediate and deep threat.

They were all good hedges against a potential bust of Coleman, or at least adding a potential deep threat. He chose not to do so.

This year, the "he wasn't as high on our board" defense isn't going to cut it.

Comment

• Woodman
                                Legendary Zoner
                                • Apr 2014

Bills draft picks 2024 analysis- How the new players fit with the team

‘It seemed clear to me that general manager Brandon Beane was hoping that LSU’s Brian Thomas would fall to No. 28 in the first round, but the Jaguars took him at No. 23. We don’t know whether Beane tried to trade up to get in position to pick the player who was widely regarded as the best receiver prospect after the undeniable top threesome of Marvin Harrison Jr., Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze, all of whom went in the first nine picks, but I’d guess that he was working the phones pretty hard.’

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                                X