Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Keon Coleman

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Keon Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    hmmm.

When Beane got here, he was peddling the big WR line. WRs who were endzone targets, who could block for Shady McCoy

Thus, Andre Holmes;
    Thus, not only signing Kelvin Benjamin, but trading for him.

The result...

dead last in passing;
    31st in scoring;
    a whopping 267 points scored.

It couldn't have failed any more spectacular. And it didn't get any better until he brought in more speed with Beasely and John Brown. He HAD to. Because he couldn't continue with his plan A. And it didn't take off until he traded for Diggs.

So when I hear the talk of getting bigger...I'm pretty leery...and justifiably so.
    thats really not the reality in 2018, yes Bean traded for Kelvin but lets remember that in 2018 there were 4 o-lineman that wasn't on the roster in 2019.. in fact the only player to start in 2019 besides Allen was Dawkins so that tells everything you need to no.

Pos Player Age Yrs GS Summary of Player Stats Drafted (tm/rnd/yr)
    Offensive Starters
    QB Josh Allen 22 Rook 11 169 for 320, 2,074 yards, 10 td, 12 int, & 89 rushes for 631 yards and 8 td
    RB LeSean McCoy 30 9 13 161 rushes for 514 yards, 3 td, & 34 catches for 238 yards and 0 td
    FB Patrick DiMarco 29 6 5 1 rush for 9 yards, 0 td, & 3 catches for 62 yards and 0 td
    WR Kelvin Benjamin 27 4 10 23 catches for 354 yards, 1 td
    WR Zay Jones 23 1 15 56 catches for 652 yards, 7 td, & 1 rush for yards and 0 td
    TE Charles Clay 29 7 12 21 catches for 184 yards, 0 td
    LT Dion Dawkins 24 1 16 1 fumble recovered
    LG Vlad Ducasse 31 8 9
    C Russell Bodine 26 4 10
    RG John Miller 25 3 15
    RT Jordan Mills

Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I also want to point out the distinction between #1 receiver and X receiver. To me #1 receiver means the best receiver on a team whereas X receiver is more technical in terms of what they are asked to do, like working on boundary for the most part, more responsible for blocking etc. Often #1 = X receiver on a team. You can argue for the Bills, #1 receiver was Diggs whereas Davis was the X receiver. And you see Davis often out snapped Diggs because Diggs is more suited for blocking etc.

In that sense, I agree with quite a lot of people in the media that Coleman is a replacement for Davis, likely a better version. Can he be a #1 on this Bills team? We don't know. And I hope he's not right now because it means this guy is the best WR on the Bills team without even playing one single down in NFL. Now who is the #1 receiver on this Bills team? By default, it is Shakir because Diggs is gone and other guys have not played a down for the Bills. That's where the uncertainty comes in. Is Shakir better than Diggs? Career wise, definitely a NO. In the latest sample, like last season, you see Diggs started hot but you can say Shakir out performed him late in the season, including the playoffs. Projecting forward for 2024 season, the Bills obviously decided Diggs is not going to be that much better than Shakir or whoever they signed and drafted.

Bottom line is if you expect Coleman to produce more than Davis from the X receiver role, you may feel better about this pick.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,102 Times in 4,290 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I also want to point out the distinction between #1 receiver and X receiver. To me #1 receiver means the best receiver on a team whereas X receiver is more technical in terms of what they are asked to do, like working on boundary for the most part, more responsible for blocking etc. Often #1 = X receiver on a team. You can argue for the Bills, #1 receiver was Diggs whereas Davis was the X receiver. And you see Davis often out snapped Diggs because Diggs is more suited for blocking etc.

In that sense, I agree with quite a lot of people in the media that Coleman is a replacement for Davis, likely a better version. Can he be a #1 on this Bills team? We don't know. And I hope he's not right now because it means this guy is the best WR on the Bills team without even playing one single down in NFL. Now who is the #1 receiver on this Bills team? By default, it is Shakir because Diggs is gone and other guys have not played a down for the Bills. That's where the uncertainty comes in. Is Shakir better than Diggs? Career wise, definitely a NO. In the latest sample, like last season, you see Diggs started hot but you can say Shakir out performed him late in the season, including the playoffs. Projecting forward for 2024 season, the Bills obviously decided Diggs is not going to be that much better than Shakir or whoever they signed and drafted.

Bottom line is if you expect Coleman to produce more than Davis from the X receiver role, you may feel better about this pick.
    I think a lot of people will be surprised by Samuel's production

4. Post thanked by:

POTLAND PSILBYLO (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,737 Times in 7,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by TacklingDummy View Post
    Nope not trying to be funny. Trying to be hopeful and 11 TDs hopefully would shut up the Diggs trade haters.
    What REALLY matters is how many TD's in the playoffs.

It cannot be repeated enough that Stefon Diggs was **** in the playoffs, ESPECIALLY in every one of the four loses during his time here.

In NINE playoff games Diggs had TWO TD's.

In the four playoff losses, Diggs had ZERO TD's. His stats for those four games is beyond ****ty.

35 targets
    16 catches (45.71%)
    140 yards
    35 yards average per game
    ZERO TD

In Diggs full seven year career, and in 14 total playoff games, he has only FOUR TD catches.

For comparison sake, Travis Kelce in his nine year career, and 22 playoff games has NINETEEN TD catches. 81.7% catch %. 86.6 average yards per game.

Coleman has the opportunity to be the big target that can come down with contested balls, as Josh has never had.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,436 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    I had an interesting conversation with a couple of my friends recently on Samuel. First look back on the 2019 season. Allen had a meh rookie season. We all saw Benjamin couldn't run any more so he's gone. Zay Jones would be traded mid season as well. Beane brought in John Brown who he courted before, and Beasley. So the top WRs were Brown, Beasley, Robert Foster, Isaiah McKenzie. Brown, Beasley, Foster all had (near) their career highs that year. That's when I became a believer of Allen. But before Brown and Beasley were brought in, who did we have in WRs?

Now in 2024, after Diggs trade, you can ask the same question - who do we have? One of my friends compared Samuel to Brown signing in 2019. I don't like Samuel's injury history, thus not a reliable target in my mind, but if he stays healthy, it would not shock me he gets his career high. We need some luck, just like we had with John Brown, getting a healthy year from Samuel.

Unlike 2019, we do have Shakir, our home grown talent. If he gets Beasley's production in 2019 this year, I'd actually be disappointed. Samuel, like Brown and Beasley, is a veteran in NFL and known ceiling. Receivers with untapped talent/ceiling are generally not available in the FA market. At this point I don't see Shakir goes the way of Zay Jones to be traded away mid-season.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    not me, I expect a pro bowl performance with Allen spinning the rock, the guy didn't have crap throwing to him in Washington.

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,851 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Allen in his previous life:

Thanks
    Thanked 30,618 Times in 17,485 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by cookie G View Post
    Still talking about "can't get separation" stuff?

Again, I posted a vid of each of his catches and targets in 2023 (post 137). Im...not seeing the separation, except in a blown coverage/missing assignment situation.

A training video doesn't change that. I hope he gets better. Reaching out to Andre Reed was a good first step. Because gaining separation and more importantly, making the contested catch, won't be easier in the NFL.
    I think you're under-estimating how much he did get separation. It's more than a blown coverage or two.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS