Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Recaps 2024 NFL Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 5,112 Times in 3,590 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Brandon Recaps 2024 NFL Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes that NFL teams can make in the draft is to reach for a player because he fills a position of need, drafting him higher than his talent justifies in a desperate attempt to find a Day One impact player. That’s a mistake that Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman says he won’t make.
    I don't put too much stock in that. If a player busts, the 20/20 hindsight kicks in and "he was taken too early" is thrown around. If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,670 Times in 6,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Goobylal View Post
    If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.
    Except we all know Tom Brady was pick #199 .... 6th round ........ we sure hear about that one over and over and over again. Another one would be Tyreek Hill he was drafted in the 5th round ..... we hear that almost everyday as well.
    WR Coleman DB Bishop DT Carter RB Davis C Granger
    LB Ulofoshio DE Solomon
    OT Grable CB Hardy OT Clayton

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 3,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    Put a fork in it!
    you must be fun at parties

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,425 Times in 3,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    you must be fun at parties

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.
    He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.
    This guy is 23 ... he has a shot .... but it will definitely take time .... I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.
    He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I’ve been on record for liking the pick. It’s a lottery pick for sure but just as with a lottery pick comes with a huge upside.

12. Post thanked by:

Bill Cody (04-30-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.
    I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha

Thanks
    Thanked 3,430 Times in 2,007 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.

15. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (04-30-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.
    Yeah let's hope the Bears suck again!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha
    you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%
    Hey I would have liked to see it but I don't know if that 2% at another position would a compromised him getting to the Hall of Fame at his one position or not.

I'm not going to second guess those who guided him to the Hall.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Initial draft grade is puke.

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I'm sure he could have played D line. Physical freak

Thanks
    Thanked 5,112 Times in 3,590 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Chet View Post
    Initial draft grade is puke.

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train
    It's more likely they get 2-3 immediate starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran-Granger) and several other major contributors than just the center panning out.

23. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-02-2024)