• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Brandon Recaps 2024 NFL Draft

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
    Grading a draft after it happens is a fool's errand. Remember the 2022 draft? It looked like a total joke. We ended up getting 3 starters and would have had a punter.
    Grading a draft right after it happens isn't grading for performance, I don't know why anybody thinks it is or should be.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

This is what I have to say about that.

We killed this draft absolutely killed it.

Now have a nice day.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Woodman View Post

This is what I have to say about that.

We killed this draft absolutely killed it.

Now have a nice day.

Put a fork in it!

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Grading a draft after it happens is a fool's errand. Remember the 2022 draft? It looked like a total joke. We ended up getting 3 starters and would have had a punter.
          Maybe we got it right (2024 Draft) maybe we didn't we'll know in a couple years.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

It's way too early for these predictions. I like the promise many of the draft picks have. Some had Carter as the 3rd best DT in the draft and some had Davis as the best RB in the draft. The 5th round DE led FBS in sacks last year. The C will be a starter sooner than later and anchored the UGA line the past 3 seasons (2 of them championship ones). Even the 6th and later picks have promise as 2 are 300#+ guys who run a sub-4.85 40. I didn't get the 5th round LB but I said the same thing about Bernard. I'm not saying they'll all or mostly hit, but it's not like they picked a bunch of scrubs.

As for WR, I never expected them to draft more than 1. And as for Rice, teams passed him over again and again. You could easily get what he'll produce this year from any of the FA WRs still out there (and I'm hoping they sign someone).
            One of the biggest mistakes that NFL teams can make in the draft is to reach for a player because he fills a position of need, drafting him higher than his talent justifies in a desperate attempt to find a Day One impact player. That’s a mistake that Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman says he won’t make.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

One of the biggest mistakes that NFL teams can make in the draft is to reach for a player because he fills a position of need, drafting him higher than his talent justifies in a desperate attempt to find a Day One impact player. That’s a mistake that Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman says he won’t make.
              I don't put too much stock in that. If a player busts, the 20/20 hindsight kicks in and "he was taken too early" is thrown around. If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

If he booms, you don't hear a peep about where he was taken.
                Except we all know Tom Brady was pick #199 .... 6th round ........ we sure hear about that one over and over and over again. Another one would be Tyreek Hill he was drafted in the 5th round ..... we hear that almost everyday as well.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                  Put a fork in it!
                  you must be fun at parties

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                      you must be fun at parties

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.
                        He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

He played rugby .... can you imagine him running right at you with bad intentions?

He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.

Comment

• Woodman
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Apr 2014

He would run me over like a compactor

This is like a novice taking a pottery class. The instructor gives you a block of clay and a wheel and shows you how to make a vase or whatever. This guy doesn't know what he doesn't know. He has to change his body and learn American football from square one. The good news is you get the exemption and he has time to develop. Or not. Probably didn't need to draft him but we did. Interested to see what he has.
                              This guy is 23 ... he has a shot .... but it will definitely take time .... I think.

Comment

• Mad Max
                                Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                                Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.
                                He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.

Comment

Working...
                                X