• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Re: Brandon Recaps 2024 NFL Draft

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
    I have decided to adopt Travis Clayton as my personal binky. I just love the story.

I did this once before and it worked out ok. The guy's name was Jason Peters. Peters was a huge, freak athlete with no real position. The Bills signed him as an UDFA. They tried him at TE where he had some experience and he had trouble memorizing the playbook. So they moved him to the OL. His next stop is Canton.

Odds of Clayton amounting to anything are low. But just the notion of a 305 lb man running a 4.7 40 is fascinating. I'm in.
    I’ve been on record for liking the pick. It’s a lottery pick for sure but just as with a lottery pick comes with a huge upside.

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
      He wasn’t miscast but he WAS underutilized.

So many teams have used special packages for defensive players on offense (and vice versa), Vrabel, Bryan Cox, Edelman, JJ Watt, The Fridge, Deon…

Your best players can/should learn a secondary role for certain situations.
      I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha

Comment

• Ed
        • Sep 2002

They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.

Comment

• sahlensguy
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Ed View Post
          They drafted 10 players. Using their 10th pick on player that's eligible for a roster exemption makes sense considering any other 7th rounder at that point is going to have little chance to make the team.

One of my favorite moves that I don't think is getting enough attention is that Beane was able to trade one of their four 5th rounders for the Bears 4th round pick next year.
          Yeah let's hope the Bears suck again!

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
            I mean, I'm not going to argue that a sure to be Hall of Fame player, playing at a position that he didn't come in the league playing, was underutilized, but I get your point. Guy was a monster who could really move.

All I remember is I thought he could be the next Bruce Smith and was sure disappointed when they put him on the OL. Haha
            you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
              you can argue the word but the definition means not being used to fullest potential.

that could mean 50% or 2% underutilized…you know I was referring to the 2%
              Hey I would have liked to see it but I don't know if that 2% at another position would a compromised him getting to the Hall of Fame at his one position or not.

I'm not going to second guess those who guided him to the Hall.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                • Mar 2015

Comment

• Chet
                  Allenhu Joshbar
                  • Feb 2017

Initial draft grade is puke.

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                    Yeah I remember Mouldsie pumping us up us up about Jason Peters, before we sign them. And then in preseason, Jason Peters blocked a punt by the falcons rushing from the interior, recovered it, and returned it for a TD. Since then I always thought he was miscast by not putting him on the defensive line. Oh well I guess he did pretty good for himself.
                    I'm sure he could have played D line. Physical freak

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Chet View Post

This was an awful board, hopefully the Center pans out because the rest are plumbers and furniture movers.

Maybe we get lucky and Coleman is crazy-skilled but just slow like D-Hop or Brandon Marshall. Either way, we drafted a guy to be our #1 who has the 40 speed of an edge rusher.

I would make a Koolaid joke about now but no spiked Koolaid in the world could conjure up some of these positive outlooks. The city of Buffalo clearly has a good package in town. Maybe some Blue Magic or WMD. Be careful out there guys…don’t forget to grab some naloxone from CVS before you ride the H train
                      It's more likely they get 2-3 immediate starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran-Granger) and several other major contributors than just the center panning out.

Comment

• Mad Max
                        Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                        • Mar 2003

You’ve made it your job to jab at your nemesis haven’t you.

you are constantly chumming hahaha

Comment

• Chet
                          Allenhu Joshbar
                          • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                          It's more likely they get 2-3 immediate starters (Coleman, Bishop and Van Pran-Granger) and several other major contributors than just the center panning out.
                          I’ll bet you $100 only Coleman of those 3 is starting Week 1 regular season

Comment

• Goobylal
                            • Jan 2004

I’ll bet you $100 only Coleman of those 3 is starting Week 1 regular season
                            You're on.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                              • Mar 2015

Wow. I'm not sure Coleman starts wk 1.

Comment

• Chet
                                Allenhu Joshbar
                                • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post