Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Draft review and grade (for posterity)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,465 Times in 7,314 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: My Draft review and grade (for posterity)

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I don’t think many of you saw Davis play at Kentucky. I would expect him to become a significant part of the rotation by the end of the season.

I don't think many saw any of these players they are *****ing about play.

Haha...yeah you think so ? Mace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,507 Times in 9,196 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I'm going to give it a C across the board atm on initial impression. I thought it was an avg draft and uninspiring. If this was last year, knocked it out of the park. Wr heavy draft we took one...the perfect wr2.

I like Coleman, he's fierce, passionate about playing with Allen, and his media appearance made me love him more. I don't see him as Kelvin Benjamin...I see him as TJ Houshmanzadeh. So...Legette/Coleman....Coleman/Mitchell....or Coleman/Franklin would have excited me. I dunno about Coleman/Shakir//Samuel.

Bishop will not start, nor will center SVPG. Bishop will get sub package snaps...SVPG...will get some small snaps at guard. That's pattern unless McGovern gets hurt or goes woeful. Sub par center will be tolerable enough to not start the rookie.

Davis is no scat back, he,s a bowling ball who loves contact and has soft hands...by the same token... punishing Estime was still there. Everyone else looks crapshoot to me, depth or special teams.

I guess I expected a more urgent draft. I'm not happy with it, but can't project results ..sincerely wish these kids the best...hope for it too..
    But Beane's credibility here is now McDermott level dubious to me, imo...and away we go.

3. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-28-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm going to give it a C across the board atm on initial impression. I thought it was an avg draft and uninspiring. If this was last year, knocked it out of the park. Wr heavy draft we took one...the perfect wr2.

I like Coleman, he's fierce, passionate about playing with Allen, and his media appearance made me love him more. I don't see him as Kelvin Benjamin...I see him as TJ Houshmanzadeh. So...Legette/Coleman....Coleman/Mitchell....or Coleman/Franklin would have excited me. I dunno about Coleman/Shakir//Samuel.

Bishop will not start, nor will center SVPG. Bishop will get sub package snaps...SVPG...will get some small snaps at guard. That's pattern unless McGovern gets hurt or goes woeful. Sub par center will be tolerable enough to not start the rookie.

Davis is no scat back, he,s a bowling ball who loves contact and has soft hands...by the same token... punishing Estime was still there. Everyone else looks crapshoot to me, depth or special teams.

I guess I expected a more urgent draft. I'm not happy with it, but can't project results ..sincerely wish these kids the best...hope for it too..
    But Beane's credibility here is now McDermott level dubious to me, imo...and away we go.
    Yep. I don’t hate the picks overall, as opposed to not liking the fact that it “appears” that we passed up opportunities to acquire more potentially explosive players in lieu of taking safer lower ceiling players.

I would have taken Leggette and Estime/Guerendo over Coleman and Davis for example.

Coleman feels like a potentially better Gave Davis replacement but is that what you’re trying to score with your first pick of the draft?

Davis looks a lot like Motor to me in style. A little heavier I guess but will he really be more effective than Motor? I loved Motor don’t get me wrong, but he wasn’t a game breaker…Guerendo could be.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,632 Times in 17,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DraftBoy View Post
    I don’t think many of you saw Davis play at Kentucky. I would expect him to become a significant part of the rotation by the end of the season.
    Maybe.

History of this regime belies a 'significant rotation' with the backfield, so I don't know why this season will be any different.

And we'll see how much he likes contact when he's getting hit by football players, not insurance salesmen.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 24,471 Times in 14,179 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Maybe.

History of this regime belies a 'significant rotation' with the backfield, so I don't know why this season will be any different.

And we'll see how much he likes contact when he's getting hit by football players, not insurance salesmen.
    It isn’t like he played in the Pac 12, he was getting hit by future NFL’ers every week at Kentucky.
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Maybe.

SEC is a bunch of insurance salesmen? Really?
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

8. Post thanked by:

kgun12 (04-30-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 3,882 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
    Bunch of Jakes...from State Farm.

Registered User kscdogbillsfan1221's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 2,090 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Half the sec can’t spell insurance, much less sell it

Thanks
    Thanked 1,506 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He’s not wrong. Less than 2 percent make it to the pros from the college ranks. Quadruple that number to weight the SEC and you’re still under 8 Percent. So you’re playing against teams 92 percent full of future insurance salesmen.

12. Post thanked by:

YardRat (04-29-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 3,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

If the English Ol guy can't cut it at tackle maybe he could play x receiver. He's over 300 lbs and almost as fast as Coleman

Thanks
    Thanked 30,632 Times in 17,492 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

There were 33 SEC defenders drafted this year. The team that Davis rang up a full 1/4 of his total rushing yards against in one game, Florida, had zero. Alabama 12 for 26...Georgia 15 for 59...Tennessee 16 for 42. Not so hot against teams with players. Other than Florida, his other high YPC games came against Akron and Ball State.

He just looks like Motor-Lite to me, and that's not really good enough. For me, anyway.

Hey, I'm a Bama/SEC guy, but the big league is still a significant step up, even for those guys.

Asst to Dean Vernon Wormer POTLAND PSILBYLO's Avatar
    Portland, Oregon Cocoa Mate: Mandy Pepperidge
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,865 Times in 3,386 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cody View Post
    If the English Ol guy can't cut it at tackle maybe he could play x receiver. He's over 300 lbs and almost as fast as Coleman
    I think one of our OL draftees was a QB, so, lineup off center, snap it to Allen under center, but keep it, jump pass it to your 309# Tackle-Chappie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I predicted they would try and stretch out the bucket and squander some value in the process by reaching for players who won't return the value. Looks like they did exactly that: A.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,755 Times in 7,803 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian'eh! View Post
    I'm willing to stand by what I think of this draft, so i'm gonna do a little review. Lets just say I HOPE i'm proven wrong.

Round 1 - Traded out. For the record, I would have been working the phones like a mad man when Brian Thomas Jr reached the late teens. But, even if not possible, I would NOT have given the Chiefs what they wanted at WR just on principle. Getting a 3rd though was good mind you, but then they compounded it by moving to 33 and passing on Leggette.

Day Grade: Grade D

Round 2: Good god.
    33 - Keon Coleman WR- For months I've been in the "anyone but Keon" camp. He has bust written all over him. Pick grade: F-
    60 - Cole Bishop S - I just didn't get it really. AS far as scheme fits he didn't make the most sense to me. The Bills have always been about coverage at S and playing deep middle and Bishop's best bet is in the box. I'm not convinced he can be great in coverage at the NFL level. Pick Grade: C+

For the record, I would have taken Mitchell at WR or Leggette, if I coudn't move up of BTJ.
    At S I was hoping for a move up for Nubin or Bullard to last. Otherwise I liked Tykee Smith, though he went before 95 in the end. I'd be happy to gamble on Kinchens at 95 too.

Round 3:
    95 - DeWayne Carter DT: Not the worst pick, but to me he's VERY limited in the pass rush. McKinley Jackson and Jordan Jefferson who went not long after both have far more upside IMO and are better run stoppers already. Pick Grade: C-

Day Grade: F. Keon makes the whole draft a bust.

Day 3:

Round 4:
    128- Ray Davis RB- I came into the draft hoping they would draft a pile moving back and while Davis has some of that. The dude is 25 and has a LOT of carries for 25. So, 4 years and done? Many comparisons to Zack Moss.To make it worse, Brealon Allen, Isaac Guerendo, and Audric Estime were still available. Also... TJ Tampa and Nahiem Pritchett were still there, and I liked them both at CB. Grade: D

Round 5:
    141- Sedrick Van Pran-Granger C: Finally a pick i really like. I had him as the second best C behind Powers-Johnson. Good Value in round 5. Pick Grade A-
    144- Traded for a 4th next year. Again Josh Newton was still there at CB.
    160- Edefuan Ulofoshio LB - A project at LB with a lonf injury history rarely on the field. Doens't love contact. Feels very Special teams like. Grade D+
    168- Jevon Solomon EDGE - Another pick i liked. 16 sacks but played in the sun belt. Still... there was a couple descent pass rushers have come out of troy before. Grade: B+

Round 6:
    204- Tylan Grable OT - Doesn't have the arm length to play OT in the NFL. Will be a project that kcks inside to G. Very possibly PS material. Grade: C
    219 - Daequon Hardy CB - very good athlete but unfortunately small. Best suited to play in the slot. I can't see him starting ever. Grade: C-

Round 7:
    221- Travis Clayton - Huge rugby player who's never played football in his life. Grade: D-

Day grade: C

Aside from Van Pran-Granger and Solomon I don't love much at all. It feels like there were a LOT of missed opportunites and some very strange choices. They had a huge numer of over aged 5th year seniors.

Keon Coleman alone should push the grade to an F....

But I'll be generous and give them a D.

Beane and McD should be on notice. Wasting Josh Allen's prime has gone on long enough. Von Miller signing. Diggs extension and need to bail out. Kaiir Elam busting.

I'm already over McD and if Keon is as bad as I expect, he can take his buddy with him. Maybe Carolina will be looking.
    My grade for your "Draft review and grade"....F

What a bunch of claptrap baloney.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 6,205 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by POTLAND PSILBYLO View Post
    I think one of our OL draftees was a QB, so, lineup off center, snap it to Allen under center, but keep it, jump pass it to your 309# Tackle-Chappie.
    Bowling would be good for you.
    WR Coleman #33 DB Bishop #60 DT Carter #95 RB Davis #128 C Granger #141
    LB Ulofoshio #160 DE Solomon #168
    OT Grable #204 CB Hardy #219 OT Clayton #221