Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Wonder Beane fell in love with Coleman

Thanks
    Thanked 2,440 Times in 1,524 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

No Wonder Beane fell in love with Coleman

The authenticity of this young man, just like RG3 surmmarized at the end is the best I've seen, even better than Josh when he came in as a green rookie. And the guy has a good head on his shoulders - RG3 kept talking about sponsorship to Coleman due to his personality, so what is Coleman's response? "The deals don't work unless you catch touchdowns, man!"

Shout out to RG3 who did quite a bit of homework for the podcast. He knows Coleman works with WR training gurus like David Robinson and Delfonte Diamond etc. Just like Allen's earlier years, hopefully some of these trainings bear fruits.

2. Post thanked by:

Jeff1220 (05-03-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: No Wonder Beane fell in love with Coleman

Googles big data is on my trails - these video pops on screen as soon as I sign into Youtube.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,425 Times in 3,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    The authenticity of this young man, just like RG3 surmmarized at the end is the best I've seen, even better than Josh when he came in as a green rookie. And the guy has a good head on his shoulders - RG3 kept talking about sponsorship to Coleman due to his personality, so what is Coleman's response? "The deals don't work unless you catch touchdowns, man!"

Shout out to RG3 who did quite a bit of homework for the podcast. He knows Coleman works with WR training gurus like David Robinson and Delfonte Diamond etc. Just like Allen's earlier years, hopefully some of these trainings bear fruits.

Yet you could see how some might have a problem with his introduction press conference?

Well I'm glad you came around.

And yeah, better than Josh's introduction press conference - Tremaine was awesome in that one, btw.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Q: what are you looking most forward to?

A: Winning. Getting on the field. Playing with Josh Allen. Interacting with Bills Mafia. We Got the best fans in the country. Bills Mafia man. I hope they let me jump through a table.

-he reached out to Andre Reed to get some nuggets
    -“I don’t have a life outside of football”
    -I play golf and Bowl a little bit, 9/10 QBs and ST play those they try to eliminate useless distractions . Helps us bond.

Bros gonna be Josh’ new “little brother” real quick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Don’t suck please.

I like his authenticity and it looks like he has some dog in him, which this team sorely needs. Just be good, I hate mediocre football players.

I can’t watch anything with master race baiter RG3.

7. Post thanked by:

sahlensguy (05-01-2024),Thurmal (05-01-2024)

Unreachable Douche
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,932 Times in 4,380 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Seems like a nice kid. Hope he becomes a star.

9. Post thanked by:

Novacane (05-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,466 Times in 7,315 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I like everything I've heard out of Coleman too but did Beane really "fall in love" with him? If I love a player I'm not going to trade down 5 spots and risk losing him.

11. Post thanked by:

Chet (05-01-2024),OpIv37 (05-01-2024),sahlensguy (05-01-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

I posted in another thread that outside of the top 3, Beane wanted Brian Thomas Jr. because he admitted trying to trade up but not wanting to give up pick #60. That obviously failed based on where BTJ is picked. Among the remaining WRs, they are very well rated equally but each may have a different strong trait, and a different weakness. Listen to Beane's interview with Pat McAfee yesterday; Beane stressed people don't have the info they have - I interpret it as they have some intel who the Chiefs like, and who the Panthers like, who the 49ers like, who the Pats like etc. It won't be 100% of course but NFL front offices/scouts are a small, inbred community. Beane is not a newbie here. There is a strong indication that the Pats may be in on Keon Coleman as well, judging by the fact they traded out right after the Bills pick and then went back in to pick a WR. I won't be shocked the Pats even called the Bills for pick #33.

To me, the interesting comparison is Legette and Coleman - Beane might be fine with each. Both are projected to be the X receiver type the Bills prefer. Legette is 2.5 year older than Coleman with one year huge college production, but he maybe a late boomer. Coleman, of course, is relatively raw but a higher upside (and lower floor).

13. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-02-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,670 Times in 6,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    I like everything I've heard out of Coleman too but did Beane really "fall in love" with him? If I love a player I'm not going to trade down 5 spots and risk losing him.
    He had several choices at that point.

He got who he wanted ....... depending on how broad your definition is.
    WR Coleman DB Bishop DT Carter RB Davis C Granger
    LB Ulofoshio DE Solomon
    OT Grable CB Hardy OT Clayton

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,111 Times in 4,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

We all want this guy to succeed, but his personality makes me want him to succeed even more.

Dude is genuine and seems like he doesn't really care about anything but being the best WR he can be and the best teammate he can be.

16. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (05-02-2024),sahlensguy (05-01-2024),YardRat (05-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,425 Times in 3,888 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    We all want this guy to succeed, but his personality makes me want him to succeed even more.

Dude is genuine and seems like he doesn't really care about anything but being the best WR he can be and the best teammate he can be.
    I liked how in his introduction press conference, he addressed his number 4 that he wore at Florida. He said it belongs here to Cook and he didn't care. He'll go with 0 and rock with that.

No fragile ego built up around a jersey number.

Dude was brought up well, and in a hostile environment too.

I wish him the best.

18. Post thanked by:

Cntrygal (05-02-2024),Historian (05-03-2024),YardRat (05-01-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,111 Times in 4,296 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by sahlensguy View Post
    I liked how in his introduction press conference, he addressed his number 4 that he wore at Florida. He said it belongs here to Cook and he didn't care. He'll go with 0 and rock with that.

No fragile ego built up around a jersey number.

Dude was brought up well, and in a hostile environment too.

I wish him the best.
    He certainly seems grounded, doesn't he. Not the type to tweet out cryptic tweets and post pictures of himself wearing $5000 purses around his neck.

20. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-03-2024),Lone Stranger (05-02-2024),Novacane (05-01-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 3,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He certainly seems grounded, doesn't he. Not the type to tweet out cryptic tweets and post pictures of himself wearing $5000 purses around his neck.
    Getting jackets from Macey's a couple seasons ahead to get a deal isn't diva material is it? That's great stuff. But he's still a kid who's only been in the league for a minute so we'll see.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,972 Times in 3,512 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    The trouble was there was a group of receivers still available at 28 and they all had warts. Being a good drafter means not falling in love. When I was obsessively playing "draft simulator" I had my favorites but if a trade presents itself or the board veers another way you have to be flexible. We all were predicting with the list of needs the Bills had that this was the year Beane would be stingy about burning picks. Clearly they hoped to recoup a pick in the 3rd round. That's easiest way to do that is moving down from the 1st, it just is.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,762 Times in 7,806 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    I posted in another thread that outside of the top 3, Beane wanted Brian Thomas Jr. because he admitted trying to trade up but not wanting to give up pick #60. That obviously failed based on where BTJ is picked. Among the remaining WRs, they are very well rated equally but each may have a different strong trait, and a different weakness. Listen to Beane's interview with Pat McAfee yesterday; Beane stressed people don't have the info they have - I interpret it as they have some intel who the Chiefs like, and who the Panthers like, who the 49ers like, who the Pats like etc. It won't be 100% of course but NFL front offices/scouts are a small, inbred community. Beane is not a newbie here. There is a strong indication that the Pats may be in on Keon Coleman as well, judging by the fact they traded out right after the Bills pick and then went back in to pick a WR. I won't be shocked the Pats even called the Bills for pick #33.

To me, the interesting comparison is Legette and Coleman - Beane might be fine with each. Both are projected to be the X receiver type the Bills prefer. Legette is 2.5 year older than Coleman with one year huge college production, but he maybe a late boomer. Coleman, of course, is relatively raw but a higher upside (and lower floor).
    I was also saying the same before the draft of wanting Brian Thomas and probably having to move up to get him. He was a perfect fit for the Bills. All that would prevent the Bills doing that was the price. And, yes, Beane made the smart decision not to overpay (with the #60 pick) especially when Thomas' (almost) clone in Keon Coleman was almost assuredly going to be there at #28.

They are both big WR's that have the ability to "play over the rim" on contested catches. EXACTLY what Josh and the Bills need, and what has been lacking in the WR room.

The biggest difference between the two (and why Thomas went #23 and Coleman #33) is their 40 time. So what? 40 yard speed is not the same as game speed.

In any event, Beane had Coleman at the top of his board (after Thomas) and he also knew what the teams ahead and behind the Bills pick were preferring. The Lions, Packers, Bucs and Cards that went before the Bills at #28 were not going to select Coleman.

Beane was prepared to use #28 to get their guy, but then KC got nervous and (somewhat) reached for Worthy.

Yes, Worthy was a (somewhat of a) reach at #28. The draft expert I respect the most Dane Brugler had Worthy well behind Coleman.

Brugler ranked Coleman #5 WR, and #28 overall....Worthy ranked #10 WR and #46 overall.

Beane had a gift land in his lap when KC traded to move up. It made their 4th round pick (#135) a much more valuable 3rd round pick at #95. Using that pick for a need and probable immediate rotational DT behind Oliver with DeWayne Carter.

Beane knew that KC was not going to pick Coleman and did not care if they made Worthy (or any other WR on the board at that point) their pick. Beane also knew that the Cowboys, Ravens and 49ers were not going after Coleman. Turns out that he was ready to use #32 for Coleman, but then another gift landed in his lap with Carolina moving up. They obviously had their guy, Legette, in their sites and did not want any other team trading with the Bills to get him.

The Panthers trade had the Bills moving up an astounding 59 picks turning #24 in the 6th round (#200 overall) into a high 5th round pick (#6 in the 5th round...#141 overall) where the possible future starting center in Sedrick Van- Pran-Granger came to Buffalo.

There are some that believe Pran-Granger could push McGovern for the starting C job this summer.

So, the Bills got who was probably at the top of their board...who Josh Allen was salivating over, and were able to get two more players that may not been available to them without the two trades.

Of course, Coleman still has a lot to prove. But that can and should be said about EVERY draft pick. There is every reason to believe that Coleman has all the tools and skill set that fits perfectly into what the Bills are evolving into with Joe Brady as OC, and what Josh Allen can help make a star at WR.

24. Post thanked by:

Historian (05-03-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,670 Times in 6,211 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

So far he looks like a fit around here.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,507 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

His energy is infectious. People like him make people around them feel better. When you feel better you perform better.

This is not going to be a down year. I’m talking to you opi.

27. Post thanked by:

johndhall1 (05-02-2024)

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,452 Times in 15,553 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Give him a year, lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,638 Times in 17,496 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    I was also saying the same before the draft of wanting Brian Thomas and probably having to move up to get him. He was a perfect fit for the Bills. All that would prevent the Bills doing that was the price. And, yes, Beane made the smart decision not to overpay (with the #60 pick) especially when Thomas' (almost) clone in Keon Coleman was almost assuredly going to be there at #28.

They are both big WR's that have the ability to "play over the rim" on contested catches. EXACTLY what Josh and the Bills need, and what has been lacking in the WR room.

The biggest difference between the two (and why Thomas went #23 and Coleman #33) is their 40 time. So what? 40 yard speed is not the same as game speed.

In any event, Beane had Coleman at the top of his board (after Thomas) and he also knew what the teams ahead and behind the Bills pick were preferring. The Lions, Packers, Bucs and Cards that went before the Bills at #28 were not going to select Coleman.

Beane was prepared to use #28 to get their guy, but then KC got nervous and (somewhat) reached for Worthy.

Yes, Worthy was a (somewhat of a) reach at #28. The draft expert I respect the most Dane Brugler had Worthy well behind Coleman.

Brugler ranked Coleman #5 WR, and #28 overall....Worthy ranked #10 WR and #46 overall.

Beane had a gift land in his lap when KC traded to move up. It made their 4th round pick (#135) a much more valuable 3rd round pick at #95. Using that pick for a need and probable immediate rotational DT behind Oliver with DeWayne Carter.

Beane knew that KC was not going to pick Coleman and did not care if they made Worthy (or any other WR on the board at that point) their pick. Beane also knew that the Cowboys, Ravens and 49ers were not going after Coleman. Turns out that he was ready to use #32 for Coleman, but then another gift landed in his lap with Carolina moving up. They obviously had their guy, Legette, in their sites and did not want any other team trading with the Bills to get him.

The Panthers trade had the Bills moving up an astounding 59 picks turning #24 in the 6th round (#200 overall) into a high 5th round pick (#6 in the 5th round...#141 overall) where the possible future starting center in Sedrick Van- Pran-Granger came to Buffalo.

There are some that believe Pran-Granger could push McGovern for the starting C job this summer.

So, the Bills got who was probably at the top of their board...who Josh Allen was salivating over, and were able to get two more players that may not been available to them without the two trades.

Of course, Coleman still has a lot to prove. But that can and should be said about EVERY draft pick. There is every reason to believe that Coleman has all the tools and skill set that fits perfectly into what the Bills are evolving into with Joe Brady as OC, and what Josh Allen can help make a star at WR.
    Patrick Mahomes was the third ranked QB by consensus (a few had him at #2 behind Trubisky) and #22 overall.

At the time, the Chiefs absolutely "reached" for Mahomes.

Considering the outcome, I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Thanks
    Thanked 11,762 Times in 7,806 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Patrick Mahomes was the third ranked QB by consensus (a few had him at #2 behind Trubisky) and #22 overall.

At the time, the Chiefs absolutely "reached" for Mahomes.

Considering the outcome, I think they have earned the benefit of the doubt.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

Seeing success for what was considered "reach" is nothing new and many teams do it every year.

Mr. Pegula wanted Mahomes in the worst way. He was not a serous "reach".