X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Some inside details of the 32nd pick trade

Cam Wolfe said he was in Foxborough for the draft and talked about the story behind 32nd pick on the Steve Smith Sr. show. Basically he said the Pats had Legette and Coleman rated very similarly and wanted one of them, so they put an offer to the Bills. But they feel Bills used them by using that info to talk to the Panthers to allow Panthers to come up to take Legette and the Bills took Coleman. The Pats wound up with none. Cam said he does not know how Beane knew the Panthers are not going to take Coleman but speculated "Gentleman's agreement. You get your guy, I get my guy." - 50:20 mark

I did remember Beane said in post draft conference they had talked about trade with team in their own division as well as some better offers for trades. No specific details, like better offer for which trade nor which team in the division.

• YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Some inside details of the 32nd pick trade

The teams could have stayed where they were and still gotten "their guy", don't see why Carolina would make the trade if they knew Buffalo wanted Colemen.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      The teams could have stayed where they were and still gotten "their guy", don't see why Carolina would make the trade if they knew Buffalo wanted Colemen.
      Maybe there didn’t know. Carolina calls wanting to get Legette and why would they care or need to know who Buffalo wanted as long as they got the deal done.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

If Carolina wouldn't have traded up with the us, then we could have traded with New England I guess. Possibly seeing the Patriots taking Legette.

I don't agree with the assumption that the Pats feel like we used them, though.

To do that we would have had confidential knowledge of the Patriots desires of who they wanted to draft, that Carolina did not have.

That can't be the case.

Comment

• Bill Cody
          • Sep 2004

Everyone knew NE wanted a receiver. Carolina wanted to make sure NE didn't leap frog them and grab Leggette. Buffalo had to know Carolina was trying to jump NE. Apparently we either liked Coleman as well as or better than Leggette. Screwing NE was just a side benefit for us.

Comment

• Woodman
            Legendary Zoner
            • Apr 2014

They traded with us because the Pats were going to.
            They had to be aggressive to get their guy.
            Years ago the Bears traded up 1 spot to draft their QB .. I always wondered why.
            They were afraid somebody would jump up that one spot obviously.
            Carolina did what they had to do.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
              Everyone knew NE wanted a receiver. Carolina wanted to make sure NE didn't leap frog them and grab Leggette. Buffalo had to know Carolina was trying to jump NE. Apparently we either liked Coleman as well as or better than Leggette. Screwing NE was just a side benefit for us.
              This. The Bills wanted Coleman and asked the Panthers who they were going to take and when they said Legette they made the deal.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                This. The Bills wanted Coleman and asked the Panthers who they were going to take and when they said Legette they made the deal.
                So Beane played Morgan then.

If Bills liked Coleman more than Legette, and Morgan refused to deal with Beane, Bills would pick Coleman and Panthers still get Legette. Pats still wound up empty.

If the Pats didn't call, would Beane still call Morgan and would Morgan still give away draft positions to the Bills for swap #33 for #32?

A more general question is whether this practice is prevalent on draft day. If I'm at pick x, I surely will ask the team at pick x+1 two questions: 1) do they want to swap with me and 2) who are they are going to. I can see a lot of resistance of answering the 2nd question in honesty.

Comment

• Mad Max
                  Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                  If Carolina wouldn't have traded up with the us, then we could have traded with New England I guess. Possibly seeing the Patriots taking Legette.

I don't agree with the assumption that the Pats feel like we used them, though.

To do that we would have had confidential knowledge of the Patriots desires of who they wanted to draft, that Carolina did not have.

That can't be the case.
                  Leveraging (a more appropriate word here than using)your enemy to your advantage? Job well done.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Maybe there didn’t know. Carolina calls wanting to get Legette and why would they care or need to know who Buffalo wanted as long as they got the deal done.
                    Maybe they didn't, but that's not what was said...Cam said he does not know how Beane knew the Panthers are not going to take Coleman but speculated "Gentleman's agreement. You get your guy, I get my guy."
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                      Buffalo was 32. Carolina was 33. New England was 34.

Carolina didn't have to jump New England.
                      And again, if as is insinuated there was a gentlemen's agreement between Bills and Panthers and each knew who the other was going to take them Carolina knew Buffalo wasn't going to move back with NE and risk not getting Coleman.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                        They traded with us because the Pats were going to.
                        They had to be aggressive to get their guy.
                        Years ago the Bears traded up 1 spot to draft their QB .. I always wondered why.
                        They were afraid somebody would jump up that one spot obviously.
                        Carolina did what they had to do.
                        The Pats weren't going to, unless Buffalo was willing to pass on both Leggette and Coleman. And (yet again, as insinuated) if Carolina knew Buffalo wanted Coleman then they also knew the Bills weren't going to risk not getting him.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• Woodman
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Apr 2014

Buffalo was 32. Carolina was 33. New England was 34.

Carolina didn't have to jump New England.
                          And again, if as is insinuated there was a gentlemen's agreement between Bills and Panthers and each knew who the other was going to take them Carolina knew Buffalo wasn't going to move back with NE and risk not getting Coleman.
                          they had to move up so we wouldn't take the Pats trade offer.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                            Leveraging (a more appropriate word here than using)your enemy to your advantage? Job well done.
                            Yes, well done. I would expect no less from a top GM.

Used the Patriots, though? Sure. A little, but, that's just how negotiations work. No need to feign victimization over it.

It's not like we betrayed the Pat's or anything dishonest.

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                              they had to move up so we wouldn't take the Pats trade offer.
                              If we wanted Coleman, that wasn't happening.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

Working...
                              X