X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: Post Draft Question

Kay interviewed Eric Wood at Kentucky Derby this past weekend on what needs to happen for the Bills to "over the hump" (going to the superbowl). We know Wood is well plugged into the team and he's a formal player who is, like Morse, very cerebral. His answer? 1) health (He actually thought had the Bills been healthy last year, they very well would be in the superbowl instead of the Chiefs). 2) young players stepping up in Safety, CB, and WR positions in that order.

I think 1) above might be a better shot this year since we do get younger. 2) is difficult for improvement in all 3 areas, especially at Safety - I don't know we can realistically expect the height of Hyde/Poyer replicated this year with any combination of the players we have. I mean the Hyde/Poyer of 2017 - 2021.

BTW, Wood thinks the Bills offense goes thru Kincaid this year, something similar to the Chiefs after they traded away Hill. It is a tall order but possible, not one of the low odds in my mind. In that case, the non-explosive but steady offense we saw from Brady late last season continues, with maybe better weapons for better finishes in the redzone. It will not be the pretty offense like Miami or what the Chiefs can do if guys like Worthy pans out. It is the playoff offense.

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

BTW, Wood thinks the Bills offense goes thru Kincaid this year, something similar to the Chiefs after they traded away Hill. It is a tall order but possible, not one of the low odds in my mind. In that case, the non-explosive but steady offense we saw from Brady late last season continues, with maybe better weapons for better finishes in the redzone. It will not be the pretty offense like Miami or what the Chiefs can do if guys like Worthy pans out. It is the playoff offense.
      Kincaid may set the table ...... if that's what you call going through ..... I'd say that it's a pretty accurate take.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
        Kincaid may set the table ...... if that's what you call going through ..... I'd say that it's a pretty accurate take.
        Wood's exact words is "Kincaid is the main target ... then there are some role players at wide receivers.... And they have those role players."

To me, when Wood says a WR needs to step up, I'm thinking Shakir. There is something about him (and the connection with Allen towards the end last year as a de facto 1st read)) that all of us want to see this year because I think you are going to see teams put #1 Corner on him this year. We know how it ends with Davis when that happened (at some critical junctures of a game). We'll see how it goes with him.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Wood's exact words is "Kincaid is the main target ... then there are some role players at wide receivers.... And they have those role players."

To me, when Wood says a WR needs to step up, I'm thinking Shakir. There is something about him (and the connection with Allen towards the end last year as a de facto 1st read)) that all of us want to see this year because I think you are going to see teams put #1 Corner on him this year. We know how it ends with Davis when that happened (at some critical junctures of a game). We'll see how it goes with him.
          Whichever way it goes I'm looking for a great season!

Always Go Bills!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mad Max
            Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
            • Mar 2003

We are lucky to have a couple of “dogs” in Kincaid and Shakir. They get open, fight for the ball, make hard catches and then they YAC it up.

We’re going to need others to step up obviously, but those two make an excellent pass catching foundation.

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
              We are lucky to have a couple of “dogs” in Kincaid and Shakir. They get open, fight for the ball, make hard catches and then they YAC it up.

We’re going to need others to step up obviously, but those two make an excellent pass catching foundation.
              Johnny Wilson - wins on the outside. Could have been a dynamic trio.

Why, Beane...

Comment

• Mad Max
                Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
                Johnny Wilson - wins on the outside. Could have been a dynamic trio.

Why, Beane...
                We’ll see…someone else in the thread mentioned that Jordan Travis (the FSU QB) cheated towards Johnny Wilson over Keon…the better talent.

Also in general Jordan Travis wasn’t exactly a premier college QB making the best throws or decisions.

Switching to Josh throwing to Keon is going to ratchet up his game automatically.

check out this thread to see some of Jordan Travis’ work:

Comment

• sahlensguy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
                  We’ll see…someone else in the thread mentioned that Jordan Travis (the FSU QB) cheated towards Johnny Wilson over Keon…the better talent.

Also in general Jordan Travis wasn’t exactly a premier college QB making the best throws or decisions.

Switching to Josh throwing to Keon is going to ratchet up his game automatically.

check out this thread to see some of Jordan Travis’ work:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/s/5qhIjh2ioM
                  Travis was a travesty. Plus he had a tight end target to throw to. Only one ball to go around. Hopefully Josh makes all the difference for Keon.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Kay interviewed Eric Wood at Kentucky Derby this past weekend on what needs to happen for the Bills to "over the hump" (going to the superbowl). We know Wood is well plugged into the team and he's a formal player who is, like Morse, very cerebral. His answer? 1) health (He actually thought had the Bills been healthy last year, they very well would be in the superbowl instead of the Chiefs). 2) young players stepping up in Safety, CB, and WR positions in that order.

I think 1) above might be a better shot this year since we do get younger. 2) is difficult for improvement in all 3 areas, especially at Safety - I don't know we can realistically expect the height of Hyde/Poyer replicated this year with any combination of the players we have. I mean the Hyde/Poyer of 2017 - 2021.

Eric Wood is a smart man. Injuries were HUGE for the Bills that past several years. In 2023, Erci is spot on when he said (as you paraphrased) "health (He actually thought had the Bills been healthy last year, they very well would be in the superbowl instead of the Chiefs).".

I posted two months ago about the injury factor with these facts...

In 2023 the Bills had the fourth-most games lost by starters to injury on defense in the NFL with 46.

While KC with the second-FEWEST games lost at only 27.

Despite all those devastating injuries, the Bills STILL won the AFCE for the FOURTH consecutive time, and the playoffs the FIFTH consecutive time....the second longest streak in the NFL of consecutive playoff appearance (KC, of course is #1 with 9) and grabbed the #2 seed in the AFC.

THAT SHOWS the Bills had as good a roster as any team in the NFL.

KC's good fortune with so few injuries to starters last year is on top of the Chiefs having had an amazing run of good health in recent years. They lost the fewest games in the NFL to injury in 2022, the third fewest in 2021 and the 10th fewest in 2020. They were tied for 13th in both 2019 and 2018.

Could that be because the Chiefs have a grass field as do two other teams in the division...while the Bills play on turf as well as two other teams in their division? Sure looks like it could be a HUGE factor.

Here are the facts....including playoff games, the breakdown of field surface played on for each team....

KC:

2023 - 16 grass - 5 turf
                    2022 - 16 grass - 4 turf
                    2021 - 17 grass - 3 turf
                    2020 - 16 grass - 3 turf
                    2019 - 17 grass - 2 turf
                    2018 - 16 grass - 2 turf

Buffalo:

2023 - 4 grass - 15 turf
                    2022 - 4 grass - 16 turf
                    2021 - 5 grass - 14 turf
                    2020 - 7 grass - 12 turf
                    2019 - 4 grass - 13 turf
                    2018 - 3 grass - 13 turf

Total the past six seasons:

KC - 98 grass - 19 turf.....83% of games played on grass

Buffalo - 27 grass - 83 turf....75% games played on turf.

The FACTS are undeniable.

It's not a coincidence that KC generally, has been a very healthy team AND they play the overwhelming majority of their games on grass fields.

The new stadium will undoubtedly help the Bills reduce injuries. And it's not just when an injury occurs. The constant punishment from playing on turf takes it's toll in a long season.

Comment

Working...
                    X