• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetoxTent
    • Sep 2023

Re: Murphy officially stepping down

Originally posted by notacon View Post
    After Van Miller retired, he was on a (old farts) travel group (I can't remember where...China or New Zealand I think) that my dad was on. These trips went on for at least two to three weeks as 25 to 30 people traveled together on a guided tour.

He said that Van was the nicest man, not at all full of himself and a wonderful group travel companion. The trip used a bus to get from place to place within the country they were visiting, and my dad took video of one time that Van got up in the front of the bus, and put on his professional Bills voice and persona and called the trip like he was recapping a game, mentioning fellow travelers by name and recounting the great stuff they did together.

It was hilarious. I have not seen it for years since it was done in the 90's. After my dad passed in 2008 I got hold of all his video originals. My intention is to digitize them all and I'm looking forward to finding that snippet.
    My father is buried a in the same mausoleum as Miller.

Comment

• notacon
      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by DetoxTent View Post
      My father is buried a in the same mausoleum as Miller.
      I'm not sure how to react to this. It's a little creepy.

Comment

• T&C
        • Sep 2023

Originally posted by Gibby 2.0 View Post
        Van Miller he was not. He was okay, but not iconic. Still damn, not being able to do something you love (and broadcasting Bills games had to be dream job for him) because of a damned stroke. Strokes are horrible things. Mom had one a few years back and they are ****ing life altering. Mom recovered and I hope Murph did because strokes are awful. So get well Murph and hope you have a great remaining few decades.
        I haven't listened to a Bills game on radio in probably 20 years but I've heard plenty of Murph on replays, shows, etc... yeah, he really enjoyed calling the games. No one will ever be a RJ, Van Miller, Vin Skully... people speak differently now than they did when these guys were in their booth, hard to explain that really other than, listen to even a news cast from the early 60's to one now... two different worlds. Glad your mom recovered and I hope the same for Murph.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

I enjoyed Marv as well .... thought damn why not hire him as a HC.

Sometimes you just know.

But by far the best ever was Van Miller without a doubt.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
          X