Here’s a huge factor (literally) that plays into the large NFL player failure rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Here’s a huge factor (literally) that plays into the large NFL player failure rate

I remember college math textbooks that looked less daunting (and didn’t need to be memorized).

• Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Re: Here’s a huge factor (literally) that plays into the large NFL player failure rat

Originally posted by Mad Max View Post
    I remember college math textbooks that looked less daunting (and didn’t need to be memorized).

I would've loved to have dedicated myself to this, had I had the body for college/pro ball.

Comment

• sahlensguy
      • Mar 2015

Re: Here’s a huge factor (literally) that plays into the large NFL player failure rat

To think that we spent an actual draft pick on a guy who's never even been in a huddle in his life is confounding.

It's a miracle any rugby player ever made the transition over.

Comment

• mightysimi
        Buckle me in on the highway of sin
        • Mar 2010

Had a lot of hope for the savior at 221?

Comment

• jamze132
          Don’t hate…
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
          To think that we spent an actual draft pick on a guy who's never even been in a huddle in his life is confounding.

It's a miracle any rugby player ever made the transition over.
          Why? His natural physicality will lend him a huge hand in the trenches. He can be taught assignments.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

IMO, if you’re making millions of dollars to play a game, you should be expected to know the playbook, front to back.

Comment

• kgun12
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Oaf View Post
              I would've loved to have dedicated myself to this, had I had the body for college/pro ball.
              This ^ and these kids are getting paid a great sum of money to learn. As an air traffic controller we are required to learn the rules governing air traffic written by lawyers that's as big or bigger than that playbook, not to mention the 20-50 letters of agreement with adjacent facilities and airports, many approaches to the main airport or satellite airports (depending on the airport they are at) and a 100 other things and for a whole lot less money.
              No as far as I'm concerned if they aren't dedicated enough to learn a playbook, screw them.
              Retired Air Traffic Controller
              USAF VETERAN
              DAV

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

And I’m sure there are a lot of posters that have just as many challenges to overcome in their jobs as well!
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• sahlensguy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by kgun12 View Post
                  This ^ and these kids are getting paid a great sum of money to learn. As an air traffic controller we are required to learn the rules governing air traffic written by lawyers that's as big or bigger than that playbook, not to mention the 20-50 letters of agreement with adjacent facilities and airports, many approaches to the main airport or satellite airports (depending on the airport they are at) and a 100 other things and for a whole lot less money.
                  No as far as I'm concerned if they aren't dedicated enough to learn a playbook, screw them.
                  These kids ain't all brain surgeons.
                  It takes years of study to become an air traffic controller. They aren't all required to be an ace student to play football.
                  Last edited by sahlensguy; 05-09-2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                    • Mar 2015

Comment

• Mad Max
                      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                      IMO, if you’re making millions of dollars to play a game, you should be expected to know the playbook, front to back.
                      Yep. Unfortunately most of these kids are not to smahhhht and get slid through their “education” until they hit the NFL due to their lucrative on field abilities thereby creating a huge gap between expectations and reality.

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

Just 6 so far that we know about.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• sahlensguy
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                          Just 6 so far that we know about.

Comment

• kgun12
                            • Jul 2002

It takes years of study to become an air traffic controller. They aren't all required to be an ace student to play football.
                            When I started 75% were ex military with high school degrees, some had college and some just had work experience. Yes it takes about two years to certify, but no air traffic experience or training when we started. Unlike these rookies that have been playing football since they were 6 years old. I’m just saying it’s a lot for them to learn, but it’s their job.
                            USAF VETERAN
                            DAV

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

They don't still use books, do they?

Tablets, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X