Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micah Hyde on Eric Wood Podcst

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Micah Hyde on Eric Wood Podcst

Of course the question is whether he wants to play. If you listen the first 5 minutes, you will say he's definitely coming back. But then you continue to listen further into the posdcast, it seems that it is likely true to what he said "I don't know right now."

I don't think the Bills are going to pay him any significant money. Poyer got $2 million from Miami. Maybe that's a reference point. Considering his neck issue, maybe he signs a backup contract and play the backup role? The thing is I don't know for him, it is worth to go thru all of this just to be a backup, even though he may come in to rotate more than a typical backup player. But then he takes a ST spot away from the team on game day.

From on field performance perspective, he clearly lost a step (maybe more) last year, more so than Poyer. I'm going to say, if he starts for the Bills, I'll consider him a liability, more so than Mike Edwards.

2. Post thanked by:

Mercy (05-14-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Micah Hyde on Eric Wood Podcst

If he has that level of hesitation, I’ll pass.

Don’t get me wrong. This team made the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years, won the Div the last 4 and won at least one playoff game in all 4 of those years. Despite all my *****ing, that’s a huge after a 17 year playoff drought, and it doesn’t happen without Hyde and Poyer. Bringing those two in was a huge turning point for this franchise and I’ll always respect the hell out of both of them for it.

But it’s a young man’s game. And it’s an aggressive, physical game. He’s on the verge of aging out, he has a long term nagging injury and now he is showing mental hesitation.

Thank you for your service, sir. Time to move on. Give him a coaching job if he wants it.

4. Post thanked by:

kscdogbillsfan1221 (05-14-2024),Mad Bomber (05-14-2024),Mercy (05-14-2024),Thurmal (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,695 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

The field belongs to the young.

1) Ari
    2)@ Mia
    3) Jac
    4)@ Bal
    5)@ Hou
    6)@ Jet
    7) Ten
    8)@ Sea

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Come coach, brother. Stay in game shape and join if there are injuries late in the season/playoffs.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    Of course the question is whether he wants to play. If you listen the first 5 minutes, you will say he's definitely coming back. But then you continue to listen further into the posdcast, it seems that it is likely true to what he said "I don't know right now."

I don't think the Bills are going to pay him any significant money. Poyer got $2 million from Miami. Maybe that's a reference point. Considering his neck issue, maybe he signs a backup contract and play the backup role? The thing is I don't know for him, it is worth to go thru all of this just to be a backup, even though he may come in to rotate more than a typical backup player. But then he takes a ST spot away from the team on game day.

From on field performance perspective, he clearly lost a step (maybe more) last year, more so than Poyer. I'm going to say, if he starts for the Bills, I'll consider him a liability, more so than Mike Edwards.

FWIW, Beane has said he would take Hyde back if he wants to play. See:

Micah Hyde Returning? Bills GM Provides Update on Decision

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by DetoxTent View Post
    FWIW, Beane has said he would take Hyde back if he wants to play. See:

Micah Hyde Returning? Bills GM Provides Update on Decision

Beane spoke about Hyde's decision-making process during a recent Bills fan event in a video captured by Trainwreck Sports.“Micah has not made a 100 percent decision on what he’s doing," Beane said. "He’s taking his time. He’s enjoying his family time. He told me, he said ‘Brandon, I don’t know if I could play anywhere else, and I’m not 100 percent sure if I want to play.’”

Hyde was a fifth-round pick by the Green Bay Packers in 2013, but joined the Bills in 2017 after four years in Lambeau. He's played with Buffalo ever since, but the 33-year-old is approaching what would be his 12th season in the league.

“He’s obviously had some neck things that have popped up on him in his time here. I think he’s just making a family decision right now, he hasn’t come to a decision and we don’t need a decision," Beane said. "So if at some point he says he wants to come play, if we see a fit, you’d never turn down bringing a Micah Hyde back.”

Thanks
    Thanked 30,670 Times in 17,517 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Time to enjoy the family and get out relatively healthy. And I don't know why any ex-player with kids/spouse/etc that has had a lengthy and lucrative career would want to continue as a coach, it's a lot more work and peanuts for money comparatively speaking.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

10. Post thanked by:

Mercy (05-14-2024),Oaf (05-14-2024),Thurmal (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Beane said. "So if at some point he says he wants to come play, if we see a fit, you’d never turn down bringing a Micah Hyde back.”

Beane is a very good communicator. He's subtly hedging - obviously in this situation - the Bills have a say as well. Maybe like Oaf said, stay in shape, and come down the stretch when we have injuries like the Linebacker situation at the end of last season, we'll call you ...

12. Post thanked by:

DetoxTent (05-15-2024),Oaf (05-14-2024)

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,127 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Man, if he decides to come back, I hope makes sure with multiple doctors opinions that his risk is minimal. Neck injuries are scary

14. Post thanked by:

Lone Stranger (05-15-2024),Mercy (05-14-2024),YardRat (05-16-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He's been wanting to step away from the playing field for years.

Would he add anything as a coach ..... probably.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

He'll get frustrated in coaching. The play he described, the playoff game against Pats where he intercepted Mac Jones in the endzone, tells you the kind of instincts he has. it combines with the knowledge coaches provide, in this case he said as much that Babich provided scenarios the best he ever had. Still, on the field to apply the knowledge quickly is what we are talking about here. On that play,Buffalo was playing single high and Hyde was the high one, and he said he believed Jones ID-ed single high quickly. So it is matter of Hyde finding out where Jones was going to go with the ball, assuming attacking deep. At that point, it is not coaching anymore.

BTW, an interesting point I found is Hyde said he could not see Jones eyes because he was way deep, so he had to go by the stripe on Jones helmet to see where he was looking. Should the Bills re-design the helmet scheme to remove the center stripe so opposing safeties cannot read Josh by looking at his helmet Stripe?

17. Post thanked by:

Oaf (05-14-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,797 Times in 7,837 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I wish Hyde well for whatever decision he makes.

Thanks
    Thanked 26,402 Times in 13,788 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by YardRat View Post
    Time to enjoy the family and get out relatively healthy. And I don't know why any ex-player with kids/spouse/etc that has had a lengthy and lucrative career would want to continue as a coach, it's a lot more work and peanuts for money comparatively speaking.
    Maybe, but coaching is much less demanding on the body. It’s consistent income for as long as he needs it. Hyde made a lot of money but it might not be enough to last the rest of his life.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,492 Times in 7,331 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

It's a harsh business but it's time to move on.

21. Post thanked by:

notacon (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
    It's a harsh business but it's time to move on.
    With his history of head and neck injury .... I'd consider my health 1st.

Do you read what you write? Oaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

BTW, an interesting point I found is Hyde said he could not see Jones eyes because he was way deep, so he had to go by the stripe on Jones helmet to see where he was looking. Should the Bills re-design the helmet scheme to remove the center stripe so opposing safeties cannot read Josh by looking at his helmet Stripe?
    Super interesting insight!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

After getting some glimpses of him working with the other safeties when he was injured but in the building 2 years ago, he seems like he'd be great as an assistant working with the Safeties Coach.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 627 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37 View Post
    Maybe, but coaching is much less demanding on the body. It’s consistent income for as long as he needs it. Hyde made a lot of money but it might not be enough to last the rest of his life.
    Right. And work isn't all about the money. A lot of former NFL players with huge bank accounts go into coaching for the same reason they went into playing: because they love the sport and want to be a part of it.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

26. Post thanked by:

OpIv37 (05-15-2024)

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Slim View Post
    A lot of former NFL players with huge bank accounts go into coaching for the same reason they went into playing: because they love the sport and want to be a part of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 30,670 Times in 17,517 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

He'll get frustrated in coaching. The play he described, the playoff game against Pats where he intercepted Mac Jones in the endzone, tells you the kind of instincts he has. it combines with the knowledge coaches provide, in this case he said as much that Babich provided scenarios the best he ever had. Still, on the field to apply the knowledge quickly is what we are talking about here. On that play,Buffalo was playing single high and Hyde was the high one, and he said he believed Jones ID-ed single high quickly. So it is matter of Hyde finding out where Jones was going to go with the ball, assuming attacking deep. At that point, it is not coaching anymore.

Far be it from me to question Hyde, but if that's the 'play of the game' int in the end zone...what stripe is he referring to? The Pats regular helmet doesn't have one.