Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

Thanks
    Thanked 11,797 Times in 7,837 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

BTW….your statement “That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.” is unfounded and shows a lack of realizing reality.

First, we do not know if Hyde is “lost” or not. He has stated that he will either play for the Bills or retire.

This is why Beane singing Taylor Rapp and especially Mike Edwards were smart.

Mike Edwards - five years experience- 75 games, 28 starts
    Taylor Rapp - five years experience- 73 games, 52 starts.

The rest of the secondary is very experienced too….

Rasul Douglas - seven years experience- 105 games, 65 starts
    Taron Johnson - six years experience - 88 games, 67 starts

Even the least experienced DB has a LOT of games under his belt…

Christian Benford - two years experience- 24 games, 19 starts.

In fact, the whole Bills defense is very experienced (and smart). That’s what contending teams with a strong roster embodies.

And THAT is why I’m NOT concerned about losing aging (or overpriced) players.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,695 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

1) Ari
    2)@ Mia
    3) Jac
    4)@ Bal
    5)@ Hou
    6)@ Jet
    7) Ten
    8)@ Sea

Thanks
    Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,528 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by notacon View Post
    In fact, the whole Bills defense is very experienced (and smart). That’s what contending teams with a strong roster embodies.

And THAT is why I’m NOT concerned about losing aging (or overpriced) players.
    My top 2 area of concerns are Safety and D-Line, of the entire team.

#1 is Safety. The reason is not because we let go of Hyde (I don't WANT him back other than emergency case, for the record) and Poyer. But rather, the question on the standard set by Hyde and Poyer from2017 - 2021 can be met by the new players, in this second phase of going after the superbowl. I was disappointed with Rapp for 2/3 of the season - missed assignments and always step late stuff. But he did come on in the last 1/3 the season and got more snaps. In fact, him being out probably contributed to the Chiefs running up down the field on us in that playoff loss. So how does he do being the main guy there is still a question mark. I know less about Edwards. The new guy Bishop has a lot of promise and a few pre-draft boards have him the top safeties in 2024 draft. I don't know he can step in right away. Even Budda Baker who was named to pro-bowl as a rookie didn't start half the games in his rookie year.

#2 is D-line. Big question mark on the edge. Who can step up. Rousseau? or Von comeback? I think Epenesa is who he is quality rotation piece, not a difference maker. I do like the DT depth this year where we finally invested a high pick and seemingly good rotation behind Oliver and DaQuan. But I'm not sure both Oliver and Daquan can repeat their early 2023 form in 2024.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,797 Times in 7,837 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

#1 is Safety. The reason is not because we let go of Hyde (I don't WANT him back other than emergency case, for the record) and Poyer. But rather, the question on the standard set by Hyde and Poyer from2017 - 2021 can be met by the new players, in this second phase of going after the superbowl. I was disappointed with Rapp for 2/3 of the season - missed assignments and always step late stuff. But he did come on in the last 1/3 the season and got more snaps. In fact, him being out probably contributed to the Chiefs running up down the field on us in that playoff loss. So how does he do being the main guy there is still a question mark. I know less about Edwards. The new guy Bishop has a lot of promise and a few pre-draft boards have him the top safeties in 2024 draft. I don't know he can step in right away. Even Budda Baker who was named to pro-bowl as a rookie didn't start half the games in his rookie year.

#2 is D-line. Big question mark on the edge. Who can step up. Rousseau? or Von comeback? I think Epenesa is who he is quality rotation piece, not a difference maker. I do like the DT depth this year where we finally invested a high pick and seemingly good rotation behind Oliver and DaQuan. But I'm not sure both Oliver and Daquan can repeat their early 2023 form in 2024.
    Reasonable "concerns" that I do not share.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,695 Times in 6,231 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

New faces all around.