X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

If you are nerds of the game, you will enjoy what Wiley said in the video.

The first thing is about from college to NFL. That's exactly why you see the biggest jump in an NFL player's career is often year 1 to year 2. Those still in the "I'm a stud in college" mindset will washout in a short few years.

The second point is about Bruce. It resonates with me as one of my kids in a different sport seeking coaches years ago and we found out that the ones got to the top of the world often not the best coaches afterwards because their natural ability makes them do things easier than the rest of us and it is hard for them to understand why we could not do what they considered easy. It is the guys like Phil Hanson that have limited natural ability but worked hard in technique to reach what they reach. In the end though, there is always some one with both the natural ability and the desire to master all the technique to beat everyone.

The Bills need to get more of those "some one" in addition to Josh to win the championship.

• Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Re: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

Best Buffalo Bill ever.

Maybe the best player period.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Mercy
      • Jul 2005

My first and all time favorite
      Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
      Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

• Historian
        2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
        • Dec 2002

Bruce came to us as a talented 305 lb fat body.

Rusty Jones turned him into the fastest 273 lb DE to ever play the game.

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

He was special, no doubt.

The Bills need to get more of those "some one" in addition to Josh to win the championship.
          A good start would be Josh becoming a "some one" himself...he's not there yet.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Goobylal
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
            If you are nerds of the game, you will enjoy what Wiley said in the video.

The first thing is about from college to NFL. That's exactly why you see the biggest jump in an NFL player's career is often year 1 to year 2. Those still in the "I'm a stud in college" mindset will washout in a short few years.

The second point is about Bruce. It resonates with me as one of my kids in a different sport seeking coaches years ago and we found out that the ones got to the top of the world often not the best coaches afterwards because their natural ability makes them do things easier than the rest of us and it is hard for them to understand why we could not do what they considered easy. It is the guys like Phil Hanson that have limited natural ability but worked hard in technique to reach what they reach. In the end though, there is always some one with both the natural ability and the desire to master all the technique to beat everyone.

Totally agree/been saying that for years about the best players usually not making the best coaches. As for Josh and a championship, they need a defense that doesn't fold in the playoffs.

Comment

• DetoxTent
              • Sep 2023

The Buffalo Bills hired undercover detectives to follow all-pro defensive end Bruce Smith for 3 weeks last November because of concerns about Smith's association with a suspected drug dealer, according to a published report.

The Buffalo Bills hired undercover detectives to tail star defensive end Bruce Smith for three weeks last November after becoming concerned about Smith’s alleged associations with drug dealers, law enforcement

BILLS' ALL-PRO SMITH SUSPENDED

Drug suspensions in the NFL this season reached a total of 17 last week, and no one knew if we were nearing the end or were barely beginning the cleansing of

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                  • Mar 2004

What a monumental bust Wiley was

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                    What a monumental bust Wiley was
                    Bust? The guy played in NFL for 10 years and had a couple of 10+ sack years with 1 pro-ball appearance.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I watch clips of the 90's teams, the game seems to be a half step slower than it is today, with one exception: Bruce Smith. Obviously, training and nutrition has improved, so if those 90's guys played today, they would be bigger and faster, but Bruce was 20 years ahead of his time. If you could take 1992 Bruce Smith and put him on the current team exactly as he was back then, he'd still lead the league in sacks. I can't say that about anyone else.

He's my all-time favorite player. To this day, my game day jersey is an authentic Bruce Smith.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mercy
                        • Jul 2005

I want your jersey!

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I've said it before and I'll say it again:

When I watch clips of the 90's teams, the game seems to be a half step slower than it is today, with one exception: Bruce Smith. Obviously, training and nutrition has improved, so if those 90's guys played today, they would be bigger and faster, but Bruce was 20 years ahead of his time. If you could take 1992 Bruce Smith and put him on the current team exactly as he was back then, he'd still lead the league in sacks. I can't say that about anyone else.

He's my all-time favorite player. To this day, my game day jersey is an authentic Bruce Smith.
                        Victory for the forces of Democratic freedom
                        Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy

Comment

• notacon
                          • Aug 2012

I was lucky to be able to see Bruce Smith LIVE at several games (back when I attended some games).

TV (especially the crappy quality of TV at that time) does not give his amazing quickness any justice.

I remember one game vs NE, close defensive struggle and late in the game, Bruce literally took the game over. He was unstoppable and everyone in the stadium KNEW he was unstoppable.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                            Bust? The guy played in NFL for 10 years and had a couple of 10+ sack years with 1 pro-ball appearance.
                            Dude was terrible for the Bills. He had one good year, his contract year.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mercy View Post
                              I want your jersey!
                              It’s the only authentic Bills jersey I’ve ever owned. I also have an authentic ND #12 Jersey (it was Ian Book when I got it), and for Christmas my wife gave me an authentic Rob Ray goat head sweater.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X