• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Re: Bruce Smith - One of a Kind

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
    Dude was terrible for the Bills. He had one good year, his contract year.
    Maybe you have a high standard. A second round pick played behind Bruce Smith for 3 years, in a 3-4 scheme, got a total 10 sacks in 4 years with the Bills. then had his probowl year with chargers with 13 sacks is far from a bust. Money talks. Busts don't get a $40 million contract in FA market 24 years ago.

Statistically speaking, 70% drafted players don't start for any team after 3rd or 4th years. So Wiley is already in the 30%. Then he got a big contract afterwards, which put him probably in the top 20%. He fell sharply after he got into 29 year age and beyond, which is par for the course for average NFL players.

Now 20 years later, technology and training science may help to extend dedicated professional players professional life somewhat. Still father time in general still rules. We saw it first hand this past season where a bunch of around 30 year old players declining performance. In my opinion (and many others) that the front office did the right thing to jettison most of them with the youth movement.

There are exceptions. Personally, I'd keep Bruce Smith with the Bills and it might shorten the drought years because I think with Bruce, we might make the playoff in Bledsoe's first year.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      He was special, no doubt.

A good start would be Josh becoming a "some one" himself...he's not there yet.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        A good start would be Josh becoming a "some one" himself...he's not there yet.
        Totally wrong.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by notacon View Post
          I was lucky to be able to see Bruce Smith LIVE at several games (back when I attended some games).

TV (especially the crappy quality of TV at that time) does not give his amazing quickness any justice.

I remember one game vs NE, close defensive struggle and late in the game, Bruce literally took the game over. He was unstoppable and everyone in the stadium KNEW he was unstoppable.
          I saw him play in person a few times. Unfortunately I was young and generally just watched the ball. I wish focusing on Bruce had occurred to me at the time.

FWIW, when London Fletcher was with Washington, my friend scored free tickets to a game against the Giants. I spent a lot of time watching Fletcher. Now, don’t get me wrong: Fletcher is nowhere near Bruce’s level. But I noticed a lot of things that are hard to notice on TV. There were numerous times where it looked like a player was about to get open, but Fletcher had diagnosed the play and cut off the passing lane. At that point, he was old and slow but he made up for it by always knowing where to be.

That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• notacon
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            I saw him play in person a few times. Unfortunately I was young and generally just watched the ball. I wish focusing on Bruce had occurred to me at the time.

FWIW, when London Fletcher was with Washington, my friend scored free tickets to a game against the Giants. I spent a lot of time watching Fletcher. Now, don’t get me wrong: Fletcher is nowhere near Bruce’s level. But I noticed a lot of things that are hard to notice on TV. There were numerous times where it looked like a player was about to get open, but Fletcher had diagnosed the play and cut off the passing lane. At that point, he was old and slow but he made up for it by always knowing where to be.

That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.
            I did not have you issue of being young when you saw him live since I did not go to my first Bills game until I was close to 20 years old.

The second game I ever went to was September 7, 1980 (I was 25 years old) the famous end of the 20 game losing streak to Miami of the 70's.

I was in the end zone seats as the crowd tore down the goalposts. I was well into my 30's when I had the honor of seeing Bruce in action.

Comment

• notacon
              • Aug 2012

BTW….your statement “That’s one of the reasons I’m so concerned about losing Poyer and Hyde. At this point, it’s not hard to find guys who are faster and more athletic, but the experience and smarts don’t come easily.” is unfounded and shows a lack of realizing reality.

First, we do not know if Hyde is “lost” or not. He has stated that he will either play for the Bills or retire.

This is why Beane singing Taylor Rapp and especially Mike Edwards were smart.

Mike Edwards - five years experience- 75 games, 28 starts
              Taylor Rapp - five years experience- 73 games, 52 starts.

The rest of the secondary is very experienced too….

Rasul Douglas - seven years experience- 105 games, 65 starts
              Taron Johnson - six years experience - 88 games, 67 starts

Even the least experienced DB has a LOT of games under his belt…

Christian Benford - two years experience- 24 games, 19 starts.

In fact, the whole Bills defense is very experienced (and smart). That’s what contending teams with a strong roster embodies.

And THAT is why I’m NOT concerned about losing aging (or overpriced) players.

Comment

• Woodman
                Legendary Zoner
                • Apr 2014

images.jpg

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by notacon View Post
                  In fact, the whole Bills defense is very experienced (and smart). That’s what contending teams with a strong roster embodies.

And THAT is why I’m NOT concerned about losing aging (or overpriced) players.
                  My top 2 area of concerns are Safety and D-Line, of the entire team.

#1 is Safety. The reason is not because we let go of Hyde (I don't WANT him back other than emergency case, for the record) and Poyer. But rather, the question on the standard set by Hyde and Poyer from2017 - 2021 can be met by the new players, in this second phase of going after the superbowl. I was disappointed with Rapp for 2/3 of the season - missed assignments and always step late stuff. But he did come on in the last 1/3 the season and got more snaps. In fact, him being out probably contributed to the Chiefs running up down the field on us in that playoff loss. So how does he do being the main guy there is still a question mark. I know less about Edwards. The new guy Bishop has a lot of promise and a few pre-draft boards have him the top safeties in 2024 draft. I don't know he can step in right away. Even Budda Baker who was named to pro-bowl as a rookie didn't start half the games in his rookie year.

#2 is D-line. Big question mark on the edge. Who can step up. Rousseau? or Von comeback? I think Epenesa is who he is quality rotation piece, not a difference maker. I do like the DT depth this year where we finally invested a high pick and seemingly good rotation behind Oliver and DaQuan. But I'm not sure both Oliver and Daquan can repeat their early 2023 form in 2024.

Comment

• notacon
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

#1 is Safety. The reason is not because we let go of Hyde (I don't WANT him back other than emergency case, for the record) and Poyer. But rather, the question on the standard set by Hyde and Poyer from2017 - 2021 can be met by the new players, in this second phase of going after the superbowl. I was disappointed with Rapp for 2/3 of the season - missed assignments and always step late stuff. But he did come on in the last 1/3 the season and got more snaps. In fact, him being out probably contributed to the Chiefs running up down the field on us in that playoff loss. So how does he do being the main guy there is still a question mark. I know less about Edwards. The new guy Bishop has a lot of promise and a few pre-draft boards have him the top safeties in 2024 draft. I don't know he can step in right away. Even Budda Baker who was named to pro-bowl as a rookie didn't start half the games in his rookie year.

#2 is D-line. Big question mark on the edge. Who can step up. Rousseau? or Von comeback? I think Epenesa is who he is quality rotation piece, not a difference maker. I do like the DT depth this year where we finally invested a high pick and seemingly good rotation behind Oliver and DaQuan. But I'm not sure both Oliver and Daquan can repeat their early 2023 form in 2024.
                    Reasonable "concerns" that I do not share.

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post

New faces all around.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

Working...
                      X