X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

NFL will test optical tracking system to measure for first downs in preseason

NFL will test optical tracking system to measure for first downs in preseason - NBC Sports

The NFL will test an optical tracking system for line-to-gain rulings this preseason, Jonathan Jones of CBS Sports reports. If all goes well, the league will implement the technology for the regular season.

The NFL will continue to use the chains as a backup for game operations and as a reference point for coaches, players and in-stadium fans, Jones adds.

The league tried out the high-tech system in MetLife Stadium and Hard Rock Stadium this past season.

It would have to install the system in all 30 NFL stadiums as well as the international stadiums the league will play games.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • jamze132
    Don’t hate…
    • Jun 2003

Re: NFL will test optical tracking system to measure for first downs in preseason

Is that something that really needs addressed?

Comment

• Woodman
      Legendary Zoner
      • Apr 2014

Re: NFL will test optical tracking system to measure for first downs in preseason

They are so bad in almost every area any chance of getting it right is necessary.

The challenge system needs a total overhaul as well.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

I get the accuracy of where the 1st down would be, but who spots it? And what about well he made the marker but the ref called it dead? In other words if they implement it they'd better think the thing out beforehand.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Woodman
          Legendary Zoner
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Turf View Post
          I get the accuracy of where the 1st down would be, but who spots it? And what about well he made the marker but the ref called it dead? In other words if they implement it they'd better think the thing out beforehand.
          Very good point.

Where is the knee down for example ..... many other considerations as well.

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I think this is technology to give a more accurate representation of where the 10 yards starts and ends, the placement of the sticks, as opposed to spotting the ball after the play, forward progress of the ball, etc.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

It's another way they will be able to control the outcomes of games.

Comment

• Oaf
                Do you read what you write?
                • Jun 2007

I'll never forget the karma of this one, and I'm a Michigan fan!

Comment

• notacon
                  • Aug 2012

It's about time.

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
                    The things I get you to say
                    • Oct 2019

I'm having Terry Glenn aka "just give it to em" flashbacks
                    Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

I’m in favor of anything that trades objective evidence for the subjective views of the officials.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Gibby 2.0
                        The things I get you to say
                        • Oct 2019

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                        I’m in favor of anything that trades objective evidence for the subjective views of the officials.
                        I'd like to see both. Keep the chain gang, and if the spot looks questionable it can be challenged, and automatically reviewed in the last two minutes of a half (not all, but if we are within an inch or two)
                        Insert whimsical line here

Comment

• Turf
                          • Jul 2002

What about after a first down, does the tech tell the ref exactly where to spot the ball, or do they start measuring the 10 yards from where the ball is spotted. Btw, this is all being done by multiple cameras not a chip inside the football.
                          Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• mightysimi
                            Buckle me in on the highway of sin
                            • Mar 2010

Not only that a middle aged official trying to catch up from 10-15 yards behind. The discussion on the radio was it will determine where the ball was exactly when the player is down as well as the exact 10 yards. That should make those type of close plays faster to review and more accurate. Sticks will just be for in house viewing as a reference.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

That's fine as long as it doesn't slow down the game. The games are already too long. I remember when I was a lot younger you could basically set your watch the game would be over just inside of 3 hours. No longer the case. If they can do this quickly great I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                              X