Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Williams Two BIG balls

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Greg Williams Two BIG balls

Say what you want about Greg Williams coaching skills but he should get two huge game balls for Deferring the OT kickoff to gain the wind advantage and for choosing not to kick a fieldgoal on second down from the 3 and letting his fumblefull tailback gain a bit of confidence by punching it in for the touchdown. Could be a turning point in the running game.

In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    To my knowledge we did not win the coin flip in OT- the Bengals did- they elected to take the ball, we chose the field direction

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Yeah I just took another look your right , but he still gets props for not abandoning the run and having the the confidence to stick with Henry, both Williams and travis might have been a fumble away from loosing their jobs.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    NEVER defer the kick in OT! (unless it's a hurricane in one direction) just ask Marty Morningweig (sp) of Detroit last season- did the exact same thing vs Chicago in similar weather and got burned... his team never saw the ball.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Right, caught me getting a cold one, but can GW get a coach of the year vote for not kicking the fieldgoal on second down and having the balls to hand off to Travis "brickhands" Henry.

Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    When do we reward playing with fire?

I thought that was GW's only really big gaffe of the game- but it could have been a killer if there was another fumble - Henry's ribs were killing him- bad ribs on even the surest-handed RB is a recipie for a fumble.

WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD. BuffaloRanger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by juice
    Right, caught me getting a cold one, but can GW get a coach of the year vote for not kicking the fieldgoal on second down and having the balls to hand off to Travis "brickhands" Henry.
    Coach of the year?? Juice must be GW's son. LOL
    Buffalo Only and Always.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Henry needed to be in the game and wanted the ball his coach showed he had confidence in his ability to hold the rock and punch it in. Kicking on second or third down could instill dought in this young back who is already having problems dealing with Willis maybe returning in a week. If he was hurting that bad Burns would have been in, with Burns in the game you kick.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Every team needs a coach, just hope we dont fire this one because he's not 8-0 going into the break. This is still a young team and only week 5.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by juice
    Every team needs a coach, just hope we dont fire this one because he's not 8-0 going into the break. This is still a young team and only week 5.
    The record we have isn't why people are *****ing about him. t's the job he's done coaching...not necessarily reflected in the win-loss column. He's not getting the most out of the talent that Donahoe brought in.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Juice, the Bills did not defer the overtime kickoff. That would have meant they won the coin toss. Actually, the Bengals won the toss and elected to receive so the Bills wisely chose to go with the wind. Just thought I would point that out.

Registered User TheGhostofJimKelly's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    How about this perspective. The Bills were a three point favorite, kicking the field goal makes it a push. I wonder how much money GW won on the game.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    well I am glad to see we did not abandon the run I know that is what KG is good at. From what I read it looked like we had a rough start I will give GW props. for sticking with the run.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Dozerdog
    NEVER defer the kick in OT! (unless it's a hurricane in one direction) just ask Marty Morningweig (sp) of Detroit last season- did the exact same thing vs Chicago in similar weather and got burned... his team never saw the ball.
    Can you imagine if GW did that and it backfired? People are already calling for his head.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,493 Times in 7,332 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by The_Philster

He's not getting the most out of the talent that Donahoe brought in.

I'm starting to think we have been giving Donahoe to much credit. The Mike Williams and Josh Reed picks are'nt looking to hot. Maybe he deserves some of the blame.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Fairway To Green

I'm starting to think we have been giving Donahoe to much credit. The Mike Williams and Josh Reed picks are'nt looking to hot. Maybe he deserves some of the blame.
    Nope, when Josh Reed played great as a 3rd wr last year making all those catches , we where happy about the pick. When MW was pancacking players, we were happy.

Cmon guys. TD has done a great job. It's not TD's fault Reed is dropping passes. Reed may need more time to get used to being no. 2. How long did it take Moulds to play like a no. 1? How long did it take Price to play like a no. 2? It wasn't up until last year for Price to have no. 1 stat nos. opposite Moulds .

TD is in charge of hiring the talent. It's the coaches job to put everything together.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
    How about this perspective. The Bills were a three point favorite, kicking the field goal makes it a push. I wonder how much money GW won on the game.

Bets end when regulation runs out. It doesnt matter if you cover in OT.
    LMB

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
    actually, the bills were an 8 point favorite. i dont know where you got your lines, but 8 is what vegas had. check usatoday.com.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    The final run did more for his young running back, and was a extreme show of confidence in travis. It says no matter who might be activated next week your the guy we're banking on now. I'm sure GW had an idea his ass was on the line if he fumbled. You have to show confidence in young players josh reed, mike williams etc. not bench them as soon as they miss a block or two if you do this you will lose your team.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Fairway To Green
    Well, nobody's perfect but at the same time, Williams is playing besides Pucillo, who sucks, and Reed is only in his second season. WRs don't always jump out and become stars very early. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's still out on those two.