• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • socalfan
    Old Fogey from Cali
    • Feb 2003

Things I didn't know about Gilbride

In the Bflo Evening news story, is the most condemning write up of Gilbride to date. The statistics would even wow Wys.

Gilbride Statistics

Did you know -

1 - The Bills have passed on all 56 3rd down plays they've had this year between the 20 yard lines?

2 - Did you know that in the Greatest Comeback Game - Gilbride while OC of Houston called more passing plays in the second half and overtime then the Bills did....even though at half Houston lead 35-3?

3 - Did you know that the Bills ran the ball more than Houston did on that day?

4 - Did you know that Gilbride has never got a team beyond the first round of the playoffs.

There is more in the article.....

Also everyone knows that Buddy Ryan tried to punch out Kevin Gibride during a game, .....did you know Buddy also connected with another assistant coach, who happened to also coach for the Bills...
  • SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

we need buddy ryan.he could smack Gee Dubya around too.:snicker2:
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• socalfan
      Old Fogey from Cali
      • Feb 2003

It's no wonder Buddy quit Houston after that year. I don't think he could hit KG hard enough to satisfy him.

Comment

• Wys Guy
        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
        • Jul 2002

How come nobody picked up on this a couple of weeks ago when I pointed out that like 48 drives had ended on third down passing plays, yet it takes an official article to grasp that reality?

Poor, poor Bills fans....
        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

Re: Things I didn't know about Gilbride

Originally posted by socalfan
          In the Bflo Evening news story, is the most condemning write up of Gilbride to date. The statistics would even wow Wys.

Gilbride Statistics

Did you know -

4 - Did you know that Gilbride has never got a team beyond the first round of the playoffs.

There is more in the article.....

Also everyone knows that Buddy Ryan tried to punch out Kevin Gibride during a game, .....did you know Buddy also connected with another assistant coach, who happened to also coach for the Bills...
          On 4, yes, yes I did! Did you know that I pointed that out when we hired him and was lambasted for "being an idiot"...

Do you know why Ryan punched out KG?

That answer won't shock you at all....

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Not to defend Gilbride in the Comeback game, but the RUN AND SHOOT offense is designed around throwing the ball 75% of the time. it has no tight ends- it has 4 wides for every play- including goal line formations.

The ONLY running play in the run and shot is the draw play. That's it.

Comment

• socalfan
              Old Fogey from Cali
              • Feb 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
              Not to defend Gilbride in the Comeback game, but the RUN AND SHOOT offense is designed around throwing the ball 75% of the time. it has no tight ends- it has 4 wides for every play- including goal line formations.

The ONLY running play in the run and shot is the draw play. That's it.

It seems to be that the run and shoot aka chuck and duck is probably not the best strategy to use throughout a game. Otherwise the defensive coordinator might deck ya.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                • Jul 2002

A strong rushing game combined w/ solid D are the hallmarks of championship teams. Passing games are an added plus, but rarely the reason why teams win conference or league championships.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

It seems to be that the run and shoot aka chuck and duck is probably not the best strategy to use throughout a game. Otherwise the defensive coordinator might deck ya.
                  Again, not to defend it- but it did take 2 teams to the playoffs numerous years (Oilers, Lions and the Falcons employed it as well.

It racked up 500 yards and 50 points on a lot of teams. Eventually, DB's and defenses evolved to handle it.

Comment

• socalfan
                    Old Fogey from Cali
                    • Feb 2003

Again, not to defend it- but it did take 2 teams tot he playoffs numerous years (oilers, Lions0 and the Falcons employed it as well.

It racked up 500 yards and 50 points on a lot of teams. Eventually, DB's and defenses evolved to handle it.
                    Zone blitzing in particular caused it plenty of problems.

Comment

• Dozerdog

Administrator Emeritus
                      • Jul 2002

Hmmm... And Dick LeBeau supposedly is the father of the Zone blitz-

....and here I was led to beleive by folks that LeBeau was a complete bum....

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        • Jul 2002

Why then, w/ his marvelous "invention", were his Ds consistently ranked in the bottom few of the league?

Not bottom half, but 3 times dead last if I'm not mistaken and usually amongst the worst 3 or 4?

Guess while he invented it, he doesn't know how to use it, eh.

And we were led to believe he did...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• socalfan
                          Old Fogey from Cali
                          • Feb 2003

Well in MA you can't be getting the Buffalo papers, so it must be rumors from the BZ that you are referencing. I thought most still think highly of him as a defensive coordinator. I wonder how good the Bills would be if he were calling the defensive plays?

Comment

• Wys Guy
                            • Jul 2002

Again, not to defend it- but it did take 2 teams to the playoffs numerous years (Oilers, Lions and the Falcons employed it as well.

Fans put way too much emphasis on "making it to the playoffs" instead of concerning themselves with whether or not they have the talent to win the big one.

No one knows better than Bills fans that simply winning a conference championship is not that much better than winning a divisional PO game if you can't "punch it in!"

Yet, it often seems that those are lessons long forgotten...

Besides, in today's league, "making it to the playoffs" often happens by accident for one or two teams each season. Other teams "backing out", or injuries late in the season, etc.

Why is "making it" to the POs such a great feat, especially when you're one of the last ones in?

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

Well in MA you can't be getting the Buffalo papers, so it must be rumors from the BZ that you are referencing. I thought most still think highly of him as a defensive coordinator. I wonder how good the Bills would be if he were calling the defensive plays?
                              How do you know he isn't?

Seems to me this D was nearly this good last year. Why, with Spikes now, Adams, Posey, Milloy, are we only marginally better? We should be incredibly better, no?

Perhaps the reason we aren't is b/c of LeBeau. It's quite possible.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X