X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

The kind of coach I want!

i want a coach that can turn chicken **** into chicken salad.

lets talk about that.. what guys are getting production out of little talent?

first guys on the top of my head...

the OC for New England. - how in gods name do they win with NO rb for 3 years???

Brian Billick - this guys teams are competive every year. he used to be considered an offensive mastermind, but i think he is a good leader of men, abeit being a pompus ass.. but i wouldnt mind if he was a pompus ass for the bills. there is a possibility that his job could be gone when modell sells the team and i would expect them to go on a nasty losing streak since boller is out for the season.. redman looks like an elementary school qb... so heads may roll.. you never know.

what other guys can you think of that are overachieving with less talent..
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • XNOUGHT
    • Mar 2003

Weis and Crennel for my Pats always seem to get the players to overachieve.

We need to make sure they don't end up with the Bills :hammeru: :hammeru: :hammeru:
    I'm lost.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

i would take either one.. that is true.. the OC and DC both have dealt with injuries and (not a knock on your team) less than superstar talent at almost all positions and still win.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

We could probably do worse than either of those guys.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• venis2k1
          Youboty can hope
          • Jul 2002

Most people want charlie weis, but here is a question, what is his record with drew bledsoe at QB?

Something like 5-13. not a good sign.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

i was kind of assuming that drew would not be in the picture and we would save a lot of money

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

I'm really tired of this coordinator crap. I want someone with solid credentials.

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

billsology.. you can be sick of the coordinator crap if you want.. but guess what.. there are NO coaches available that have solid credentials.. unless what you mean by solid credentials is that they have proved over and over that they can not win in the playoffs and superbowl..

so what do you propose about that? i would rather get the next new phenom than a retred old ass head coach that couldnt cut it with another highly talented team.. like green or coughlin.

so who are you suggesting?

if the coach is a winner, they dont get fired... ie, don shula.

Comment

• Historian
                  2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                  • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka

so what do you propose about that? i would rather get the next new phenom than a retred old ass head coach that couldnt cut it with another highly talented team.. like green or coughlin.

so who are you suggesting?

I'm suggesting ANYONE with experience at running an NFL program. Experienced at handling NFL egos, experienced at making NFL HC decisions. Maybe they weren't successful their first time out, ie, Bill Belicek, Marv Levy, or yes, Tom Coughlin, but the law of averages says they have learned from their mistakes, and with a little bit of Ralph's money, can get the job done here.

Wasn't Williams supposed to be the next phenom?? Sorry, three years later, this team is worse than when he started.

Even Wade Phillips, who was a COMPLETE FLOP in Denver and NO
                  did better here. Why? Experience. We have the talent. We need someone with experience to pull it all together.

Another reason I like Coughlin, is that he is a local guy, as well as a disciple of Parcells. (Not some idiot who carried a clipboard for Jeff Fisher!)

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
                    New and Improved!!
                    • Aug 2003

Billick would bring some personality and attention to Buffalo.
                    Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                      Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Billick would be fine, but Coughlin would bring a whole lot more personality, enthusiasm, and passion to the team.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                        Drew and Sam stole all my hair
                        • Jul 2002

I want a coach who's gonna "throw some chairs" in the lockerroom and instill some fear into the players that if they don't perform up to snuff then they risk sitting in favor of someone behind them who wants to play w/ more heart.

Levy was good, but lacked what it took to win us the big one. Proof of that lies in the very simple observation of how the Boys came out of the lockerroom at the half of that 13-6 HT score SB, v. how the Bills came out. Anyone having the tape just look at it. Simply the way both teams came out of the lockerroom following the half. Then you'll see why we gave up 24 unanswered in that game.

While JJ was in there tearin' the walls down no doubt. Marv was reading the players Hemmingway or some other poetry!

I want a coach who's visibly upset and very much so after we make stupid TOs, don't convert easy 3rd downs, and other stuff. I want a coach that isn't afraid to challenge the OC b/c he's the GM's good birthday party buddy!

This is more like a Washington, DC politically correct "say the right thing", propaganda machine coaching staff. In fact, the entire organization right now has way too many "marketing" people, starting w/ Donahoe, and not enough good, solid operational people.

Ralph wanted to "fix the team's image", and bring us back to respectability, so he hired Donahoe, a "well respected" GM that was well liked, blah, blah, blah..., and he did what he does. "Markets!" That's what we got. Big "name" players, regardless of whether or not they're on the downside of their careers or not. Top bucks for what either is or will be shortly diminishing play.

Meanwhile, jersey sales and other "PJ" sales go thru the roof, but the entire approah is shortsighted b/c no one thought about winning games, only getting a roster full of name players.

I want a coach that doesn't need a whole slate full of all the latest names for the last ten years to succeed!

We need coaches, but we also need an entire top-down revision of the way we handle this team beginning w/ "Mr. Genius" Donahoe! I'll give him this offseason to begin focusing on the lines, something that should have been done far more than it was since he's been here! Tucker, Teague, Sobieski, Pucillo simply weren't good enough, predictably.

Having said that BTW, Pucillo is improving to the point where I'm seein' some positives. But, being a 7th rounder, we may not know until '05 what his value is and he should have been learning as a backup, not a starter.

Anyhoo..., let's quit w/ the dillydallying through the NFL headlines and start fixing what's really wrong w/ this team and maybe, just maybe, the tickets that we buy at the beginning of the year may in fact be worth more than the cardboard and ink that they're on come week 15.
                        Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                          • Jul 2002

Billick seems like a decent candidate...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• IHateTheDullphins
                            New and Improved!!
                            • Aug 2003

I thought of the two, Billick has the most personality and passion. Coughlin is kinda bland.
                            Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll...uh...just check with the boys down at the crimelab. Yeah, they got four more detectives on the case....we're working in shifts!"

Comment

• Wys Guy
                              • Jul 2002

I don't know why everyone likes Coughlin so much. I'm not against him, but what did he ever do for Jax?

Seems like we always jump to conclusions here, just as w/ LeBeau. LeBeau stinks the joint up in Cincy for damn near an entire decade, then we sign him here, and everyone's all excited. Then we are perplexed when they don't add much and the team isn't very good. I just don't get it.

If we want a winning team, then how about getting someone who's been there and can taste it every season instead of some stiff who's been feeding of the bottom like a catfish!

Yet, several here, several very vocal ones here in fact, are ecstatic over LeBeau. Whatever. And we wonder why we aren't good.

Billick is a winner, Coughlin is not! Again, I'm not gonna write the season of if TC becomes our HC, but why not go for the ones with winning experience and SB experience in particular?!?!

I'd also be in favor of taking a good hard look at Cotrell. He was a winner here in Buffalo, is well respected too, and is doing a decent job in NY as the DC there. The Jets have given up only 15 more points that we have and don't have anywhere near the "names" on their D that we do.

I think we should also consider some other Coordinators as well if the right HCs aren't available or don't want to come here.

Someone, several actually, have suggested that TD won't hire someone who's gonna conflict w/ him and his decision making, which would thereby undermine a coach like Billick. If that's true, then I doubt a Billick would want to come here which raises another issue altogether.

That's why TD needs to be on thin ice if it is true. One more draft completely ignoring or even partially ignoring our most ardent needs, coupled w/ no decent coach wanting to come here due to TD and his "decision making" desires, and I say TD needs to go. We'll see tho, hasn't happened yet.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X