Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Economics teacher

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan

Just because we go to war doesnt mean that this scenerio has to happen. I agree this would be taking advantage of them. But it is possible to remove the iraq regime and bring capitalism to iraq without this happening
    I wish I could agree with this statement SoCal. Unfortunately, I see things differently.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Socal & Bledsoe: Thanks for the excellent conversation! Unfortunately, I have to call it quits now. Take care guys.

Expert on Experts SoCalBillsFan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    you too! Have a good one

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 3,440 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by RedEyE

BTW, I proudly served my country for 4 years and love the USA case anyone questions my ethics. I'm just not very proud of our political outreaching as of late.

Not questioning your love of country Red. Disagreement is part of what makes USA strong.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 3,440 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Good Night!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Really

Originally posted by SoCalBillsFan
    red- how much wealth do you think we can gain be going to war with iraq? I highly doubt it will really be a lot. I dont think Bush is doing this for wealth. And it isn't going to help his popularity. He is doing it because he thinks it is best for the country, not to make a profit.
    SoCalBillsFan,

Iraq is potentially one of the richest nations in the world. They have 10% of the the worlds oil (mostly light crude). France, Russia and China have set up major agreements with Iraq and have been waiting for the sanctions against Iraq to be lifted. The U.S. and the U.K. have been frozen out and could only benefit by changing the regime within Iraq. Isn't it interesting that the U.S. and the U.K. have taken on the role as the main instigators for a change in the Iraqi regime for the benefit of the whole world. As for Bush's popularity, as long as he can talk about "fighting for freedom and wrapping himself in the flag", he doesn't have to talk about the mess that the U.S. economy is in and that helps the Republicans in the up coming mid term election. "Hail the Chief"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by BledsoeTOreedfor6
    One more thing Red. What is so bad about Capitalism?

I could write a 20 page paper on this subject, but it wouldn't change any of your minds anyway.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I dont deny that this issue helps keep focus of the economy, but Bush is not the first to play that game anyways. Still, I dont think he is talking about this just to keep the focus off domestic issues. It is an issue itself.

Perhaps the U.S. will benefit, but I do not think that is the sole reason Bush wants to get rid of iraq.I think iraq is a concern to our national security. And regardless of economic implications it may have, that issue speaks the loudest to me.

Besides, if we do benefit from a new regime in terms of oil, that is not necesserily a bad thing. if the new regime is willing to deal with us and give us more oil I see that as a positive. It's only a problem if we try to control what they do with the oil, like red was talking about. But if they are willing to trade and do business, that only improves relations.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Sabre Ally

I could write a 20 page paper on this subject, but it wouldn't change any of your minds anyway.
    well how bout just a brief version?

yes it has its problems, but tell me what would be better and why

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I am here to make friends, not enemies. Perhaps I would be better off sticking to football threads.

However, let me clarify a bit.......capitalism itself is not inherently good or bad. When coupled with imperialism, however, it can be devastating. If only real world followed Star Trek's Prime Directive: It is forbidden to all spaceships and members of Starfleet to interfere with the normal development of any culture or society. This directive is more important than the protection of spaceships or members of Starfleet. Losses are tolerated as long as they are necessary to observe this directive.

Ok, I'm going to go talk football now before the conservatives lynch me.

clumping platelets
    I was hoping to discuss the Slutsky equation

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Uhh...........I looked that up and it's like, graduate level Microeconomics. Unfortunately, economics is one of my weak areas, and one of the reasons I chose to become a historian. I need a Slutsky Equation for Dummies page.

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Winfield, you will get much farther in life keeping your mouth shut, than you will by defying those in authority. Especially when those in authority are idiots.

Like in sports when you show up the ump, you will never get a close call again. Life is like that.

Mock her behind her back. You will get more satisfaction that way.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Remember what your ancestors fought for

Be cognizant of those who will take away your freedoms and liberties in an expressed effort to maintain your freedoms and liberties as to "how they preceive the country is best run".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Remember what your ancestors fought for

Originally posted by Blue_Bandxxx
    Be cognizant of those who will take away your freedoms and liberties in an expressed effort to maintain your freedoms and liberties as to "how they preceive the country is best run".
    I like your line of thought. Everything you expressed was extremly well stated and it's obvious that it has been plaguing your mind for quite some time.
    Last edited by RedEyE; 10-04-2002 at 03:28 PM.

Legendary Zoner Earthquake Enyart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: Remember what your ancestors fought for

Originally posted by Blue_Bandxxx
    Oh, please.

There is a difference between "fighting for liberty" and defying a teacher with inane banter that is not thought out.

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Sweet! We get rid of Saddam AND we get free oil! Seems like a win-win!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Registered User JefftheBillsfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I am in the middle in terms of democrat and republican...but to be honest...i usually find myself leaning towards the democrats. I think pres bush is doing a good job so far. to think that we should trust that scum is utterly ridiculous. he hasn't ever been worthy of our trust before, and he shouldn't be now. we need to do something ASAP....I will disagree about just nucing them though. if that is the only way to overthrow him...then yeah...do what it takes. but like afganstan...i don't think everyone is guilty in iraq and i would like to save as many innocent lives as possible. but if we don't do anything we will be the innocent lives. so we need to do something. way to stand up for yourself! My US history teacher is a lot like your ecenomics teacher. he has his opinion and to him...yours has no significance. even he can see that a war is needed...
    Its all about the quest.

in charge of you
    Administrator Emeritus
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I agree. Show respect, BUT the teacher should not throw you out if it's a time when you're allowed to speak.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,020 Times in 9,575 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Show respect? Isnt respect a thing that is earned not just given. I dont know about you but being nice to someone and being respectful are two diffrent things to me. This lady has purposely targeted me out of the class just because its my first year in an AP class. Everyone else has had them before. So please forgive my disrespectful nature in my talking to this woman, but I have damng ood reason not to be respectful or show any such kindness towards her. Secondly since when does a teacher automatically deserve more respect than the student either though they may be older. Older does not equal smarter or even more worthy of respect. It seems (and yes I know im changing the subject of the original post) that many of you have forgotten what it is like to be high school today. Many of the basic freedoms of the US constitution are not granted to students. Such as Freedom of Speech, and Press. Why are we not granted these? Because, we are minors who are supposedly not mature or not knowledgeable enough to understand and correctly interpurt our own individual rights. Which to me is utter and complete BS. Anyways back to the topic at hand. The Iraqis in my mind deserve no such benefit of having simple inspectors come and look at there countries weapon arsenal. What should happen is a simple bullet with Saddam Hussein's head engraved on it sent whizzing into his heart. The man must be stopped and now. The only thing stopping it is France (never friends of America), Russia (have an agreement to get Iraqi oil), and China (communist). Do we need to make Iraq captalist? No neccessairly but we do needs to set up a type of goverment that will be more friendly to ALL countries not just ours or theirs. Just my thoughts. Any comments?
    COMING SOON...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!