Thread: How can we get Madden off MNF?

Thanks
    Thanked 26,385 Times in 13,777 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

How can we get Madden off MNF?

I missed most of the MNF games this season because I had a really late class on Mondays, but I did manage to catch most of the Dolphins/Eagles game, and was quickly reminded of why John Madden is washed up. Here's a paraphrase of one of his insightful comments after Ricky Williams got stuffed for a 1 yard gain:

"That was excellent defense. They controlled the line of scrimmage, forced him to the outside then swarmed to the ball. Now THAT's how you play a Ricky Williams run".

Um, yeah, isn't that how you stop EVERY back whether it's Walter Payton or the 4th string walk-on for UB? He takes this defensive scheme that's as old as the sport of football and talks it up as though the Eagles had suddenly found a magic answer, right there on that play.

Madden was a great coach and has his name on some great video games, but his commentary is just mindless rambling.

Where the people look good, where the music is loud
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    They should bring in Don Cherry

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Ð
    They should bring in Don Cherry
    ?? I always thought he was a hockey guy. Although it doesn't take much to have better commentary than Madden- if he's watched more than 2 football games, he's probably good to go

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    stop watching...sadly...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Ebenezer
    stop watching...sadly...
    Or, we could just do the old Buffalo/Van Miller thing- turn the sound off on the TV and pick up the game on the radio- I'm sure it's broadcast nationally. That's probably a better idea

Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres. Jan Reimers's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,626 Times in 705 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Bring him in as our next HC.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Smith & Wesson.

"Let's Roll"
    Todd Beamer
    Flight 93
    9/11/01

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Re: How can we get Madden off MNF?

Originally posted by OpIv37
    I missed most of the MNF games this season because I had a really late class on Mondays, but I did manage to catch most of the Dolphins/Eagles game, and was quickly reminded of why John Madden is washed up. Here's a paraphrase of one of his insightful comments after Ricky Williams got stuffed for a 1 yard gain:

"That was excellent defense. They controlled the line of scrimmage, forced him to the outside then swarmed to the ball. Now THAT's how you play a Ricky Williams run".

Um, yeah, isn't that how you stop EVERY back whether it's Walter Payton or the 4th string walk-on for UB? He takes this defensive scheme that's as old as the sport of football and talks it up as though the Eagles had suddenly found a magic answer, right there on that play.

Madden was a great coach and has his name on some great video games, but his commentary is just mindless rambling.
    I havnt listen to Madden for years in my home. When I'm having a few with my friends Im amazed by what he says. Hes stoooopid!

BB