Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

I understand about being cautious, but this is getting ridiculous. We're not able to travel freely anymore. And forget about quick in and out at the airport. Between security (which I understand) now we have to check virtually everything we've packed. So much for carry-on bags. And honestly, if a crazy person was going to blow up a plane, who's to say he/she wouldn't hide something in baby food?

In response to the elevated terror threat, the TSA has implemented the following security measures on all flights.

BANNED:
    · Liquids or gels of any kind in carry-on luggage. Items must be checked.
    · This includes all beverages, shampoo, suntan lotion, creams, tooth paste, hair gel, and other items of similar consistency.

ALLOWED:
    · Baby formula, breast milk, or juice if a baby or child is traveling.
    · Prescription medicine with a name that matches the passenger’s ticket, and insulin and essential other non-prescription medicines.

There's not a stone in my heart I've left unturned
    Not a piece of my soul that I ain't searched
    The only answer I found for all this hurt
    Is there ain't not answer here on earth

ArcticWildMan

Re: More Carry-On Items Banned on Planes

It does suck but it's needed. I'd rather pack my toothpaste and other items in my checked bag than risk some terrorist blowing the airplane up.

Like was said in another thread: "welcome to the 21st century".

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Kills my plans for my trip to Buffalo. I am going carry-on only. Guess I will have to pick up toothpaste and shampoo on that end.

My question....if you have a small toothpaste tube in your picket, how would they know?? They don't xray your body? and you only empty pockets if you beep

Thanks
    Thanked 26,168 Times in 13,657 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticWildMan
    It does suck but it's needed. I'd rather pack my toothpaste and other items in my checked bag than risk some terrorist blowing the airplane up.

Like was said in another thread: "welcome to the 21st century".
    if we're afraid of toothpaste, the terrorists have already won.

ArcticWildMan

You have to empty your pockets at the security checkpoints. That's been ongoing for a while. I wouldn't want to be you if you tried to sneak in that tube of toothpaste.

Raging hypocrite and resident troll Discotrish's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,531 Times in 3,994 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by Valerie
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"][B]I understand about being cautious, but this is getting ridiculous. We're not able to travel freely anymore. And forget about quick in and out at the airport. Between security (which I understand) now we have to check virtually everything we've packed. So much for carry-on bags. And honestly, if a crazy person was going to blow up a plane, who's to say he/she wouldn't hide something in baby food?
    The security for food service personnel isn't all that thorough, either. Say you're boarding a plane in Detroit. Food service guy smuggles Suspicious Hair Gel plus Suspicious Toothpick Detonator onto plane. Islamic guy knows where to find the stuff after he boards, slips into his bag for further assembly either when he's doing potty, or when he has his head between his knees in the airline seat.

Dastardly!

Patti
    Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by LtFinFan66
    Kills my plans for my trip to Buffalo. I am going carry-on only. Guess I will have to pick up toothpaste and shampoo on that end.

My question....if you have a small toothpaste tube in your picket, how would they know?? They don't xray your body? and you only empty pockets if you beep
    that's why a lot of this security is worthless. It's just eye candy so some government executive can justify his six-figure salary with the outward appearance of security.

ArcticWildMan

Quote Originally Posted by OpIv37
    if we're afraid of toothpaste, the terrorists have already won.
    Until they have the ability to test for these kinds of chemicals involved in this kind of plot, I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

I don't think having to check toothpaste is a "victory" for the terrorists. It's an annoyance but nothing more.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

You have to empty your pockets at the security checkpoints. That's been ongoing for a while. I wouldn't want to be you if you tried to sneak in that tube of toothpaste.
    I thought they only made you empty pockets if you set off the metal detector

Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby Meathead's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,785 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

i doubt that its needed and would bet its more likely a mainly psychological measure

but i wont complain about it because it will work itself out. we are getting smarter and dont just accept what we are told anymore, courtesy of king george

given that theyve continued to fail the penetration tests ill be interested to see if this helps them or not. my guess is no. we should know in about a year

but i can just imagine people in a room looking at each other for answers and coming up with this. now we have to wait for the roll to come to rest

btw - didnt they ask the heebs, those people know how to foil plane attacks
    One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

Send all your stuff by UPS and pick it up at the hotel.

It's worth the $15.00 IMO

ArcticWildMan

Everybody *****ing about our security measures needs to fly on an El-Al fllight and undergo the screening that the Israelis put you through.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,124 Times in 2,078 Posts
    Power to Give Rep

I can picture the suitcase lobby fighting this but it would be nice if some regulations were put in to really limit what people drag down the aisles of an airplane.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Until they have the ability to test for these kinds of chemicals involved in this kind of plot, I'd rather they err on the side of caution.

I don't think having to check toothpaste is a "victory" for the terrorists. It's an annoyance but nothing more.
    one of the many annoyances that taken as a whole have changed our lifestyle- that's why it's a victory.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Everybody *****ing about our security measures needs to fly on an El-Al fllight and undergo the screening that the Israelis put you through.
    are you suggesting that the US is now as unsafe as Israel?

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

no biggie really at least it will be quicker to board and un board airplanes, I assume ther will be little or no carry on baggage soon

ArcticWildMan

No, I'm saying that you would freak if you saw what the Israelis do for airline security.

You can ***** and moan about our security measures all you want but they are in place to keep us as safe as possible. I'll gladly pack my toothpaste in my checked baggage if it means we deny the crazies in the world a means to blow us up.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    no biggie really at least it will be quicker to board and un board airplanes, I assume ther will be little or no carry on baggage soon
    Quote Originally Posted by EricStratton
    I can picture the suitcase lobby fighting this but it would be nice if some regulations were put in to really limit what people drag down the aisles of an airplane.
    When we went to DC, some of the carry on bags were bigger than my main suitcase. I think carry on should be banned.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

Quote Originally Posted by L.A. Playa
    I disagree. I think it will take LONGER to get through security because if they see something that looks like lotion, toothpaste or shampoo in a carry-on, they'll have to inspect it by hand.

Saving the World One Signature at a Time! Valerie's Avatar
    Somewhere on a Beach sipping something strong
    Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

That's my point, LA, you can't carry much of anything on the plane anymore. If I'm going away for a weekend trip and I only have one bag, I would prefer not to hassle with baggage claim. By checking bags, you're adding a lot of unneeded extra time and inconvenience, IMHO.

And, like I said, who's to say something won't be carried through in baby food? If you're going to ban my water, the baby's water should be banned too. I fully understand the need for safety precautions, but this is getting out of hand.